Saxophone Forum

by trmusicals
(4 posts)
18 years ago

Baby Saxophone

Hi, I am Davinder Kumar, for TR Musicals, India. We are saxophone and clarinet manufacturer. I would like to tell you about our new product. This time we have introduces a baby saxophone, this saxophone looks similar to the normal saxophone as it is smaller in size and lesser in weight as compare to the normal saxophone. this beatiful piece is available in gold laquered, nickle polish and brass finishing. our products are listed on our website www.trmusicals.com/mainmanufacturing.htm we also make reeds for both clarinet and sxophones. the cane we uses for this is Indian Cane, this grows up a Kashmir which is in Northern India. I would definately like to hear from you what you think and have if specific question that would be really appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Baby Saxophone

Mr. Kumar, I've seen the full sized examples of these horns coming out of India (including your products) and they are of novelty quality only, at best. Not to denigrate you or your company/product line unnecessarily, I have to say that these hardly belong on a serious discussion board about professional Saxophones. I see you are still more or less loosely copying the 166 year plus original designs of A. Sax (some of which are being passed of on Ebay as legitimate examples of the same). To sum up politely: If one is looking for a sax to make a planter, table lamp etc out of, this is just the ticket, but alas nothing more.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

18 years ago

This isn't a discussion about professional saxophones, and you were far from polite. Mr. Kumar has every right to post here. :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

This isn't a discussion about professional saxophones, and you were far from polite. Mr. Kumar has every right to post here. :) Strangely enough, you seem to be correct. The Posting Policies has no mention of barring spam [bot or human generated], which is what I find the opening post to be.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

18 years ago

jamterry, I invite you to inspect one of these first hand and "honor" us with your opinion......you will see that I was more than polite. If you knew what you were speaking of before posting, you would know that these are slave labor produced, trinket grade products being passed off en mass as original A. Sax horns on Ebay and else where, largely by the manufacturers themselves. Both from India and Saikot, Pakistan and all of them sweatshop environments. I've seen some of them first hand, while on a prospective client tour for of all things a well known (within the industry) Great Highland Bagpipe making firm. Cheers.

Reply To Post

2. by martinsaxman2
          (13 posts)

18 years ago

I have to agree with Sax on this one. I got to handle one of these horns, and what a tin can it was too! Red plastic pads and the thing played like an ashtray. Nothing approaching a real instrument.

Reply To Post

3. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

jamterry didn't say you were *wrong*, just that 'This isn't a discussion about professional saxophones, and you were far from polite.' So where's the problem?

Reply To Post

4. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

18 years ago

Well, as of this moment flippant comments such as yours that fuel a fire that didn't previously exist. You'll note that I've kept the discussion about the horn being offered for comment, not personal attacks against the individual, unlike others it seems. I definitely don't think my honesty about the product was being "rude", however if it is perceived as such I can definitely counter that mine was not the only rude post in this thread. So how about that horn?

Reply To Post

5. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

18 years ago

"So how about that horn?" I, for one, have had the extreme displeasure of having not one but two of these "Curry Canisters" show up at my shop. IMHO saxismyaxe was being too kind in his comments. In a word; Garbage! In two words; TOTAL GARBAGE! Please people, do not get caught by the low prices of these horns. They are not worth even half of what they sell them for! JMHO

Reply To Post

6. by trmusicals
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

i think the two at your shop are 'GARABGE', you are'nt able to sell them, but the one which we are selling are not 'GARBAGE' or in your two words 'TOTAL GARBAGE' , these are new innovative instruments

Reply To Post

7. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

18 years ago

I'm not attempting to start a witch hunt Mr. Kumar, however we are not a couple of neophytes in the study of the Saxophone, both musically and as a part of material culture. I'm a professional Saxophonist with over 30 years experience, a staff member with 3 very prominent Sax forums, and posses a prodigious collection of Vintage horns covering almost the entire time line of the instrument's existence. I am also an amateur technician who works on and restores horns for my own collection. Tbone is a professional Technician and Saxophonist who has worked on literally thousands of horns. Suffice to say, our experience with these "innovative" (or those of this ilk) horns, as well as your own self published photos of the same, paint a thousand words. I'm adamant about this because I don't want the perception to be that a fledgling student should/could run out and pick one of these up cheap and hope to play and learn with it. Frankly, most who buy them did so because they were uneducated about the topic, and learned a costly lesson. I don't think Mark and the owners of a quality instrument dealer such as SAXQUEST want this to happen either. You asked for comments and here they are. My only apology is that they aren't what you wanted to hear. Best of luck to you.

Reply To Post

8. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Nobody wants to read words like prodigious; this isn't a vocabulary exercise. Nobody how cares how big your saxophone collection is; we are discussing a new product. You have already given your opinion on it, so let it rest. Being a technician doesn't mean that you can play. I don't touch my horns except when I'm playing them. Please stop insulting Mr. Kumar. I'm embarassed to read your posts .

9. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

You know, I didn't want to bite anymore on this, but for some reason there's a few questions I need to ask about this horn: these are new innovative instruments One thing I personally don't care for is advertizing and marketing. To me, the buisiness of advertising has become a game of fraud and deception against the consumer at large, but portrayed in a way that one can't be held liable by using nebulous terms such as "innovative". Tha's not an accusation, thats my opinion of marketing as a whole. I do like to cut through things. So, what's so innovative about your horn? i see a horn that's keyed down to B only (instead of Bb) and up to Eb (instead of F or F#), is that true? Does it have an automatic octave key? Is the Keywork powerforged brass? Is it tuned to A=440 (lowpitched)? The pads look like the kind that are large, puffy, and very soft in order to attempt to overcome poor factory regulation (instead of flat, firm, high quality pads you usually find from major manufacturers) and they make for a very sloppy, spongy feel to the action. Does that describe the pads on these instruments? Other questions: Do you service and setup instruments inhouse? What do you do when a customer gets a horn via mail that doesn't play or play well? Are you or anyone on your staff woodwind players? What qualifies you to describe these instruments as "innovative"? These I feel are questions potential buyers need to ask about any horn or dealer they're considering (not just trmusicals)

Reply To Post

10. by gemster
          (51 posts)

18 years ago

"curry canisters'? must you really resort to that kind of term? Mr Kumar is allowed to advertise his product, and what ever you think of it, could you please be more polite. AND WHEN YOU WRITE ALL YOUR WORDS IN CAPITALS IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE SHOUTING. Which you may be. But still it would be nicer if you didn't. Bad quality the saxes may be, but hey crap things get advertised all the time.

Reply To Post

11. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Well said Mark Levelle and Gemster :) Terry

12. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

18 years ago

"Mr" Jamterry, My position on the staff of other Sax forums inhibits me from commenting on you personally as candidly as I would like to, and it appears that you have a personal agenda against me beyond the topic of this product. I will therefore agree that we very much disagree, and suggest that we move on.

Reply To Post

13. by gemster
          (51 posts)

18 years ago

personal agenda? I am pretty sure that jamterry doesnt have an agenda... but then again i read on a website that the English royal family are all reptiles from mars so i suppose anything is possible,,, you are behaving like a little girl. please stop- as you are a staff member you should not be so petty as to attack people personally in such a sarcastic and unfriendly way. "jamterry, I invite you to inspect one of these first hand and "honor" us with your opinion......you will see that I was more than polite." calm down please. you are not acting like a mature adult and therefore i cannot respect you, which is a pity as i am sure you have many valid opinions to give on subjects which may benefit the general populus. phew im all done, discussion over. if you dont like the sax, dont buy it - tis simple...

Reply To Post

14. by martinsaxman2
          (13 posts)

18 years ago

I don't want to get in between you guys, but just looking at whats going on, I don't see anything that saxaxe has said could be counted as inmature or wrong. I'm gonna say that I trust the opinons of a pro technician and a pro musician with 30yrs exper. over a trolling hack from Cali and a 16 year old kid.....yeah I checked. Carry on with the war!

Reply To Post

15. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks Tbone and Martin, however it is painfully apparent that we are wasting our time with this lot. Personally, I've said what I think of the horn (personal attacks not withstanding), and stand by my statements. Definitely a case of "leading a horse to water...."

Reply To Post

2. by bobstad6
        (38 posts)

