Saxophone Forum

by KCSaxGal
(46 posts)
20 years ago

Selmer AS500 - Did I buy the wrong horn?

I have recently gotten back into playing after not touching a sax for about 7 years. The alto I owned from back in high school was a Bundy II. I played tenor/bass in college and rented from the college. I decided to get back into playing and decided to buy a new alto. I should have done a little research maybe first and I was talked into buying a Selmer AS500. Does anyone have an opinion on this model? It seems to play good but I am just now getting back into playing and I wanted a sax that I could grow into as I get back into playing. Is this model going to cut it or should I sell it for what I can get and get a better model? I am tempted by the reference 54, it looks sweet, but if this sax will be ok then I will keep it. I am using a Meyer 6M mouthpiece with Vandoren Medium Reeds. I also have a Selmer S80 C*. I am playing in a community band and found that the Meyer has alot more response. But I don't know much about mouthpieces or reeds. Any information or advice would be appreciated!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kara
    (1 post)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer AS500 - Did I buy the wrong horn?

What is the difference between the Selmer AS500 and the AS500 Aristocrat? (I hope I didn't make a major error. I was playing the AS500 Aristocrat, but I PURCHASED an AS500, and it doesn't say AS 500 and Aristocrat on it. Being such a beginner, I didn't even have the knowledge in me to think to ask the difference between an AS500 AND an AS500 Aristocrat. Any reassurances or constructive criticism about the difference would be much appreciated! (I can't return it. It's not the seller's fault, it's mine for not being informed to ask.) Thanks so much!!! Kara

Reply To Post

2. by c-sax
    (4 posts)

18 years ago

Hey! I have played nearly every selmer sax i can get my hands on and i think that you will find that you have a very nice horn. To clear up any confusion, the AS500 is made in taiwan while the AS500 Aristocrat is made in the US. I play the AS500 Aristocrat simply because it is my favorite sax out there. It compares to the Selmer series II for a fraction of the price, and it is not much different than the sax you are playing. I hope this could be of help. peace

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Tony Alto
      (9 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the info! I am a fifth grader who is going to play the alto sax. My mom and I are still choosing what alto I should play. Do you know if there is a good student silver alto sax? I like the silver ones best. peace :)

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Tony, looks arn't everything if thats what your going for=)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by KCSaxGal
          (46 posts)

18 years ago

true but to a fifth grader they are. When I was in 5th grade..... (won't tell you how long ago that was :)) I was the only kid with a silver horn and I was made fun of so bad. I actually made my parents sell that vintage horn and buy me a crappy replacement. I so wish I had that old horn back!

Reply To Post

2. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

I always wonder why people with silver horns get looked at differently (atleast here they do)...

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Tony Alto
          (9 posts)

18 years ago

We decided at a music store that we're getting a Selmer AS500 ! It's gold with silver and pearl keys!The only problem is where to get it! Do you know any good online places to shop!

Reply To Post

4. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Why not just buy it at that music store...

Reply To Post AIM

5. by KCSaxGal
          (46 posts)

18 years ago

If they have it there then I would support your local music store. Look online and find some prices and then ask them to get as close to that as possible. They usually aren't able to match the price but the little bit more you pay will be worth it. As a new player you will be dealing with that local music store quite a bit... it's good to build a relationship with them. Also a new horn needs some adjusting that as a new player you will be unable to do. If you buy the horn there then they are more likely to help you out and make sure everything is good with the horn. Congradulations on the journey you are about to start Tony. I started on the same path 23 years ago and I haven't looked back.

Reply To Post

6. by Tony Alto
          (9 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you for the congrats!I went to Devoe's yesterday .Their AS500 was $1395.00. He was going to discount it if we purchased it.My mom wanted to get it.When the guy looked up the price in a book he saw that the price should have been $1600.00. He wouldn't give us the price on the tag.There's another place in Doylestown my mom said we could try. Wish me luck! :)

Reply To Post

7. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you for the congrats!I went to Devoe's yesterday .Their AS500 was $1395.00. He was going to discount it if we purchased it.My mom wanted to get it.When the guy looked up the price in a book he saw that the price should have been $1600.00. He wouldn't give us the price on the tag. That salesman is a blooming idiot. What he looked up sounds like List price, which is like a 'suggested retail price' in the industry. Most places discount off of it significantly, much more then the $200 of the $1600 price. I'm glad you didn't pay list price. Really, I think list price is a weapon manufactures provide to make people feel better about paying so much for an instrument ("Well you could be paying THIS much..."), as well as a way for salesmen to kajole people into *thinking* they're getting a deal. Go to the store similiarly armed: Get a few prices from the web on the model horns you are looking for. Print them off. Show them to the local people, especially if they insist on List price. They are not going to be able to match the Web price, but they should be able to come down a bit, especially if they quote you the List price of the instrument.

Reply To Post

8. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

When the guy looked up the price in a book he saw that the price should have been $1600.00. He wouldn't give us the price on the tag. Actually, in this act he may have been breaking the law. Anyway, have you looked at the Jupiter" target="other">www.wwbw.com/Jupiter-869SG-Artist-Alto-Saxophone-i34733.music>Jupiter artist series? I've played a few and found them to be quite good. They meet your wishes of a silver plated horn, gold lacquered keywork, and also have a solid sterling silver neckpipe. Like the Selmer you have picked out, they are both Taiwanese manufactured.

