Saxophone Forum

by SATBSaxRH
(11 posts)
20 years ago

BEST CLASSICAL SAX PLAYER

One of the best saxophone players I have heard is undoubtedly Ed Fraedrich. His tone is sonrous and full of depth and is certainly representative of classical playing. I do not like, however, how some people call Harvey Pittel the epitomy of classical playing. Pittel's tone is abrasive and does not control the overall sonority of his tone. Unfortunately, Ed Fraedrich does not receive as much publicity as other saxophonists do (who as a matter of fact, should not).

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxmaster12
    (2 posts)

20 years ago

Re: BEST CLASSICAL SAX PLAYER

yeah! i've heard him before play A Miscellany for Two Saxophones with Rowland Dowdy before. I think he's the best i've heard, and i've heard a lot, include rousseau, pittel, and mcallister

Reply To Post

1. by DefiniSax
      (10 posts)

20 years ago

i think i've heard of Ed Fraedrich in some manner or another, but best classical sax player, come on, marcel mule!! and you can't forget Larry Teal and Don Sinta

Reply To Post

1. by marpo13
        (1 post)

20 years ago

Im not sure about the best classical player because they all have their own unique style but as far as literature, Larry teal writes some crazy duets and Marcel Mule continues to amaze me

Reply To Post

1. by Paulo Moraes
          (1 post)

17 years ago

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

In my opinion, there is only one person that has truely completely mastered the saxophone, and it is Marcel Mule. He has got to be the best classical player.

Reply To Post

1. by bleeding gums
          (18 posts)

17 years ago

amen brother

Reply To Post

3. by kdub
        (1 post)

19 years ago

Ed Fraedrich is the best saxophone player I have ever heard. He plays with passion and his sound is very rich, full, and 'emotional' (for lack of a better adjective) . In addition to being a sax guru, he is truly a wonderful person. I was lucky enough to study with Ed from 95-99 - he offers much more than a 'sax teacher'. He will be performing with a quartet on Sat. Jan 8th @ 4pm, at the 28th International Saxophone Symposium - GMU, Center for the Arts. See you there!

Reply To Post

4. by redtrane83
        (2 posts)

19 years ago

In my opinion the best classical saxophonist ever has to be Sigurd Rascher, amazing player. Also some of his students like John Edward Kelly, basically anyone that has learned from the rascher school of saxophone playing is amazing. Jonathan Bergeron, my saxophone teacher is one of the best players I've ever heard.

Reply To Post

5. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

20 years ago

Harvey Pittel has great finger technique, but I agree, his tone is a bit overbearing. I've likened his vibrato to sounding like a car that won't start. I do listen quite a bit to his quartet and admire the ability of him and especially some of his quartet-mates like Roger Greenberg and Bari-ist(no longer with the group) Todd Oxford

Reply To Post

1. by kimosabi
          (1 post)

19 years ago

i personally really like pittel's vibrato and his sound. of course, in my 8 years of playing i was taught by 3 or 4 of his students. met him once, really nice guy, gave me and some friends just some jam time and gave us a lot of critiques on our playing, it was cool.

Reply To Post

1. by Dark Eyes
            (138 posts)

18 years ago

I personally prefer the smooth and ambiotic sound of Nicolas Prost. He is a French saxophonist who is a master at his craft. You can go to Amazon.com and listen to some of his cd Caprice. It is truly amazing. He has a very resonate tone and his vibrato is pretty nice. His technical accuracy is, in my opinion, unmatched except by maybe Hemke, Russeau, and most definitely Rascher. Prost ranks up there with those other three for my favorite classical players of all time. Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

1. by Dark Eyes
              (138 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry, I forgot a link. I wouldn't want to discourage you guys from hearing an absolutely marvelous sound, Enjoy as I have. www.amazon.com/Caprice-Nicolas-Prost/dp/B0000C69XG/sr=8-2/qid=1157576989/ref=sr_1_2/104-7371332-0197554?ie=UTF8&s=music Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

2. by caduceus02
            (6 posts)

19 years ago

GREAT discussion! I haven't seen the name Fred Hemke mentioned yet. I saw him play in concert just once in 1992 and was utterly astounded by his bold timbre, dazzling technique, consumate control and precision, and refined musicality. I was lucky enough to have a few lessons with him when I was in high school - he was a wonderful teacher as well. I have to agree with all the votes for Sinta as well - the Heifitz of the saxophone?