18 years ago

I have purchased one of the "baby saxophones"(a curved soprano) from Davinder Kumar, and recieved no more or less than what I'd expected for an instrument that was sold for $34 in New Delhi.(my final cost in northern California about a year ago with shipping and handling was $110) I'll have to admitt I was hoping my expectations might've been exceded, as far as the precision and quality and adjustment I'm used to in more conventional saxes-but I shop actively for my saxophones and this habit leaves my expectations high...if also often finding me with instruments needing some TLC once I've gotten them.(having the habit of checking want ads, pawnshops and discounted sources; and enjoying the hunt as well as the feast, so to speak...I'm mechanically minded and find the successes of a society can be measured through its most common achievements; and production, sales and distribution are surely three of these) What I recieved was exactly what I'd envisioned and hoped for at this low price; that is a simple playable instrument that is inexpensively made and which their website photos represent honestly and accurately. This is an instrument whose mechanism has been greatly simplified-in order to lower production costs I'm assumning, and I don't see how detractors are calling this something passed off as an "original" A. Sax design?(an excellent example of which I've seen here at Saxquest.com, and that seems much more similar to conventional designs than to this Indian saxophone) There is no low Bb, one low and mid F# fingering using the middle right hand finger, and one fingering for mid or high Bb-of an A fingering and using the lower right hand side key, and the G# fingering is a positive one rather than relying upon a spring to lift the key since the G# is not integrated into the mechanisms for low C# or B. There are also only two left hand palm keys, for Eb and E. One surprising feature was the high quality of the mouthpiece included, which is of hard rubber and very well made and that a person could expect to spend at least as much for as the horn itself costs in India; and the two cane reeds included also seemed exceptional, with a very straight consistent grain and a well-aged honey color-I've played on plastic BARI reeds for years so didn't give their reeds much of a test, though I was struck by their unique look and that seemed to suggest a very good quality and also a different product than European cane...this company, says their website, began as a reed making and selling concern using native Kashmiri cane in 1980, and now also produces saxophones and clarinets and sells besides these several other both Indian and western style musical instruments and a few odd items made of brass, etc.) A number of years ago I remember writing friend Tom Russell who was a student of New York avant garde' jazz woodwind teacher Joe Napoleon and who had studied at Julliard(as well as being drafted into the infantry in the Viet Nam war) and has long been a founding member of the band Obrador;(obradorDOTorg) that the world might be better served if some sort of very simplified saxophone design were created and produced that would be more affordable than the typical sax, yet offer the same sound and tonality and some of the same playing enjoyments.(I'm also a fan of the left-handed saxophone, whose only examples I know of are from some of Albert Ayler's album covers) I think this example from trmusicalsDOTcom well approaches what I had in mind; and as I wrote Davinder Kumar; with increased distribution and refinements the potential to perfect the instrument seems realistic.(I've also tried making a saxophone from a $1.13 plastic automotive fluid funnel, with interesting results-though still experimental since I've yet to find a method to locate the tone holes very accurately and am still using just hand tools, etcetera; though I did luck out earlier once, producing a hand's breadth long instrument using the bell and barrel joint and mouthpiece of an Eb clarinet joined by the tenons of the keybody with nine tone holes that over-blows the octave and plays chromatically and is very musical and with a phenomenal dynamic range that can be nearly as loud as a zurnah's) To my comments to Davinder Kumar about the horn I got a reasonabley defensive response. I'd thought a greater precision and quality could be achieved and the ergonomics of the instrument could be improved, and had suggested using instead of leather pads the Dutch TopTone rubber pads that would last indefinitely, but require a more precision mechanism to work effectively.(the pad design is a much puffier type than a normal sax, to compensate for the less precise mechanism this much more inexpensive design has necessitated) I think for the price of the horn that these would have to be evolutionary changes and even with huge sales this might not be feasible if the price were to be kept near as low as what I paid-and assumning the general balancing of the global economy and conditions for inhabitants, and the advance of some of the lowest paid persons in one of the world's largest countries who have been characteristically under-paid and exploited through a long colonial history.(shipping costs are said to lower if more than one or a few instruments are purchased, though their prices have risen since my purchase almost a year ago...a friend whose small local import shop where he sells mostly clothing and religious type items I used as an address to have the horn sent to who purchases extensively from both India and China says shipping costs have become the dominant expense to his business, and are continuing to rise almost exponentially-and I've read that in India currently advances for the upper and middle classes are much at the expense of the lower class/more numerous masses, specfically as regards improvement of air quality and also other ecological concerns) I found I had to humor the horn at first a little to get it to play adequately-using a bit more of a subtone than I'm used to in the notes lower than the right hand mid range to keep from squacking occassionally, but once I've accepted the realities and have focused on my playing and music, it is certainly playable and fun, and proficiency soon comes readily. The action is also pretty stiff, and I don't know if I could adjust this or not by bending the springs a little but I'd guess I could affect some improvements. I have not been to India or seen the factory producing these saxophones, but have to imagine that workers there recieve compensation similar to their peers in that country, and in such a situation are striving with all the rest of their countrymen and countrywomen to improve their status as heavily exploited former colonials in what was once the largest empire in the world, and controlled for the benefit of one of the world's smallest countries.(India has a large and active communist party by the way, so we can imagine there is a consistent effort in behalf of workers there that is aggressive and reasoned) If "sweat-shop" conditions that are unique to the production of this saxophone exist, that is justly condemned, but I'd guess that the person who has made this accusation has not compared the situation to that of the rest of the country or the world?(to try to avoid starvation, war or pestilence capitalism forces participation and especially so in colonial or former colonial places...I'm always circumspect of my judgements for instance when the treatment of women in countries resisting exploitation by the multinational oil industry are touted as one of the reasons for attempting to control those governments-which in a more congenial situation might modify to become more supportive of a more diverse range of their citizenry...on whose backs are the advantages and advances in the richer nations borne?) I've seen far eastern examples of copies of current saxophone "state of the art" design,(more or less) that were being sold here in Eureka, CA at a mall in a store mostly devoted to motor bikes and other low-powered similar mechanised devices, and had been very attracted by a soprano made by the Chinese company GOLDEN TROPHY that had some minor damage to the neck I could've bought for $200 if I'd had the money and moved quickly.(originally offered for $300) This instrument, I'm guessing because of its size, had seemed of much better execution and quality than the same brand's alto or tenor there, which were instruments that seemed very faulty and poorly constructed, though echoing all of the "bells and whistles" included in designs of the flashiest and most expensive saxophones now being made. I think a simplified design is an alternative to these types of instruments, as far as providing instruments both affordable and playable. If a person is concerned with "sweat shops" I think one has to ask why no saxophones are being produced in the United States, which once produced saxophones that rivaled or perhaps excelled any others, and with designs that were simple and sturdy and built with the highest quality. I've owned a half a dozen excellent Bueschers, a sopranino, a soprano, an alto and three tenors; and was very impressed with my Windor model tenor, a student horn from the '50s or '60s which had a very simple and unadorned design, yet a very light fast action, good intonation and easy response, and was incredibley sturdy and strongly built...and my current Yamaha YAS-23 alto is a similar horn that I think is a good value. But, what is the going price for a YAS-23 right now? About $1700 for a new one through the mail order place THE WOODWIND AND THE BRASSWIND and even more at some local retailer's.(their catalogue has interesting looking horns for less than that, with altos and sopranos begining at around $300-$550 and there are other on-line places that offer similar bargins that likely are a decent value...I paid $225 for the Buescher Windsor about ten years ago, from the original owner who stopped playing it that he'd bought in high school as a clarinetist-who advertised in Berkeley's Flea Market Want Ads paper, and my Yamaha was $450 two and a half years ago from an ad in the Olympia, WA daily that a student was selling who'd gotten a more expensive horn...though I notice on one of his CD cover photos the great Bulgarian Rromani-Turkish alto saxophonist Yuri Yunakov who I've met, plays an alto that is the exact same model as my Yamaha) So, if a person who is not attracted to the often nuerotic professional and academically oriented mileau many saxophonists seem to regard as the only arena the sax provokes any interests in...if someone-say as flautist Nancy Curtis of Bert Wilson's REBIRTH band(bertwilsonDOTcom) commented about this "baby saxophone" -wanted something to "take to BURNING MAN" and wail on for a long weekend, then I think this horn of trmusicalsDOTcom represents a good value and also perhaps an investment in the advancement of the world economy and music generally. Probabley only as such instruments are popularised will their niche' be really discovered, and a variety of other single reed touted as sax-sounding instruments of modest price are available which I doubt have as authentic a sax sound or feel as these horns from trmusicalsDOTcom.( with somewhat the exception of the single reed conical bore horn I made from the remains of a Bundy resonite Eb clarinet I managed to get particularly violent with very spontaneously one evening) I believe the automotive fluid funnel type conical bore single reed horn may have potential, though I notice the quality of the plastic seems to be declining and perhaps not as musical. With a sax similar conical bore, the challenge is to make the instrument small enough a complicated mechanism is not required that has finger holes near the bottom that a person's finger can cover. "Open" tone holes such as on a recorder or a simple flute or whistle give the potential for half-holing to achieve a chromatic effect, which is desireable if as simplified a mechanism as possible is to be achieved, and which seems interesting to play-perhaps even with mouthpieces specifically designed for such an instrument?(I've been trying to think why single-reed designs have taken so long to come about, considering the incredible antiquity of double-reed instruments...and with the easy adaptability of a single reed design to animal horns-I guess because of a conical bore, that a complex mechanism is practically required and that the means to produce such a thing effectively were lacking and/or discouraged) Conventional saxophones sometimes seem profoundly complex and expensive devices to try to foist upon young children often very unfamiliar with music, as has at least been in the past the situation with begining institutionally taught music in this country and feasibley why that cause has not been more taken up lately as school music programs decline...I remember at PENDERS MUSIC STORE in '71 in Denton, TX that sold sheet music and accessorys, the owner told me band teachers got kick-backs selling upscale instruments to high school musicians; and that likely languished in closets or soon were sold once the student was beyond the formal music system that was part of the mandatory education required. I'd be interested in knowing more about how these instruments of trmusicalsDOTcom are sold and played in their native country,(and elsewhere) which I see web surfing has a growing national interest in the saxophone and some virtuosos who've adapted the sax to classical and classically derived Indian music-both there and in other countries such as the United States. From photos I've seen the prominent players are using high quality conventional instruments, but I wonder if these less expensive saxophones are allowing begining or less advantaged players a playing opprotunity? I remember in the early '70s when I'd been more interested in learning to be an instrument repairman, that I'd spoken with someone who went on to become the repairman for the Seattle Public School System, and he'd commented that at one time there were as many saxophone manufacturers in this country as then there were guitar makers, and that the sax had been much more popular then. Nowdays in this country music perhaps is becoming even more an exclusive interest, as the number of school districts that support music or art programs is ever diminishing thanks to all the economy being driven into the effort to remain the world's one super-power, etc. I think, if you accept the idea of music being as its called "the universal language" there is a long ways to go before very many of us reach a reasonable degree of literacy or even a modest fluency; and as compelling a voice as the saxophone is(my alto sound reminds me specifically of the voice of a couple of women friends I've greatly admired who are very musically oriented) I think the increasing popularisation of the instrument is a positive thing, and that a much simplified design could evolve-providing an inexpensive alternative. Here are the prices I was quoted when I bought the horn I have.(which I need to replace, as I've given it to a young son of my oldest niece whose parents are both saxophonists; and which I've borrowed back from them-creating accusations of my becoming an "Indian giver" though which is unavoidable) The first horn is an alto. Subject: Re:New Indian Saxophones for Sale Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 09:11:15 +0530 (IST) Hello Sir, I am Davinder Kumar, for TR Musicals, India. Thank you for your enquiry. Sir the price for indian saxophones are:- Product Name Price USD 1) Saxophone Brass Shining(without box) 35.00 2) Saxophone Nickle Shining(without box) 36.00 3) Saxophone Brass Shining(with box) 39.00 4) Saxophone Nickle Shining(with box) 40.00 Prices for a Baby Saxophone are as follow:- Price USD 1)Baby Saxophone Brass Shining(w/o box) 34.00 2)Baby Saxophone Nickle Shining(w/o box) 35.00 3)Baby Saxophone Brass Shining(with box) 37.00 4)Baby Saxophone Nickle Shining(with box) 38.00 Note:- (i) All prices are F.O.B. Delhi. (ii) These prices are for bulk order, if you want 2-3 pcs prices are little more. (iii) These instruments are also available in Antique finishing and prices are 5% extra. Hope to hear from you soon with positive replies. Kind Regards Davinder Kumar For TR Musicals India Mobile No.- +91 9810293737