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Roccosm
              (113 posts)

18 years ago

Yes friend hemke is an animal for sure. He is the dean at Nothwestern and has been there for Year's... To Me the Classical Cat are another bread,,I love the Jazz great's too and play jazz Myself but when You study Classical You are studying Music at it's finest. You know In Jazz there is plenty of room for error, Meaning you can hit a "clam " and make something out of it, but playing liget is the hardest playing of all. I have plenty of arument's with friend's about this all the time. I can guess You have played classical form and know what I mean..Rocco

Reply To Post

3. by silversax440
            (29 posts)

20 years ago

Where can I go to hear Ed Fraedrich? I searched on the net and I came up with nothing? any suggestions? Thanks.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by SaxMan
              (559 posts)

20 years ago

See, we have one post here that makes any remote sense - golfer's post. All these modern sax players...there is onyl one way to put it, but they suck. They, "test the limits of the instrument" by playing notes onyl dogs can hear, passages so overly fast that you could almost hear harmonys. altissimo has its place, but nine and a half times out of 10 it is over used. Rascher is not all that he is cracked up to be, but I would say that he is second in line after mule. Mule is just absolutely virtuous, everything he plays is just absolute perfection. Too bad so few recordings of him are availiable though.

Reply To Post

1. by saxmaster12
                (2 posts)

20 years ago

As i've said before, Ed Fraedrich is not as well publicized as other saxophonists. But about Marcel Mule, he was truly a master of the saxophone, but honestly, you can't say today's sax players are not as great just because they "test the limits." That is a natural consequence of improving sax technology and contemporary music. Honestly now, but if you do want to hear Ed Fraedrich, he will be playing with the Middleburg Symphony in Virginia and will be playing Ibert's Concertino de Camera. Ed Fraedrich really needs some more publicism, he truly surpasses today's sax players who (because of publicity) are the foremost classical sax players. AKA Eugene Rousseau (although he is one of the nation's best sax instructors).

Reply To Post

1. by SATBSaxRH
                  (11 posts)

20 years ago

Well said, saxmaster12, but that was actually me that talked about the publicity with Ed Fraedrich. but oh well. anyways, about saxman's comments, marcel mule (a favorite of mine) is a great sax player but still there are players nowadays that are just as great, and your comment about Rascher, well i wouldn't consider him second to Mule, but I would say that he did help pioneer the saxophone we all know in the classical theater of saxophone.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
                  (559 posts)

20 years ago

There is nothing wrong with testing the limits of the sax - it is only wrong when you make it hideous which all of the ones I know of so far do. John harle is alright, he doesn't do none of this testing crap - he does the more mdoern german style, which is unfortuneate, but he also adds some REALLY cool stuff. Like in the glaz concerto, there is a spot where you drop down to a series of low D's - harle starts out playing the harmonic first, and slowly comes down to the base note - at a point, you hear both notes at the same time, perfectly clear. Rascher thinks too much of himself - especially his altissimo abilities. He uses the heck out of altissimo, and just wrecks some passages, especially in concertino da camera, and I totally, completely, absolutely ruins the middle of the glaz concerto with altissimo, where he wrote his own cadenza to show off his abilities. He also does that slap tongue crap where it shouldn't be, though where it does belong, it makes it sound really good. Another thing - his middle D is surprisingly sharp in some pieces I couldn't beleive it the first time I heard it. Anyways, this is kind of fun, Im going to set up a concerto analysis thread, I think in the legit sax section in a few days that we all could contribute to. (-Edited for readability by Saxquest administration on 9/4/2004 12:47:15 PM)

Reply To Post

3. by SATBSaxRH
                  (11 posts)

20 years ago

For the most part, yes Rascher does have a "different" style of playing. But going back to John Harle. John Harle is another player who gets too much credit than he should. I mean he played with the Academy of St Martin in the Fields Orchestra! They are an orchestra worthy of respect, not John Harle's British sax. Also, in Glazunov, there is no multiphonics, only a bit of high tones (C, G) thats it. Im not sure we're talking about the right concerto. Plus, if he did do that, that just makes him less deserving of credit. I mean in being a good player, you just don't butcher standard literature like that. Speaking of which, Branford Marsalis (called by some as a "crossover" artist) is the perpetrator of the same crime. I mean, a lot of people agree with me, when I say that he, like John Harle, has an abrasive tone (the antithesis of "classical" tone), and disrespects the literature. Especially in his rendition of Ibert, he changed the passages he couldn't do! The majority of known saxophonists need to seriously reconsider classical playing and start playing in a group in which they belong. The Jazz community

Reply To Post

4. by silversax440
                  (29 posts)

20 years ago

SATBSaxRH, Thank you...that is probably one of the best things I've ever seen on this forum.

Reply To Post AIM

5. by Bibimbop
                  (53 posts)

20 years ago

For sure. Don Sinta is one of the greatest teachers and performers the saxophone world has seen. He continuelly puts out quality students so obviously his methods work. I do subscribe to the "Voicing" method of playing, and I must say that his pedagogy has made a profound impact on saxophone playing. True, we all have our preferences on players we like and styles we prefer over others... but to say someone "sucks" that is an established performer and pedagogue is just childish. My opinion of this site... It's not the most credible place for information. But it is fun to converse with people that share a passion for the instrument.

Reply To Post

6. by semipro
                  (17 posts)

20 years ago

Hey Guys, As far as I'm concerned there isn't a bad name on the list but my favorite has to be John Sampen. I know he test the limits of the horn alot but for me there in lies the beauty of his playing. He is one of the few saxophonist that really make MUSIC out of some of the modern material,

Reply To Post

7. by SteamyHotSax
                  (4 posts)

20 years ago

I agree that Don Sinta is an incredible player, my only beef with him is his idea of reedwork, None. My teacher, a former student of Donald Sinta, told me that Sinta doesn't do any reed work whatsoever, he just buys them, plays on them for a few seconds, and then determines how good the reed really is. I believe it takes a good reed about a month to mature, but somehow Sinta is able to pull it off with the fresh-out-of-the-box ones.

Reply To Post

8. by s9ast
                  (8 posts)

19 years ago

Just came across this string while searching for Ed Fraedrich. If any of you know, is he out of Northern Virginia (Fairfax/Annandale/Alexandria) area? If yes, interested in how he would relate in style to one of his former teachers - George Etheridge.

Reply To Post

9. by TRock
                  (1 post)

19 years ago

Im not certain if Ed Fraedrich is from the NOVA area originally. I do know that he taught in the area way back when I was in HS. I have heard him play a few times and would consider him to be excellent, similar to George Etheridge. However, in my opinion Etheridge is the epitome of Classical sax. I studied with him for several years and have heard him personally play in concert. This man is truely an artist when it comes to his craft. Obviously he is not very well known outside his teaching career, but definitely a master.

Reply To Post

10. by straightj23
                  (103 posts)

17 years ago

I agree 100%. John Sampen is phenomenal. I went to a summer saxophone workshop at Bowling Green State University in Ohio and had the opportunity to take some master classes with him and hear him play. He also has an album out called "Electric Sax" where he recorded with the electronic Wind Controller. Anyone ever tried playing one of those?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

11. by Face
                  (11 posts)

19 years ago

James Houlik. Though I study with him, so I'm likely biased in that way. Plus, I'm a tenor player, so that means double there. I think that he plays very musically and that there is quite a bit of depth and warmth to his tone... Not to mention the lengths he has gone to as far as recognition of the classical tenor sax is concerned.

Reply To Post

12. by phathorn
                  (165 posts)

19 years ago

My primary instructors in school were Allen Rippe and Don Sinta. I worked in masterclasses with Joe Lulloff, Houlik, Sampen, Forger, Houlik, etc....I knew Otis Murphy and Tim McCallister from the time they had just graduated high school.(Interlochen, in case any one is interested) In short, I've heard many of the major players in the field. Don Sinta, simply put, is a master of his craft, and there aren't too many who deserve mention in the same breath. If money were no object, I would assemble the following quartet.... Sop- Allen Rippe, personal bias notwithstanding, he has the best soprano sound I have EVER heard. Alto- Sinta, nuff said. Tenor- Houlik, how big can one sound be?! Bari - Tamiur Sullivan (PRISM quartet), defies most laws of mechanics with what he does on bari Just my humble opinions....