Reply To Post

1. by bobstad6
          (38 posts)

18 years ago

I'm sorry in my long previous post to've botched the quotation marks, that seem often on computer sites to need to have apostrophies instead to come out readabley.(none of the previews I made anticipated this, and apparently there is no way now to correct this error?)

Reply To Post

1. by martinsaxman2
            (13 posts)

18 years ago

So after 33+ paragraphs, the final consensus is that this is still a cheap piece of crap? Sheesh.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I looked at this post a couple days ago, and wasn't going to reply, but it seems to be getting a lot of attention, so here are my $.02. I think many of the readers here have had their fill of cheap, poor quality saxophones. As a tech in my spare time, I see several of these poor quality horns from Asia that do not play right if they even play at all. I read the advertising on these various websites and ebay and I can't believe the CRAP that these people are saying. They call these horns Innovative, Professional Quality, German Engineered, etc. Make no mistake about it, they ARE CHEAP PIECES OF CRAP!!! I like the questions that Johnson asked. I am curious to hear what trmusicals has to say in response. These are valid questions that should be asked of any instrument, especially an unknown brand. But, in regards to trmusicals original post...Of course, he has EVERY rignt to post here. He's selling saxophones, not cell phones, shoes or video game systems! I welcome him as a member and I am curious to learn more about his product. Sure, it may not be more than a toy to us professional saxophone players, but it might look pretty neat hanging on the wall above my piano. For less than $100, what do you expect? Hell, I might even buy one!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by KingNecron
              (76 posts)

18 years ago

Amen.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by martinsaxman2
              (13 posts)

18 years ago

Amen to what: That they are cheap pieces of crap, or that they are wonderful wall hangings (or both)?

Reply To Post

4. by bobstad6
              (38 posts)

18 years ago

I get carried away writing. Trying to play an advocate for this instrument I hope I was able to give arguments as to why I invested in one, but I also feel worth mentioning that given what I recieved even a modest amount of attention to detail would've given a much more playable product. I was fooling around with it a little today, and discovered the real problem is the side Bb whose pad is nearly seated sideways from what it is supposed to be. Why are "bad" saxophones produced, both very simple designs like this that shouldn't raise great expectations, or say like some Olds or other brands of the past that never seemed to excuse their faultyness simpley because they were lower priced? What sort of motivations are there for companies that continue to churn out what we all know are inferior products?(until the whole industry is dead, as in the United States, that once was vibrant) Why do designs that in no way can compete with the best continue to be used? I guess this is just a situation where whipping a dead horse, so to speak, is prefered to an honorable approach of say, getting a job as a janitor somewhere, or pan-handling, robbing banks or whatever and leaving industry to those most qualified at it. These little horns are intriguing, and its too bad that there isn't the sensitiveness enough to at least make them as playable as their potential as this really discourages anyone's playing them when for around $100 a person could have some fun and not have to pony up a fortune just for a few kicks.

Reply To Post

5. by bobstad6
              (38 posts)

18 years ago

And, very oddly, the mouthpiece is an excellent one.(?)

Reply To Post

6. by bobstad6
              (38 posts)

18 years ago

A friend who plays folk-dance music professionally just came up with a full sized acoustic steel stringed guitar made in China purchased through Musician's Friend for $50 that is incredible; a mail-order online outfit operating out of Oregon.(with paper catalogues upon request that never stop coming) Not that the guitar is the saxophone's natural enemy(WHO SAID THAT?!) but the value my friend recieved is phenomenal. What gives?(I met Harvey Pittel in '73 while taping him for KAOS radio, and he compared the saxophone to the violin's development 500 years ago; sort of an esoteric way to look at things?)

Reply To Post

7. by musicman_horton
              (19 posts)

18 years ago

After looking at the website, I would raise several eyebrows to the quality, or lack there of, in the instrument. As a complete side note, Mr. Connsaxman_Jim, I am a former Michigander, having lived in Midland from birth, then Kalamazoo for college at Western, and finally in Mason before moving out to California. It's great to see a friendly face here.

Reply To Post AIM

8. by Tbone
              (120 posts)

18 years ago

I have no problem with Mr. Kumaradvertizing his products here or anywhere else. That said, my opinion of his products that I've seen stands. Curry canisters. Many cheap sax manufacturers make wild unfounded claims of "New Modern Engineering" when, in truth, they are merely inadequate, second rate copies of some other brand. Sheer mathematics would prove to any reasonably intelligent human being that a sax that retails for their prices can not possibly have any real engineering put into them. As far as the personal attacks on this thread, I commented on the products made by Mr. K's company and did not attack him personally. I can't attack him personally, I don't even know him! He may well be a very nice person. He just sells inferior saxes IMHO. To those that choose to attack people personally, that's a sign of immaturity. If you choose to attack someone rather than debate the issues at hand you've already lost the arguement. To those who wish to debate the issues at hand I say "bring it on"! To those who wish to attack people personally instead of debating like an adult I say "grow up"! I'm climbing down off my soapbox now.

Reply To Post

9. by bobstad6
              (38 posts)

18 years ago

I think I have to admitt to being the person who invited Mr. Kumar to Saxquest in the first place.(now that I think of it...) I've emailed him often, and the suggestion about Saxquest was made several months past, but I only recieved a response suggesting I look at his post here after I'd been in Portland, Oregon less than two weeks ago to listen to a solo saxophone performance by Bert Wilson, who has played with John Coltrane and who has a number of recordings available...the week before I'd been even further north to listen to THE TIPTONS, a saxophone quartet with a drummer who are internationally known and record. There is a question, as to what the goals are of Mr. Kumar in producing these instruments. They seem to rise to just below the level of being interesting and playable. Without going into the issue of how these are marketed other than at TRMusicals website, it seems only myself and a few others as niave expect these horns to be played. What is produced could be made to be playable yet are not. I've wanted seriously to try to sell and distribute these horns, but only as musical instruments. While not what one might want to begin to practice Glasinov's Concerto For Saxophone on, or use to develope a facility for improvising in twelve keys; they are, were they more well realised, sufficient for someone with musical orientation to enjoy playing.(and the mouthpiece that came with the instrument is the equal at least of those that come with the best horns)(?) I live in an place whose economy besides a waning logging industry, is mostly devoted to illegal commercial cannabis cultivation.(the largest such area in the country-where I broke down and was stranded ten years ago while driving from the San Francisco bay area to Olympia; living out of my vehicle since '82 in Ojai, CA, and off and on before then) There is a huge population of indigents here in Humboldt County in Northern California who are drug addicts(some of whom have grown quite wealthy) drawn by the social climate and economic opprotunities.(concurrant with a popular campaign devoted to saving the remaining ancient redwood trees here; that are a spectacular feature of the wilderness locally and whose cause also attracts many devotees that often are practically indistinguishable from the drug users) Without doubt, these persons all have great attraction to or interests in music and are not children of some degree of priveledge seeking an introduction to becoming virtuosos,(though considerabley child-like usually, unfortunately) yet whose often blighted lives could be brightened by having an inexpensive instrument such as TRMusicals design to play, were the things useable.(drumming has been banned from nearby Arcata as being disruptive, where there is a large and very visible population of indigents living on the streets who make the place their home...many including myself consider them a public nuisance, though with varying philosophys about feasible solutions to the problem-if any) If you accept the idea that in many places society is mainly feral(and has been for milenia is my opinion) and certainly for the great mass of humanity as the situation on the planet continues to deteriorate, this is where horns like those produced by TRMusicals could were they adequately realised, have some definite virtue and use.(I'm also an advocate of the production of flutes like one I played on a street corner in Spokane in '91 making $700 in a month; made from a heavy piece of copper boiler pipe with ten tone holes and the same length and pitch as the standard Boehm flutes in C, that I paid ten dollars for in a second hand store; that like the original one-piece Japanese shakuhatchi, could easily double as a lethal weapon...though synthetic materials likely could be used to make a lighter version that was still interesting-this martial capacity tended to confuse and frighten me, at least to some degree if also in hindsight a perhaps interesting feature considering reaction to my good fortune by some of my compatriots who were street musicians lucky to earn even a tenth of what I did, at any time in their careers and convinced of the superiority of their musicianship) Perhaps the attempts to adapt more conventional musical instruments to these types of social environments have led to the tragic lives and/or early deaths of some of the musicians many admire and are influenced by the most?(Charlie Parker and Albert Ayler come to mind as well as others) I've been involved the past four years at the California HERDELJEZI Festial in Sebastapol, that is held annually to try to help Kosovoan Rromani; victims of prejudice, genocide and ethnic cleansing before, during and after the war there. Where remarkable Bulgarian Rromani-Turkish alto saxophonist Yuri Yunakov who records has performed the past two years and given workshops, who is a so-called 'Gypsy.'(aka Rromani-an ethnicity I discovered is also my own only nine years ago reading Franz Liszt's THE GIPSIES IN MUSIC; thanks to a conversation I recorded in '73 with my mother where she discusses her 'Bohemian' ancestry) This is Europe's largest most oppressed minority, whose average male life span is only forty years.(at least half the Rromani existed under chattel slavery in Europe from 1300 until emancipation in 1864, and by some estimates as many as an eigth to half of the six million Jews killed by the Nazis were actually Rromani...known for often impersonating Jewish people) I can't help but think that were a sturdy reliable playable version of TRMusicals simple design that was affordable made available, that these would be used extensively. Because they would be far less costly than a conventional saxophone, feasibley easier to maintain, etc. I also have to say that I take exception to accusations this horn is a 'piece of crap' or 'curry canister.' There is nothing even remotely fecal about it; and it is porous and complicated enough that at least some modest sort of ingenuity would be needed to adapt it successfully for holding spices. And even for someone perhaps more clever than I am, to use these as any sort of compost surely seems cost prohibitive, as is done in Asia even with human waste, and of the animal sort almost univerally except in the large commercial feed lots or dairys in this country or similarly where it is considered a toxic by-product.