Reply To Post

13. by Face
                  (11 posts)

19 years ago

I've had a master class with Joe Lulloff as well, I have to say that he's up there.

Reply To Post

14. by Dave36251
                  (8 posts)

19 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts on Claude Delangle? I don't know if there's anyone out there with as much control as he has. Sometimes he may lack a bit in the emotion department, but he still blows me away. Especially on sop.

Reply To Post

15. by ea1028
                  (15 posts)

19 years ago

How would you compare some of the best classical players to the top jazz saxophonists such as michael brecker in terms of technique and ability??

Reply To Post

16. by phathorn
                  (165 posts)

19 years ago

Very similar. A lot of the extended technique stuff brecker does (multiphonics, etc.) Rascher was doing in the 40s and has been extended over the years. For pieces like Bolcom's 'Lilluth' you'd BETTER have Brecker like chops.

Reply To Post

17. by Face
                  (11 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, I have a book that Rascher did on that ... fascinating stuff and working on those things really makes a difference overall.

Reply To Post

18. by GzsKerqt
                  (77 posts)

19 years ago

Where can u find songs by Ed Fraedrich? The net tells nothing. There's even a forbidden page.

Reply To Post

19. by selmer 4evr
                  (309 posts)

19 years ago

Come on guys Has anyone heard Londeix play "simple study on the boogie" this is a multiphonic piece that lats about 15 min all played without a piano . it is more than inpressive. Londeix has gone way beyond Sinta rascer and co . Please let nobody talk to me about Rousseau .

Reply To Post

20. by johnsonfromwisconsin
                  (767 posts)

19 years ago

er, what's wrong with Rousseau?

Reply To Post

21. by selmer 4evr
                  (309 posts)

19 years ago

Have you heard him play ? Good technician but hardly fills my closet with his sound . Listen to Hemke or Londeix .

Reply To Post

22. by selmer 4evr
                  (309 posts)

19 years ago

Oh I forgt to mention I attended master classes by Rousseau as well as Londeix What a Difference !!!!!!

Reply To Post

23. by phathorn
                  (165 posts)

19 years ago

This is the same londieux who didn't see the need for the altissimo register? I'll take Sinta playing Chardice @ 180bpm double tonging 16th note passages or playing "Child Stealer" from Bolcom's "Lilluth" any day. I spent several days hanging around a hotel bar with Hemke @ a NASA convention in 93 (U of Alabama- We were snowed in). I don't care at all for Hemke's sound, but helluva nice guy and tremendous knowledge of the saxophone and music in general.

Reply To Post

24. by ClassicSaxDB
                  (1 post)

19 years ago

My vote goes to Otis Murphy. If you guys have heard him live, you'll realize that his sound/technique/musicality are practically unbeatable... to this day I have not heard a saxophonist play with such perfection. I think Timothy McAllister is excellent also, as well as Jean-Yves Fourmeau.

Reply To Post

25. by jasonparvey
                  (7 posts)

19 years ago

Having known Dr.Rousseau, and being a student of his currently, he is a great person. He is one of the best teachers, players, and researchers out there. Although there is no single best saxophonist, Eugene Rousseau is definately one of the best along with others such as Hemke, Rascher, Mule, and many many more. -JP

Reply To Post AIM

26. by skriggety
                  (4 posts)

19 years ago

I would strongly agree with Otis Murphy. His incredible attention to detail, as well as impressive pedigree (Kenneth Fischer, Eugene Rousseau, Jean-Yves Formeau) make him a pretty strong candidate. His last recording, Memories of Dinant, is incredible, and he's got a new one coming out soon.