Reply To Post

10. by gemster
              (51 posts)

18 years ago

T-Bone... to be honest with you here, the main problem i had with your previous (and this) post is the term "curry canisters" as to me this sounds racist. You may not mean it in a racist way but it could be seen as such, so please dont use the term again. Martinsaxman2... just out of interest what is a trolling hack? I hope that i have been as mature and sensible as my puny sixteen years allow.

Reply To Post

11. by trmusicals
              (4 posts)

18 years ago

i admit that these are not according to the international buyers standards, we are producing these saxophone and selling the same one's from last 15 years in India, so these must not be CRAPS or wall hangings, as you people said. the key system is different and this what the musicians here are playing, now the trend has started the players are using the foreign made saxophones and I aslo feels that we have to go according to the international standards, i don't know what thing pinch you people to call them CRAP, not even you have bought from us, and i am not sure whether you have people played an india made saxophone. i really aprreciate TBone like persons, who came in front and making the people feel that this is a discussion forum where you have to debate and not to attack a man personally. if the same saxophone i will sell for 350+ dollars, then this would not be a crap. the reason i had made a post here to get response from you guys, what changes i have to make to get more popular among you professional players. i am still happy that you have made replies and would like to see more response from you guys....

Reply To Post

12. by bobstad6
              (38 posts)

18 years ago

I hope Mr. Kumar appreciates my criticisms are sometimes ignoring the low price his instruments are selling for, and only registering my own frustrations. I guess he can see I think his efforts are worthy and appreciated. That the situation is difficult I don't doubt, and especially where music is all the leverage a person may have socially.

Reply To Post

13. by bobstad6
              (38 posts)

18 years ago

I have to say here that like writer Doris Lessing I claim no great knowledge, intelligence or authority, but write to see what I think. I was just thinking about two different musicians playing vertically held two-stringed Asian style violins who I got to hear in Berkeley in the '90s. One was an older man who had a variety of cassette recordings he was selling and who seemed to play in a traditional style and was Asian. The other was a young and very physical man, dressed in severe black punk style clothing and whose playing was intense and direct and who made me think of Jimi Hendrix. Both communicated effectively and with skill and were memorable. Their instruments were more simple than the typically horizontally held usually four-stringed violins that are almost universal in the West. Perhaps this is a good simile' for understanding better the saxophones TRMusicals is selling?(and I have to apologise in a previous post in this discussion for labeling anyone as 'feral' in the world, not because people may exist without order or reason and far below their potential, but because I don't mean to imply that any society simpley because its the dominant one is less contributing to this feral aspect) I think the adaptation by a a very ancient culture of an advancement made by a more contemporary society is a good endorsement, but this does not mean that adaptation is required to not evolve to suit its new environs, nor that the society and culture of origin can not learn from the adaptation as it evolves. I think perhaps it is difficult for some to imagine the music and culture TRMusicals saxophones are most often used for, and that they should not be judged for their adaptability to music suited best to the more conventional design of sax. Perhaps those involved with producing TRMusicals saxophones are interested also in giving exposure to the music they most associate with the instruments they sell?(and which there might be reason to believe is prefered to the music associated with the traditional design instruments)

Reply To Post

14. by bobstad6
              (38 posts)

18 years ago

I just reread the whole discussion here, and feel like I wish I could remove much of what I've written as being very superfluous to the thread.(one website I've seen this is possible) I also noticed an error of mine in describing TRMusicals saxophone. The left hand palm keys are for D and Eb, not Eb and E.(the right hand side keys are as normal, for Bb, C and E) One wonders though, if refering to Western pitch values is especailly relevant to these horns. I have very scanty knowledge of Indian music, so am now backing off on some of my previously expressed thoughts and am trying to more reasonabley imagine the differences these instruments represent from the traditional design. I know in some of our email exchanges over the past year Davinder has seemed to bridle at some of my criticisms, and probabley justly so. I hope he can remain open-minded and realise the great differences between our two cultures and societies and that I may not be always as adept as could be desired in bridging my knowledge between the two. I wish a neck-strap had been included with the horn and which has an attachment for one, which seem impossible to find for sopranos.(or the similar looking 'baby saxophone' TRMusicals sells) I think the problems I'm having 'squacking' may not be from leaks, but since I'm not supporting the horn adequately-the first time I've ever attempted playing a curved saxophone this size.(even a friend with a very expensive Yangasawa curved soprano complains about having to adapt straps for his instrument and who has a day job working in a large music store that has plenty of accesorys for saxophones) It would be nice to hear recordings of people in India playing these horns, but perhaps this is not as relevant a way of musical expression there as I'm used to here?(I wouldn't mind ditching a lot of machinery in favor of more immeadiate exposure to the creative sources, I'm sure)

Reply To Post

15. by jamterry
              (573 posts)

18 years ago

What is a trolling hack and what's wrong with California? I don't call people names here, and I ask you not to call me any names except for terry or jamterry. I have been playing professionally for much longer than thirty years. Why do you people have to say garbage and junk? You don't talk like musicians, probably because you went through a school music program. Get a job a music store or teach saxophone. I have to play my horns and I don't come on here mentioning the model and year. When I started playing they were no Hondas let alone Yamahas here. Gemster has every right to post here. She deserves to be respected!!!!! Technicians and teachers flunked out of playing. Mr. Kumar I'm sorry that you had to be subjected to this ignorance :) Terry

16. by Tbone
              (120 posts)

18 years ago

I used the term Garbage because IMPO the ones that I encountered were just that. Do you wish to censor only the opinions that YOU disagree with? I have to deal with good instruments and bad instruments on a daily basis. Just how many instruments do you work on in a year? If you put perfume on a pig, it's still a pig! Mr. Kumar, here's some constructive criticism. IMHO 1. Find a better pad supplier 2. Clean up the sloppiness in the action 3. Pay more attention to details 4. Stop trying to make a cheap horn and strive to make a good horn. If it's a better horn you can charge accordingly but a cheap horn is just that, a Cheap Horn! Terry, this is my opinion to which I am entitled to. Just as you are to yours. But, If my opinion offends you, that's your problem to deal with. Not mine.

Reply To Post

17. by saxismyaxe
              (575 posts)

18 years ago

Terry, I vowed to myself to let sleeping dogs lie with this mess of a thread, however I have to make the following observations: You say you don't call people names or make personal attacks as a matter of course, yet everyone of your posts in this thread have been nothing but exactly that. You have yet to keep on topic by discussing the horn itself. You suggest that everyone else should stop posting their opinions in this thread, might I suggest that you follow your own advice? Just for the record, I have been a live performance artist and studio musician my whole musical career, and rather than being a want -to- be, legit academician as you so condescendingly put it, I am in fact a working Jazz and Blues musician. I have a lovely suggestion, why don't you and I BOTH agree to just shut up about this and move on. I'm game if you are.

Reply To Post

18. by martysax
              (148 posts)

18 years ago

Wow, a baby Sax! Is there a sound clip available? (can I get a "naked lady" engraved on the bell for $5 more?) All you cry babies should order some Lamb Vindaloo, extra hot!

Reply To Post

19. by bobstad6
              (38 posts)

18 years ago

okay, I'll bite. What is 'Lamb Vindaloo'?(some type of Italian saki?) Maybe we'd all be better off playing penny whistles is one thought.(?) I used to have a cassette tape that has long since traveled, of the Ellington band with one of the sax players soloing an improvisation on one that always cheered me up to listen to. I have some disability problems though ambulatory, and have vowed to use my computer keyboard only while standing, for awhile...to spare us all my incredible verbosity. I welcome Mr. Kumar to do whatever he likes with his instruments, but will miss the offering of those he sells at such a seeming low price if he abandons their manufacture.(and I realy wonder where his horns would be most missed, and what the music sounds like?) I've had many a fine Indian made reed flute, that I began to play when I was homeless and too poor to afford anything else, which have the same fingering as a penny whistle and are similar...living out of a backpack and a sleeping bag during the years('77-'83) I tried to support myself as an agricultural worker after pursing my musical ends academically to their ignominious finale'.(the instrument one of Mozart's most well known compositions is named for, 'Dance of the Reed Flutes') I can still find these for a dollar, but the supply is on the wane and not as varied or as good a quality-my favorite store in Berkeley that is exclusivley Indian no longer carries them at all, which had the larger ones in E and F that are very desireable I gladly paid eight dollars for, though also if lucky available at times for three elsewhere.(my friend drummer Jim Doney['Stone Doone Jimmy'] got me interested in these, who had an arrangement with Shiiga's One World Shop in Seattle where he was allowed to go through an incoming shipment of a thousand or so, and pick out ones he liked...which always seemed to be in the key of B and which I still have a nice example of, who I knew in the '70s) I can overhaul the engine of my car myself and have done this while a 'vehicular resident' a few times, but still would be challenged to whittle myself a flute with an accurate scale that plays like a whistle...I can manage the type blown over liike a bottle top however...if anyone is concerned about the guidance of children interested in music and the 'quality' of their instruments I think ideas such as these are worth consideration.(and thanks for all the fine opinions here, fellow wind players...I'll share my favorite quip to goad guitarists with, about the sax..."Its something you put in your mouth!' and used for a long time not thinking of Jimi Hendrix playing with his teeth, which may be why this remark always seems effective?) Still standing!(I also recall meeting an Indian musician at that store in Berkeley who was a talented professional, and showing him one of my reed flutes I'd wound string around the bottom of as this is where they typically begin to split after awhile...he'd been very charmed as this was exactly as he'd learned to do in his youth, which I'd learned as a boy to keep rope from fraying at the end...I wonder if in large expatriot Indian communities they allow cows to wander freely, or maybe imagine the days of liberation of the beasts in lands like here they've adopted as their own...probabley not much sleep is lost over these sorts of fantasys, but who knows?)

Reply To Post

20. by kneejerk52
              (397 posts)

18 years ago

anyone who can stand to read all the crap your writing needs to find a job. take a brake already

Reply To Post

21. by Stiles B
              (101 posts)

18 years ago

It took me so long to read all of Bob's posts I had to log back in to the site. And the Lamb Vindaloo was delicious!!

Reply To Post

22. by Tbone
              (120 posts)

18 years ago

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with bull$h1+! ;-) Come on bob, don't bogart, pass some our way!

Reply To Post

23. by KingNecron
              (76 posts)

18 years ago

Bob has some pretty entertaining posts, but I think T-Bone might have a point--at some point one has to wonder how relevant hitchhiking with hippies in the backwoods of the Pacific Northwest is to the topic of "experimental" saxophones from India. Remember your audience and the topic.

Reply To Post AIM

24. by martysax
              (148 posts)

18 years ago

I'm amazed that he doesn't know about Lamb Vindaloo! Have some with some Lamb Biryani and Keema Nan. Nothing better for when you've got munchies! I'm sure that the Baby Sax is fun to play with when you're high too. Is there a water-proof model?

Reply To Post

25. by blackfrancis
              (396 posts)

18 years ago

This thread belongs in "Noveltyquest.com". Give me something I can really play.

Reply To Post

26. by Tbone
              (120 posts)

18 years ago

clap, clap, clap, clap, etc. Well said Francis!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply To Post

27. by bobstad6
              (38 posts)

18 years ago

just payback for dissing poor Mr. Kumar so heavily, for his $34 saxophones.(my, how easy it is to click on 'post' when I could've edited myself more thoroughly to better make my points...my life as a mostly frustrated musician is showing through)...anyone here who has become a fan though, should really check out my thread 'Somnambulance' at the 'off-topic' forum at wwwDOTfordfestivaDOTcom.(about a windshield sticker printed in reverse image on my car) Anyway, thanks for perservering through all of this.(and I still think the "baby saxophone" is an entirely different product than some off-brand reject or similar disaster, and as such worthy of at least some reasonable sympathy and thoughtful consideration) Too bad Mr. Kumar isn't more able to promote his instrument himself, than the botched attempt I've made.

Reply To Post

28. by bobstad6
              (38 posts)

18 years ago

(I have to apologise for getting so far off-subject with my posts in this thread as my mind is organised peculiarly and had I slept on most of them I'm sure I'd of been editing myself more thoughtfully, etc.) Looking at your criticisms I'm still wondering if I agree? I know the argument about a 'cheap' horn often hardly being inexpensive, but perhaps in the culture this instrument is most directed towards keeping the price this low is very important. And I also wonder if the music it is typically used for is such that what may seem deficiencies are really that? I'm someone initially attracted to music enough to make it my life, by groups like some of the old Northwest r+b bands that popularised 'Louie Louie' and later groups like TOWER OF POWER, and that got me into Charlie Parker when I was seventeen and just out of high school. I'm also a political 'radical' for lack of a better comprehensive single word term off the top of my head, and musically I feel like I fell off the edge of the world in the late '60s, since my natural progression artistically was not nor is now widely encouraged or available. I've hardly even listened to Ornette Coleman, and realise there are a whole lot of musicians I've never even heard of who are most in the directions I've been heading.(both economics and disability have had their negative influences on my life, and not to mention the general conservatism of the culture and society and that I consider very reactionary and abusive and not just to me but to every person on the planet and life as we know it, etc.) I've really liked nice well made saxophones and have owned 17 of them, including a couple of Mark VIs, a Super 20, a Buffet, several Bueschers, a couple of Yamahas, etc. What is challenging me is whether or not I should accept Mr. Kumar(who I've spoken with over the phone, though not particularly intelligabley) as believeing his own statements or not, and admitt I'm more in favor of his being honest and reputable, so am trying to judge him in that context.(and I'm unsure as to whether he is the manufacturer or a retailer only, since the packing material the horn I have came in was from Bombay and seemed to have little connection to his company TRMusicals) Perhaps the sole difficulty is in manufacturing their product at the prices they are selling them for? Again, I think it is important to try to imagine the music these instruments are most intended for. The term 'folk' here often seems applied as if an epithet, and in my own experiences I'm begining to wonder what if any value any music has not of that genre', which I realise is a pretty radical stance compared to most of the correspondents here. But, based upon my experiences trying to work in behalf of Kosovoan Rromani who are being horrifically abused by ethnic cleansing, and the intense musical involvements this has led me to.(and reflections over my adult lifetime about the values and motivations of many other types of music...I could never handle the '30s, '40s and '50s show tune side of popular music, which I felt were very saccarine melodies and exploitively used, and have been running away from that direction for a long time) Looking at the example I have, some of the sloppiness seems so bad it would've had to've been contrived; and knowing my own ignorance is considerable I wonder if I'm seeing the thing accurately?(the right hand action specifically for the first and second fingers, F and F#) Anyway, I'm willing to rest on this for awhile, but still am undecided as to what the situation there in India is like and why.(I've felt curiously drawn to saxophonist Albert Ayler's music, who I think was trying to simplify everything and make it more folk oriented?)

Reply To Post

29. by Tbone
              (120 posts)

18 years ago

There he goes again, Bogarting the party favours! Come on Bob, just toke and pass it on! ;-)

Reply To Post

30. by martysax
              (148 posts)

18 years ago

What was the toughest word spoken in the 60's and 70's? (hint: it's a 4 letter word)

Reply To Post

31. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

18 years ago

You guys are getting way too excited about this topic! First of all, the guy IS selling saxophones, not cell phones, shoes, or video game systems. Therefore I welcome him as a member. Sure, these are not professional model saxophones. He didn't advertise them as professional model horns. I see no deception is his advertising. In fact....I'll buy one! For no more than they cost, why not! If nothing else, I'll have fun annoying my cat with it! Like I said, I can hang it on the wall above my piano or something. Hell, if I like it, I might buy a couple more for my nephews! They can use them to annoy their parents! Seriously, I want one of these! I will let you all know what I think! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

32. by bobstad6
              (38 posts)

18 years ago

Hey, how did my private message to T-Bone get included in the thread here? Quote- Looking at your criticisms I'm still wondering if I agree? I know the argument about a 'cheap' horn often hardly being inexpensive, but perhaps in the culture this instrument is most directed towards keeping the price this low is very important. And I also wonder if the music it is typically used for is such that what may seem deficiencies are really that? unquote- Etcetera... Maybe I spaced out and actually did this post myself, but I wasn't trying to. If such priveledges do exist it would be nice to go back and edit myself, though I'm not sure if I'd be that motivated. I was surprised looking at "saxismyaxe" 's website that there is a saxophone made named after super smaltz musician Paul Mauriat. I don't feel so stupid now. They should have a "Tiny Tim" signature model, or perhaps "Alice Cooper"?

Reply To Post

33. by bobstad6
              (38 posts)

18 years ago

Toughest word in the '60s. "Pooh."

Reply To Post

34. by saxismyaxe
              (575 posts)

18 years ago

Bob, you took "the brown acid", didn't you?

Reply To Post

35. by Tbone
              (120 posts)

18 years ago

Nah saxismyaxe, he was a test pilot for the Orange Sunshine Acid Company! ;-)

Reply To Post

36. by martinsaxman2
              (13 posts)

18 years ago

Yeah, and the pink, and the blue, and the purple, and.................

Reply To Post

37. by Tbone
              (120 posts)

18 years ago

Help me Mr. Wizzard! Dwizzle, dwazzle, dwahzle, dwome, time for dis one to go home! LOL

Reply To Post

38. by martysax
              (148 posts)

18 years ago

And Toto too!

Reply To Post

39. by Stiles B
              (101 posts)

18 years ago

Now THIS is funny! (And now the ball is lobbed gently back to Bob)

Reply To Post

2. by trmusicals
            (4 posts)

18 years ago

hi all posting after a long time i have started a new blog saxophonez.blogspot.com , you people are welcome to visit this blog, your comments will be really appreciated.