Reply To Post

27. by phathorn
                  (165 posts)

19 years ago

I like Otis...Funny that I remember when both Otis and Tim McCallister were 18 year old campers @ Interlochen. My claim to fame is helping Otis with the Altissimo register and the overtone series...maybe I should've kept practicing LOL

Reply To Post

28. by Squirrel
                  (3 posts)

18 years ago

That's great!!!!! We will always remember the ones that make it in the end!!! Kudos to you

Reply To Post

29. by newreedsyndrome
                  (343 posts)

17 years ago

I believe it is "Steady Study on the Boogie", not "Simple Study on the Boogie". I haven't heard Londeix's version, but Tim McCallister's version is really good. The hardest part about that piece is that you're supposed to circular breath the whole time!

Reply To Post

30. by Mlenox
                  (36 posts)

18 years ago

"Anyone have any thoughts on Claude Delangle?" I like Delangle a lot, and his tonal recordings keeping getting better. But I realy love his 20th Century CDs especially his solo album that opens with the Stockhausen.

Reply To Post

31. by bcwhiton
                  (3 posts)

17 years ago

Okay everyone we all have our own opinions and everyone is told something different...Some of the names on here I haven't heard of but have gone to look up and made my opinion about...putting our teachers opinions aside and who's famous aside when we come down to it the french do it best. I've heard Donald Sinta and I'm not a huge fan...yes he is a great teacher and has skills but for my taste he uses too much vibrato, like on every note, and his tone isn't alive, yes it's dark but it's too dark...for my taste anyway. Most of his students have about the same concept. Great teachers, yes and credit should be given to them, but for me personally I'm not a huge fan. As for John Harle..his tone is not abrasive it's alive, it's okay..not my favorite but certainly not bad. As for Branford Marsallis I'm not a huge fan, of his tone classically or jazz but he is a great player. Technique does not make the player...everyone can learn to have a good amount of technique. It's the feelings you as a listener get from their playing that matters, how does a certain piece of music make you feel and for that I suggest Claude Delangle...Yes you can all ignor this, but seriously if you haven't heard him check him out. He's the teacher at the Paris Conservatory and he's just amazing...if you like Sinta, or McAllister, or Harle or any classical saxophone you'll love this guy. If you know anything about music you'll love him!

Reply To Post

32. by Squirrel
                  (3 posts)

18 years ago

First and foremost, Saxman, if you don't like contempory, that's fine. But, if you are going to bash contemporary, altissimo, slap tongue, etc., I suggest you find a new hobby. Classical saxophone music in general is becoming contemporary and there is no way around that. Next off, to respond to your Rascher bashing... Rascher doesn't think anything of himself as he has passed away. Secondly, Concertino Da Camera was composed FOR HIM. The version that is in print with the 8va passages was originally written completely in altissimo. The only reason it was not published that way was because Mr. Ibert, the French Composer, went to see his Fellow Frenchman Mr. Mule and Mule suggested that he not publish Camera with all the altissimo notes. His reasoning was because it would not be accessible to most players of that era, and hence he would not sell many copies. Mr. Ibert followed Mule’s suggestion and had it published with all altissimo passages as optional 8va. Rascher fumed and he refused to premier the piece for several years thereafter. Next, check your music history… it was not until musicians began requesting that composers actually compose a cadenza that publishers published concertos with written out cadenzas. The most common practice in classical music was to perform an original cadenza composed by the artist, on the spot or beforehand. This most often occurred back in the day when classical artists could compose (improvise) cadenzas during the performance. Furthermore, John Harle’s recording of Glaz’s Concerto is not as good as you wish it would be. His “harmonic” D is a mistake, but was the “best of the bunch,” so he took it. Lastly, even if it is not a mistake, then you are contradicting yourself. You cut down a traditionally unique and proper cadenza composed by one of the fathers of classical saxophone and yet you condone a wrong note by Harle? I don’t mean to degrade, I simply wish these posts would be more open to the idea that each performing saxophonist is good in their own way. The answer to the post is two fold. First, recognize and pay homage to the “founders” of classical saxophone for being the founders, but also be open to the idea that the future holds more talented and special classical saxophonists than anyone can foresee. If you think someone is the best, good. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion. And that, is what it is about. These are everyone’s opinions, nothing more.

Reply To Post

33. by madcat11
                  (1 post)

18 years ago

Yo bro, gotta slow down. Aint nothin wrong with rascher. Less you can pump it any better than the man, keep yo' paws in yo own back yard. Ok to criticize him, not ok to go about it all snobby-like. Get down home wit that, don go round tryin a be all in-lectual and snobby-like. play from da heart man. dat's what its all about. xpression. love thy neighbor.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxJunkie
                (1 post)

19 years ago

No such thing as 'best' in art. Personally I think Arno Bornkamp and James Houlik represent the finest of the classical saxophone breed.

Reply To Post

3. by Ender
                (5 posts)

18 years ago

I recommend everyone listening to these players: Timothy McAllister, Taimur Sullivan, Laura Hunter, Brian Sacawa, Otis Murphy, Don Sinta and all the other old school guys everyone know, hmm there are some other American players that I know are there but will add later once I think of them. The French players: Vincent David (I dont know if he has recordings out or not, I've heard him live and also I've heard of his playing by reputation), Jean- Michael Goury, Richard Ducros, Claude Delangle, and Joel Versavaud. Oh and as for quartets Habanera and PRISM. Again, I have the feeling I'm leaving out some of my favorite players and other excellent saxophone quartets. These guys are the best of the best.

Reply To Post

1. by silversax440
                  (29 posts)

18 years ago

like michael hester, kenneth tse, nobuya sugawa, rousseau...

Reply To Post AIM

4. by Ender
                (5 posts)

18 years ago

I reccomend everyone listening to the following players: Timothy McAllister, Taimur Sullivan, Laura Hunter, Brian Sacawa, Otis Murphy, Donald Sinta and all the other old school players everyone knows. Hmmm there are some other Americans out there that I am not thinking of that I'll add later maybe. The French players: Vincent David (I dont know if he has recordings out. I heard him play live and also I've heard of his playing reputation), Jean-Michael Goury, Richard Ducros, Claude Delangle and Joel Versavaud. Oh and the quartets Habanera and Prism. Again, I know I missing people. All these guys are the best of the best.

Reply To Post

1. by Ender
                  (5 posts)

18 years ago

ooooops sorry guys. the computer said it didnt post the first one bc i wasnt logged in im new to this forum so im not used to the format yet but i'll tyr to delete it or if a mod would like to that'd be fine too

Reply To Post

5. by Radjammin
                (255 posts)

18 years ago

I took lessons from Dowdy and Fraedrich. I would love to know if they have a CD you could buy or some online recordings. Both are great Legit players. Ed was a little too much like every other Classical player I know to be added to my friends list. But I could say the same about most of the Musical teachers I have had. Rowland "Dusty" was a little easier to get along with but he was also younger. Beside all that I would still like to hear them. Hey they cut any recordings, soundbite or CD?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by classysax91
                  (7 posts)

18 years ago

My personal favorites (and who I try to sound like): 1. Tim McAllister, 2.Don Sinta, 3. Claude Delangle. This past summer I studied with Dr. McAlilster at Interlochen and not only is he an absolutely fantastic player, but instructor as well. He's amazing, incredible all around.

Reply To Post

6. by serieIIIsax
                (6 posts)

18 years ago

I studied with Dr. McAllister as well: privately for 2 years in high school and 1 year last year in his studio. He is an absolutely incredible musician, professor, and person. He was a role model to all of us in his studio and was incredibly special to us. He's since taken up the post at Arizona University this year and we all miss him terribly. Personally, he's one of the finest there is.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxTrane03
                  (2 posts)

17 years ago

lol... is this megan?