Reply To Post

1. by Tbone
              (120 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you----------------------No.

Reply To Post

1. by gemster
                (51 posts)

18 years ago

was there really any need for that?

Reply To Post

1. by Tbone
                  (120 posts)

18 years ago

It is simply an acknowledgment and a reply. Nothing more so please don't try reading more into it.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
                  (573 posts)

18 years ago

It was unnecessary to reply in that manner. Take this from a trolling hack :)

3. by Tbone
                  (120 posts)

18 years ago

Speaking of unnecessary, what's up with the "trolling hack crack at the end of your post"? I did not start that nor did I condone this or any other personal attack. If you have a problem with someone calling you that then direct your comments at them and not me.

Reply To Post

4. by martinsaxman2
                  (13 posts)

18 years ago

I'm the one who posted the "trolling hack" observation, and I stand by what I said. I see you and the kiddie are tag teaming again too. Get a life.

Reply To Post

5. by gemster
                  (51 posts)

18 years ago

no YOU get a life (may as well live up to the 'child' reputation I just can't seem to lose) what is a trolling hack?

Reply To Post

6. by martinsaxman2
                  (13 posts)

18 years ago

Oh yeah, well I'm rubber-you're glue.................:D You know, if you two spent as much time practicing as you do tag team trolling on this forum you might actually be able to play the sax.

Reply To Post

7. by jamterry
                  (573 posts)

18 years ago

We practice hard, play hard, don't use racial epithets, and DO NOT make fun of anyone else's playing. The is the Fecking Bottom Line.

8. by martinsaxman2
                  (13 posts)

18 years ago

Terry, Your reading comprehension is apparently as "fecked" up as your logic. Nowhere will you find me using any racial epithet. Not that it's any of your business, but I'm African American myself. You are a flat out trouble maker, plain and simple, and that is the bottom "fecking" line.

Reply To Post

9. by aussiesax
                  (8 posts)

18 years ago

Being new to saxquest, I've been mightily entertained by some of the longer threads, this one included. i've also gleaned lots of great, sometimes conflicting, information. With great hopes of either entertainment or information I've asked for some help with sound............ see Gutsy sound wanted......... and have nothing!!!! All this energy going into what is, let's be frank, a bit of a slanging match, could be redirected just a tiny bit. Or is there a language issue with 'gutsy'? Australians understand this one instinctively - no guts no glory etc.... I guess what I'm after is a fat sound. Just thought I'd change the thread direction a tad (bit, small portion). Thanks in advance!!

Reply To Post

10. by chiamac
                  (586 posts)

18 years ago

Just a few comments here as I sneak between my online forums and work... well not really sneak, as it implies someone is looking over my shoulder, more like "escape" and/or when I'm not talking to someone. Either way, a few comments on this thread. We have people here who have WAY too much time on their hands, and should consider book writing careers instead of whatever they are doing now. This is an online forum, which is like a newspaper, which means I don't want to spend 5 min reading though a post. also like any other forum I've been a part of, some people don't like new members, and some people don't like new members saying what a great product they came up with. Said people also get tired of seeing stories about products new members are touting and thus get defensive when such a person comes on the forum. That, but not to mention the internet is a big mask to high behind and "we" can get away with saying things we can't in person. Unless you are me, and say those things in person, then get slapped... but that's another story. Also the internet is a great way to show off and NOT be humble. Word of the day people, humble. Finally, some people in this thread need to take things less personally and find ways to say things that don't make themselves come off as an ass, and don't offend the other members of this forum. I'm not going to point fingers since most of us (me too) have said things like this in the past. New members should also take note and not come in here calling their product the next best thing, since most of us would have already heard those arguments and long since grown tired of them. In closing, this is a great board, we (for the most part) are pretty nice to each other and get along pretty well. I've been a part of many other forums were everyone is an ass and mean to everyone else. This is not one of those places! and also, to those who posted a lot on this thread. This is a sax forum, and I'm sure everyone’s time would be better spend playing a sax/horn/card games than bickering on here. thank you!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

11. by bobstad6
                  (38 posts)

18 years ago

Okay I'll bite.(another popular four letter word from the '60s and '70s) 'Crum.' My usage of LSD is perhaps a longer story. I've tried to go into that but have always ended up with too lengthy a potential post for the apparent tastes of this forum.(and still nowhere near an edifying closure except perhaps in my own mind's eye?) So I will only mention my pharmacist father when he'd owned his self named JASTAD DRUGS in Kalama, WA during the early '50s sometime later mentioned having legal SANDOZ LSD on the shelf there. According to legend there'd also been there a one-legged barber named 'Boots' who was the first person to cut my hair.(my father played alto saxophone in high school at Weatherwax High School in Aberdeen, WA prior to the second world war and mentioned performing 'Harlem Nocturne' whose band director Hugo Helmervick went on to become director of public music education for the city of Minneapolis and then for the city of New York whose textbook on high school band instruction I once saw in a thrift store in Santa Barbara in the early '80s) In Eugene, OR I began my own musical instruction less a few elementary school folk dance experiences with the same gold-plated pre-Super 20 H. N. White King alto my father told me he'd bought from an alcoholic musician in Aberdeen when that town was a major seaport on the west coast second only to Frisco prior to WW II.(my father had gotten the drug store in Kalama after the previous owner and a local M. D. were busted for selling morphine to prostitutes from Portland who rode the bus north to score) This morning I awoke to a dream of driving with a friend from the late '70s in a truck over a bridge where I'd had to put my elbow on his shoulder to avoid leaning into him from the corner the road took just before the river which he'd given me notice was a little too familiar. My reply was if he'd wanted more aloof treatment he shouldn't of shaved his moustache' off.(we must've been in England or Sweden since though he was in the habit of driving I'd been on the left) As we crossed over the bridge Theo mentioned notice of how the power lines over head fanned out in all directions from where they'd been gathered crossing over with the bridge and which in my mind's eye explained how the device at the other end of the vibrant strings of a muscial instrument got the name 'nut.'(the dream previous to this point had a segment where several posturers were discouraged from bringing their mandolins to an establishment featuring drinking and professional musicianship at night) Curiously at around the time I got out of high school my father had confided he'd smoked marijuana in the navy during the second world war. I also remember not long after I'd gotten my first two jazz recordings, the albums SPEAK NO EVIL by Wayne Shorter and the Verve GENIUS OF CHARLIE PARKER volume 3 NOWS THE TIME the summer after high school graduation, a friend had picked up a merchant marine with seabag at the Everett water front(about 30 miles north of Seattle) who ended up staying in the basement of my family's home where I also had my bedroom for a few days. He was remarkable, a forty year old man who was interesting and intelligent, for being able to sing along perfectly note for note with all of Bird's solos.(which still amazes me to think about) He also mentioned being the son of the dean of the school of pharmacology at Columbia University and that he took whatever sorts of drugs he could get his hands on.(a few weeks ago I did a web search and found how I could email the current dean in that position at Columbia asking if he might be able to give me information leading to my contacting either that former dean or his son, but I've yet to get any response)

Reply To Post

12. by bobstad6
                  (38 posts)

18 years ago

As far as my own alto playing goes, I have the past couple of years noticed my tone is similar to the voices of two musically oriented women friends I've admired greatly. One who I met at KAOS-FM when we both were programmers there in the mid '70s who I've kept in touch with and the other a street person here in near by Arcata who is a flautist and reminds me of the daughter of one of my father's fraternity brothers also a pharmacist my Dad worked for after selling his own store in Eugene.(the daughter was a red head and the most beautiful woman in the high school a couple years older than me who delivered prescriptions every evening after her father's store closed which I swept out then and got to ride with his daughter who always shared her Taryton cigarettes as we drove while I watched her dress hike up to her crotch from manipulating the clutch and brake pedals and who unlike every other girl in my high school instead of a hideous white nylon girdle wore only a garter belt with her stockings)

Reply To Post

13. by bobstad6
                  (38 posts)

18 years ago

Well, almost to her crotch. We always used to park in the back of the large G. A. R. cemetary out in the country along the Snohomish River for final cigarettes before she took me home and though I forget our conversations we always enjoyed talking there with each other.(and I surveying her thighs above her stockings at my ease) Without some comic aspect I think human sexuality would be without remorse and hideous to contemplate even and she was certainly a young master of this concept.(always a happy and enteraining companion)

Reply To Post

14. by Stiles B
                  (101 posts)

18 years ago

I have way too much time on my hands, work 50 hrs a week and still have no idea what you are saying.

Reply To Post

15. by syrasax
                  (75 posts)

18 years ago

I think if we try and combine this with a discussion about Jazz Band Seating and Kenny G we'd have a Guiness Record for thread length. :)

Reply To Post

16. by martysax
                  (148 posts)

18 years ago

Bob should write: "Fear and Loathing on Saxquest!"

Reply To Post

17. by Seano
                  (132 posts)

18 years ago

LMAO This has to be the most entertaining thread I've seen on here. Some of you guys are a bit too sensitive in my opinion. Chill. Sean

Reply To Post

18. by martinsaxman2
                  (13 posts)

18 years ago

Well that seals it......it isn't acid, it's bug poison straight out of NAKED LUNCH! Can someone please pass the Mugwamp?

Reply To Post

19. by Stiles B
                  (101 posts)

18 years ago

Funny................and literate. And who you callin' sensitive, Seano? Big doo doo head. Nyah. (ducks)

Reply To Post

2. by bobstad6
                (38 posts)

9 years ago

I remember going through this same discussioin in the saxquest.com forums when introducing Davinder Kumar there and his saxophones say about ten years ago...from here the spring of 2015; and feel frightened by the wholesale lack of any sort of third world imagination people trying to bash Kumar and these saxophones, seem to have?