Reply To Post

7. by The Insomniac Saxman
                (141 posts)

18 years ago

One guy you ought to check out is Leo Potts. Now granted, I'm biased because I studied with him for four years, but is DEFINITELY one of the most MUSICAL players I've heard out there. He has recordings for both Cambria Master Recordings and Crystal Records. www.leopotts.com

Reply To Post

1. by J.Max
                  (3 posts)

17 years ago

Leo Potts is very good. He was the last American student of Marcel Mule at the Paris Conservatory. As far as the discussion regarding the "best" classical sax player goes...this is a bit of a strange argument. It wouldn't go on in the jazz world, for example. (Could you really say that Coltrane was without a doubt better than Getz?) The Rascher school players are going to all say Sigurd Rascher, John-Edward Kelly, Lawrence Gwozdz, etc. The French school players are all going to say Marcel Mule, Eugene Rousseau, Fred Hemke, Daniel Deffayet, and Claude Delangle. The American school (Teal) will likely say Donald Sinta, Tim McAllister, etc. You get the idea. Personally, I still believe that Eugene Rousseau is the best living saxophonist (but I'm biased!).

Reply To Post

1. by Mrkatt99
                    (1 post)

17 years ago

Im sorry to tell all you guys but my idea of the best classical sax pleyer Todd Oxford. Me being the Britone sax player that i am, i find my self dron to the beautful richness and finesse of his sound as deminstrated on is CD "Finesse".

Reply To Post

1. by J.Max
                      (3 posts)

17 years ago

You should really hear Claude Delangle play bari and then decide...Oxford is very good, but he is only average on alto. Delangle is great on all of the horns.

Reply To Post

2. by grasersax
                      (1 post)

17 years ago

I recently had the honor of playing for Claude Delangle and he is definitely the most humble and gracious musician, let alone saxophonist, that I have ever met. Favorite players for me would be, in order, Claude Delangle, Christian Wirth, Timothy McAllister (my former teacher), Vincent David, Don Sinta, Taimur Sullivan, and Brian Sacawa.

Reply To Post

3. by Conclave
                      (45 posts)

17 years ago

I'd have to say Claude Delangle is at the top of the heap. That guy can do just about everything. However, there are younger players in the world that will be just as good as he is once they reach is age, i.e McAllister, Vincent David, Murphy, etc.

Reply To Post

4. by GEoZim
                      (1 post)

17 years ago

Wonderful discussion! I enjoy Paul Brodie alot, very pleasing sound and technique.

Reply To Post

5. by selmer 4evr
                      (309 posts)

17 years ago

J. Max you are biased for sure !!!

Reply To Post

6. by SaxTrane03
                      (2 posts)

17 years ago

Dan, I love you.

Reply To Post

7. by anthonydeansax
                      (1 post)

17 years ago

The masters who come before us are to be respected, and their path studied so that we may further ours. But we must also be open to change, same as survival depends upon adaptation of species. As far as the best classical sax player, does it matter? Listen to them all -anyone searching to enlighten and improve his own experience and existence would simply listen... and listen... and listen... comparisons of men who are so different from one another really can't be made. However, what is the big ado with tradition? How is it that the jazz community gets a bad name? Try memorizing the melody and changes to Stella by Starlight. There are more genres out there that you can bad mouth, if you like. Try listening to world music and hearing the multi-cultural sound of the saxophone experience around the world, and you will discover you live in an isolated mindset, limited to what you have experienced. As for me, I will play classical pieces and etudes like a black belt studies kata, but I will not go into a fight and try to perform kata... I am ecstatically guilty of being a contemporary music expert with an extensive classical background. Like Bruce Lee who challenged tradition, I say to you, what, my good friends, is the point?

Reply To Post

2. by jsiegel
                    (1 post)

16 years ago

My vote goes to Bill Scheiner. He was a marvelous teacher (and person) to many musicians. One being Stan Getz. He was spectacular on the clarinet as well as alto and tenor saxes.

Reply To Post

3. by aaron.lackey21
                    (1 post)

13 years ago

Hahaha hey everyone... I know Mr. Fraedrich. He's my private lessons teacher:) And you'd be crazy to not think he's one of the most amazing if not THE MOST amazing sax player you've ever heard in your life.!

Reply To Post

1. by JSalazar6
                      (1 post)

10 years ago

There are is no best there are only preferences. Some are better are better at other things than other just because you have have amazing technique and tone does not mean you know how to play a phrase. Can you imagine if a violinists played fast and narrow vibrato all the time like some saxophonists tend to do, wouldn't that sound not so great? Rememeber we are all musicians here we should try our best to be good musicians not just good saxophonists persay; both should be our goal in the end.

Reply To Post