The horn I purchased cost in my hands in Arcata, CA  $110, which at the factory in New Dehli were about $32-$36 depending upon the finish options.  As for "slave labor" that's about as facetious considering India exisists as nearly a billion of the world's poorest people thanks to the British domination of that subcontinent over two hundred years.

These instruments combine a far simplified design, or at least did ten years ago; which with the puffy pads, lack of a low Bb and a strong positive G#/Ab seemed likeliy to gve a person without the access or even means of visiting a highly trained technician, something they could play upon for a long time untiil eventually perhaps wearing the thing out.

I'd enjoyed mine about a year, then in an impromptu situation gave that away to a two week's old son, a grandson of one of my sisters' say during 2005 probably I've never seen or heard from since both of whose parents also play the saxophone, I'm not currently in touch with.

The horn required a definite commitment to produce a viable sound; though when played with energy would respond very well, getting me one compliment that the hearer was reminded of a tenor saxophone, though in fact what was marketed as a "baby saxophone" that was a curved soprano.

Interestingly, for the $110 price, this horn included a fine hard rubber mouthpiece worth all by itself the whole $110.

So, if someone expects for those prices anything like something India has been able to crank out to compete with Chinese or other far eastern products; I think that's really stupid, and the sort of mentality responsible for so-called slave labor.  Just look at the labels of the clothing you may be wearing, to see if that's also been through the hands of people earning a tiny fraction of what many here in the United States may think worthy of income for a high school student at best.

These horns definitely can be played, and I think a worthy study could be a history of their use in their native land.  There, the saxophone is a popular instrument and certainly many instruments favored by master musicinas are of the finest European or Asian design and manufacture, though also obviously costing many, many times more than what Davinder Kumar markets and sells.

I think his instruments could've been a great hit say in the tumultuos times of the 1960s, when lots of people in this country had hit the streets and then only the simple traverse Boehm system student flutes were anywhere nearly affordable with people on the street.  Look at how Charles Lloyd's flute work inspired many of those folks, who'd come to hear him play that instrument while not at all interested in the great saxophonist of "Forest Flower" fame, too.

Again, how can people be so lacking in imagination; as to try to compare something which has so little in common other than basic shape and sound with standard saxophones as those are mostly known around the world?

Instead, try to imagine something a person otherwise given to simple flutes without mechanisms and such; having a chance at a single reed, conical bore horn instead.  Not someone who from knee pants if those were still popular, through sometimes professional careers, will likely never know what a ilfe sans shoes for instance might've been like.  As many people in the world commonly experience, and as the human body's design evolved to be.

The totality of comments here, seem in fact out of only society and culture adapted to seating in chairs for instance; while in India where these instruments get produced, people generally still sit on their heels which is the most natural seating position for a human being and most healtiest; yet in western culture and civilisation generally the province of yoga students and more or less considered erotic in potential.

I hope I've been making some lucid points; and have to say people here mostly seem to consider the side their bread is buttered on.  Yippie Youth International Party ole'

Reply To Post

1. by bobstad6
                  (38 posts)

9 years ago

Damn, this is the same stupid thread as before...oh well.  I ended up here, trying to see about contacting Davinder Kumar again; in search of another or more of his instruments perhaps?

Wonder if the design has stayed the same, for one thing.  What a bunch of wretched writing I've managed to do here, no?

Well, if not cheap; talk's certainly one of my more prolific interests.  I'd simply looked at the top of the thread and imagined this as a different one involving Davinder; though scanning down by the bottom and my post today, I can see I'm well represented.

For the record, I now also play a gold plated 1930 Buescher TrueTone, recently given a better than new restoration by Seattle's great Carlo Cennamo...namo the killer wail...with black kangaroo pads, for instance. 

A horn costing me $400 during 1997 from an ad in the Berkeley, CA  "Flea Market Want Ads" newspaper; with now $1350 into the restoration, and multiple commuter bus journeys with my forty plus year old ten-speed to Carlo's interesting home/shop near the International District yet high up atop that near 21st & Yesler.

So, some clod here is going to try to tell me for my $110 I could've gotten almost four old Bueschers in reasonably playable condition?  Which lasted several years until that horn had to be retired in favor of an used Yamaha YAS-23 now also in need of an overhaul.

I got to toot the YAS-23 January 19th, 2009 in the minute solo fundraiser I paid $35 to do for the next month's Seattle Improvised Music Festival; and got myself a fine round of applause from some of Seattle's most eclectic musicians, their friends and family and others more than half filling that fine hall-after partcipation in Greg Campbell's music improvisation workshop noon on the same Saturday the summer before as Christian Asplund's Viola solo album relsease party and performance; both at the Seattle musician's cooperative venue Gallery 1412 gallery1412.com

That $35 did dent my life's earnings of $714 as a musician; fourteen dollars on a street corner opposite the Santa Fe, NM  city plaza the summer of 1978 with a street person thankfully clapping the time as I played a blues in C on a flute given to me left in that musician's car by another hitch hiker, when I'd needed money to rescue my '62 Ford Fairlane station wagon from a non Mormon shop in Monticello, UT  the state patrol had my rig hauled to.  The other $700 earned during the holiday seaon on the street in Spokane late the fall of 1991; playing an unique copper boiler pipe flute with ten tone holes the same key of C and pitch as standard Boehm system flutes, though also a nice heavy potentially lethal weapon I got for ten dollars at Cy's Second Hand earlier that fall who'd knocked off $2.50 without my asking saying I'd been the only person they'd heard able to get a sound out of the thing.

That disappeared between Xmas & New Year's eve as I'd been contemplating the paucity of my otherwise all pagan oriented seasonal repertorie; from a squat in an alley where I'd been camping near an older woman's back yard who'd more or less let me use that overhauling all by myself the motor on my 1966 Type III Volkswagen station wagon aka "Hitler's Revenge" amongst mechanics I'd learnt why the hard way, desinged for the American market.

Later in conversation with a late now friend Bert Wilson often called "world famous underground jazz legend" in local promotions where he'd lived from 1979 onward in the hardly a jazz capital of Olympia, WA  the state capital...trying to differentiate Bert from other local offerings there; he'd commented about etchings on the flute I'd briefly had.

This had below an elegant simple aluminum embouchure plate "Fantasy Flute" done with one of those tool marking devices which on say a Crescent wrench usually begin with "stolen from...."  which on the back side continued "c.  1982" and "J.  DUEL"  of which Bert mentioned " 'Du El' is what Duke Ellington's friends called him."

I was practicing in all twelve keys four hours a day, with no idea whatsoever which key I was in; then playing about four hours each day on the street too.  The first day was a total fluke, chancing to have my flute along I'd then considered some hippy's mistake since the awkward enough left thumb tone hole placement had kept me from using the instrument other than for tooting at the avian population.  Though the Friday after Thanksgiving sounding like noting at all musical netted me $29 and $60 over the weekend.  By the end of ten days I sounded like the virtuoso at heart I really am.

Nice work if you can get it; otherwise or even if so, please get some humility too.  For anyone thoughtful enough, elements of Romani chattel slavery over hundreds of years in Europe ending officially with emancipation there during 1864; are still part of the music industry in this country.  Why I think at least part of the reason Frank Zappa wrote music is taken more seriously there than in the United States.  I'd imagine people in India serious too.

Reply To Post

1. by bobstad6
                    (38 posts)

9 years ago

how is it, that one comment that got divided nicely into paragraphs as written; while a subsequent comment the same day, written just the same, lacks any such division between the paragraphs?  That wholely sucks, I'm guessing since I simply failed to "preview" the most recent offering, as I had the first.  What a creepy thing, to foist upon someone.

Anyway, one error; is Gallery 1412's web address is gallery1412.org... not.com

What a stupid forum; to see one's writing thus butchered and made all but unreadable...

Reply To Post

1. by bobstad6
                      (38 posts)

9 years ago

Damn, this is the same stupid thread as before...oh well.  I ended up here, trying to see about contacting Davinder Kumar again; in search of another or more of his instruments perhaps?

Wonder if the design has stayed the same, for one thing.  What a bunch of wretched writing I've managed to do here, no?

Well, if not cheap; talk's certainly one of my more prolific interests.  I'd simply looked at the top of the thread and imagined this as a different one involving Davinder; though scanning down by the bottom and my post today, I can see I'm well represented.

For the record, I now also play a gold plated 1930 Buescher TrueTone, recently given a better than new restoration by Seattle's great Carlo Cennamo...namo the killer wail...with black kangaroo pads, for instance. 

A horn costing me $400 during 1997 from an ad in the Berkeley, CA  "Flea Market Want Ads" newspaper; with now $1350 into the restoration, and multiple commuter bus journeys with my forty plus year old ten-speed to Carlo's interesting home/shop near the International District yet high up atop that near 21st & Yesler.

So, some clod here is going to try to tell me for my $110 I could've gotten almost four old Bueschers in reasonably playable condition?  Which lasted several years until that horn had to be retired in favor of an used Yamaha YAS-23 now also in need of an overhaul.

I got to toot the YAS-23 January 19th, 2009 in the minute solo fundraiser I paid $35 to do for the next month's Seattle Improvised Music Festival; and got myself a fine round of applause from some of Seattle's most eclectic musicians, their friends and family and others more than half filling that fine hall-after partcipation in Greg Campbell's music improvisation workshop noon on the same Saturday the summer before as Christian Asplund's Viola solo album relsease party and performance; both at the Seattle musician's cooperative venue Gallery 1412 gallery1412.com

That $35 did dent my life's earnings of $714 as a musician; fourteen dollars on a street corner opposite the Santa Fe, NM  city plaza the summer of 1978 with a street person thankfully clapping the time as I played a blues in C on a flute given to me left in that musician's car by another hitch hiker, when I'd needed money to rescue my '62 Ford Fairlane station wagon from a non Mormon shop in Monticello, UT  the state patrol had my rig hauled to.  The other $700 earned during the holiday seaon on the street in Spokane late the fall of 1991; playing an unique copper boiler pipe flute with ten tone holes the same key of C and pitch as standard Boehm system flutes, though also a nice heavy potentially lethal weapon I got for ten dollars at Cy's Second Hand earlier that fall who'd knocked off $2.50 without my asking saying I'd been the only person they'd heard able to get a sound out of the thing.

That disappeared between Xmas & New Year's eve as I'd been contemplating the paucity of my otherwise all pagan oriented seasonal repertorie; from a squat in an alley where I'd been camping near an older woman's back yard who'd more or less let me use that overhauling all by myself the motor on my 1966 Type III Volkswagen station wagon aka "Hitler's Revenge" amongst mechanics I'd learnt why the hard way, desinged for the American market.

Later in conversation with a late now friend Bert Wilson often called "world famous underground jazz legend" in local promotions where he'd lived from 1979 onward in the hardly a jazz capital of Olympia, WA  the state capital...trying to differentiate Bert from other local offerings there; he'd commented about etchings on the flute I'd briefly had.

This had below an elegant simple aluminum embouchure plate "Fantasy Flute" done with one of those tool marking devices which on say a Crescent wrench usually begin with "stolen from...."  which on the back side continued "c.  1982" and "J.  DUEL"  of which Bert mentioned " 'Du El' is what Duke Ellington's friends called him."

I was practicing in all twelve keys four hours a day, with no idea whatsoever which key I was in; then playing about four hours each day on the street too.  The first day was a total fluke, chancing to have my flute along I'd then considered some hippy's mistake since the awkward enough left thumb tone hole placement had kept me from using the instrument other than for tooting at the avian population.  Though the Friday after Thanksgiving sounding like noting at all musical netted me $29 and $60 over the weekend.  By the end of ten days I sounded like the virtuoso at heart I really am.

Nice work if you can get it; otherwise or even if so, please get some humility too.  For anyone thoughtful enough, elements of Romani chattel slavery over hundreds of years in Europe ending officially with emancipation there during 1864; are still part of the music industry in this country.  Why I think at least part of the reason Frank Zappa wrote music is taken more seriously there than in the United States.  I'd imagine people in India serious too.

Reply To Post

2. by bobstad6
                      (38 posts)

9 years ago

well, perhaps the lack of division into paragraphs, appears only in the text a person sees when replying?  Sorry to've been redundant if so; though at least one version looks now like what I'd originally written.  Thanks for anyone reading me, and for giving Davinder Kumar and those hard working saxophone makers of India some worthier thought.

Take care, give a toot; though don't pollute...tastes being what they are someone's bound to dislike something about nearly anything; so also follow your heart.  Smell the flowers, the snow or the breeze, and get the damned music out of the studios for a change. 

Whatever, this sounds about like a computer text keyboard a clacking away at me now.  Some damned thrill, is about all I can say about that.

Reply To Post

3. by bobstad6
                      (38 posts)

9 years ago

Worth adding is my Buescher "TrueTone" nests well in a home made case, built for less than two dollars from a couple cedar fencing slats seconds, some glue & sheet rock screws and about a foot or so of 1" x 2" furring strip...a forest product sold for about a dollar in eight foot lenghts. 

This started as a planned flower box for the kitchen window of an Eureka, CA  apartment; when I'd sawn one cedar fencing slat into three equal lengths as closely as I could measure them, then added endpieces to both open ends. 

Though at that modest accomplishment, something prompted me to see how the alto saxophone might fit inside; which turned out as machinists call that, a "spring fit." 

Even more oddly perhaps, is the pale green canvas cover for my home made case; an army surplus duffle bag from a large Eureka second hand store which also features some military surplus items, apparently from some Scandanavian military organization-with the name "Sandstrum" and some sort of insignia like a crown still visible on that. 

Something I'd for years carried another form fit alto case inside of, which had been decorated to protect that; used for some odd home made instruments, and things like end blown reed whistles made in India. 

Until one day I'd tried that on the home made case...so incredibly well suited for each other, the metal grommets at the end of the duffel bag create a nice drawstring closure against the top of the case; where there'd already been a handle like opening, to be able to easily grasp the horn from that end-rather than from above the lid.

This fits tightly enough I'm reminded of the second of only two condoms I've ever tried on myself, both times a solo act.  From the men's room dispenser of the then bar, nearest the Concord Naval Weapons Station; with a fit so snug a person could've been planning on threading needles? 

With either the saxophone inside, or not; this makes my case into a nice hand drum.  Cost, guessing; still less than five dollars. 

Oh yeah, some short lenghts of a chunk of aluminum rod I picked up at a place near Arcata, CA  selling bulk metal stock materials, position the lid on top of the case. 

I don't consider that a work yet completed, since particularly at times I've had reasonably well in mind, some sort of  simple metal closures; which would replace the two sheet rock screws, which now hold the lid to the flower box part-that the saxophone rests inside of.

Something I guess in totto a person ought to try to patent; then build decent facsimilies to sell to other TrueTone alto players? 

This could be difficult however, since I think the cedar fencing slat industry has since, like done many decades ago with "original dimension" two by fours; downsized the overall size, of six foot cedar fencing slats.

Reply To Post

2. by bobstad6
                    (38 posts)

9 years ago

Opps, again...

Well, I was getting excited; and haven't been doing mathmatical problems much, of late.

"Sorry about that; chief." 

We get ancient television shows, and also very old movies, amidst way too many commercials; here on the town's only station, all canned computer stuff now, though until recently interesting programming meant mostly for people from India. 

KVOS12 broadcasts out of Bellingham from an island in Puget Sound aiming most of their signal towards Vancouver, B.  C.  with also lately a signal repeater in Seattle. 

Without the programming from and/or about India some of which originates in Canada; this has to be one of the world's worst television stations...though the removal of nearly all the commercials would make nice pablum for elders or anyone else reasonably bored and/or lacking, with only a rabbit ears type bugdet.

What happened with the often mostly Punjabi programming, though weekly there was one version of the news in English and frequently English subtites on much of the other programming including that channel's spiritual programing callled Gurbani, shows mornings and afternoons; was I think too little attention to English subtitles with only one movie show, that had offensive to FCC rules profanity.

The India channel got shut down shortly after that had appeared, then after a week or ten days or so started broadcasting again which lasted a couple weeks, until about the time I noticed the same movie complete with those damning subtitles appeared again. 

Then KVOS-12 reappeared with only two channels, old televsion or older movies; which previous to the India programming, had featured a third channel of all music videos, a person could learn to like despite mounds of insipid commercials. 

The programming which was India based, had only a modicum of tasteful commerical breaks; all for just a few products and/or services.  What television could be like; perhaps remniscent just a little, of when cable for a few years during the early 1970s-had been commercial free and devoted to community listener supported programming, which was great.

Reply To Post

2. by bobstad6
                  (38 posts)

9 years ago

Wow, rereading myself; I've done a large disservice to Davinder Kumar, since subsequent experiences playing my "baby saxophone" a curved soprano; revealed with correct support of my air column the instrument played very well.

This is a brief part of some of the long posts where I'd been far too critical of his instruments; thanks to as mentioned, attempting to play the one I had in an inappropriate for that's best means of tooting.

" There is a question, as to what the goals are of Mr. Kumar in producing these instruments. They seem to rise to just below the level of being interesting and playable. Without going into the issue of how these are marketed other than at TRMusicals website, it seems only myself and a few others as niave expect these horns to be played."

I'm glad I went back to read over my posts from years ago; and evidently done prior to my making the fullest use of my abilities and training, or even stretching those a little more to accomidate the instrument at hand.  Definitely those or if the same now these, are well playable; requiring merely a forceful disposition, and focused energy.

Think perhaps a wide open tip on a metal mouthpiece used with a tenor saxophone; and apply that sort of omph and the little "baby saxophone" turned out to be a real winner. 

I had gotten on such a roll writing about myself, long before getting better tuned into the instrument at hand; that once sometime later when I'd had better experiences of the little curved sopraho, my often chaotic life had led me far from continued participation in this thread and these forums.

Please take from me now, that little horn blew very well; once I'd managed to adjust myself to the simple demands of the instrument.  Sorry Davinder Kumar, for all the ill considered criticism.  At the prices the horn sold for, in this country; you'd gotten someone far less than professional, commenting upon your product.

Reply To Post

1. by bobstad6
                    (38 posts)

9 years ago

Well, going backwards through the thread; I got to my first post, a long one which somehow didn't get divided into paragraphs-probably the way I'd been writing then, after a couple decades of hand printed text on college ruled notebook paper had left my own writing nearly illegible to me. 

I've still about 30,000 pages of hand printed text; saved in several boxes I tote around, from feeling guilty tossing whatever didn't get mailed I began saving early during 1992.

That first post though, stands decently with all my impressions of the "baby saxophone" as I still remember that.  Only subsequently did my comments degrade somewhat into unfounded ultimately, criticisms.  For the money involved, these weren't bad purchases. 

For not much over $40 tops, case included, when I'd purchased; at the factory in New Dehli, give me a break...alto or curved soprano.

Those very simplified designs still intrigue me, so that I hope Davinder Kumar decides to reply to a recent email sent June 4th, 2015.

Oh, and the Buescher tenor I liked so much their 1950s student model; was a "Windsor" not a Widsor.  Take care all...

Reply To Post