Reply To Post

9. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

Reply To Post

10. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

Reply To Post

11. by Tony Alto
          (9 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the sites!The Jupiter looked great!At the other store we saw another cool looking and sounding sax.I got to play it.The guy there said he's actually gonna be my high school band instructor.I got a lot of good info from him!Our decision should be made by the end of the next weekend.Thanks for all the help! :)

Reply To Post

12. by Tony Alto
          (9 posts)

18 years ago

The Yanagisawa we looked at is gold and silver.It's expensive!!!Mom said we should ask for Santa to get us one for X-Mas!I got to play it and save the reed!They said I was good at it!Mom said this should be my last post until I get my sax.I won't listen.Thanks again for all the wise information! :)

Reply To Post

13. by Tony Alto
          (9 posts)

18 years ago

Today was the big day!!! I got my first saxophone!!! It's silver with gold keys! It's a Selmer and it's new! We got it for $1,400.00!!!!!!!!!! It took a long time to find that sax but we found the right instrument!

Reply To Post

14. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

Congratulations! What model is it?

Reply To Post

15. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

I'm glad you have a new horn you are happy with. Treat it right and I'm sure it will treat you well. :)

Reply To Post

16. by Tony Alto
          (9 posts)

18 years ago

I have a LAS501! It's a Liberty made by Selmer! I might take lessons at the music store before school begins! I'm all ready for the next school year! I also got the music books I need! I can't wait to know how to play the Pink Panther! P.S. I learned about Wisconsin at school! Your lucky to be from there! You get food for free if you have a farm! :) I'd miss the beach though! :(

Reply To Post

17. by Tony Alto
          (9 posts)

18 years ago

Lessons are great! I have been taking private lessons at Fretz! Also, I have lessons going on at school! I'm ahead of my class!

Reply To Post

18. by Tony Alto
          (9 posts)

18 years ago

Lessons are great! I have been taking private lessons at Fretz! Also, I have lessons going on at school! I'm ahead of my class!

Reply To Post

19. by yhath
          (1 post)

18 years ago

price is correct, it is being sold here in Binghamton NY for $1675 brand new. Thats about the right price I have seen it everywhere.

Reply To Post

20. by Mr.Music
          (1 post)

16 years ago

Hi, Really? I know a music store very close to Devoe's in Montgomeryville. Its only 5 minutes away from Devoe's. They are a brand new music store that has a lot of things. Their instruments are very cheap too!! They said they are a Conn-Selmer Dealer which has other brands in it. They are having a grand opening special until September (2008). They are selling the AS500 Saxophones for only $1099!! Thats an great price compared to the other store. The music store's whole family are musicians. If you want more info, call them at 215-362-2340. Some of my friends bought it and they love it. I went to the store yesterday and they were all out of stock, but they ordered one for me and they said it would take about a week. It's worth the wait for that price.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

They are REALLY nice - ive never played any of the new student model selmers, but they are all REALLY good looking. If I had to pick just from close examination - without playing I would probably choose the AS700 - its fully ribbed with metal thumbrests. But the case sucks - weve had buyers come in for new cases after a month. But I dont know - havent played any of them to know exactly. But I can garauntee you, that 500 is a REAL good horn. Not by professional standards, but by student model standards - they are more like intermediate models than before.

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

I think the AS500 is fine. Most any new horn with the exception of fly-by-night eBay only brands should be good enough to get back into playing. Quite frankly, having your Bundy II tuned up should suffice quite well for getting back into playing. If the new horn helps your motivation, then that's a good thing, too. I love my original Bundy II, but it has been through hell and back and looks like it. Still plays fine, though. I bought a Selmer III to get myself going again after a little hiaitus, but have found that I don't have to hold a $3000 horn in my hands to play well. Welcome back, and good luck.

Reply To Post

1. by cfsatb
          (11 posts)

20 years ago

find a qualified private teacher. good luck.

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

This is so important I'm going to repeat it... "but have found that I don't have to hold a $3000 horn in my hands to play well." now if only more people knew that.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by KCSaxGal
            (46 posts)

20 years ago

My big thing was I didn't know if the Selmer 'made in Taiwan' models were any good. I am happy now that I didn't spend $3000. Though I still wonder if I should have taken the $1000 I spent and put it towards a used Selmer Paris model? Overall though I am happy with my purchase and am enjoying playing again.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
              (984 posts)

20 years ago

The only emotional hurdle I would face in buying an AS500 is the fact it's made in Taiwan. Not from a quality standpoint, necessarily, but one of perhaps blind principle. I'd have maybe taken that $1000 and found a really nice Conn 6M. Investing in a great legacy and history as well as a great horn.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
              (559 posts)

20 years ago

holy crap! if I said the 500 was mad ein taiwann I was screwed up - the 500 is usa - the 6 and 700 is taiwann

Reply To Post

3. by SaxMan
              (559 posts)

20 years ago

by the way - I think we sell the 500 for 700

Reply To Post

4. by KCSaxGal
              (46 posts)

20 years ago

yeah, I realized afterwards that I paid too much. I will do more research before I ever buy another sax.

Reply To Post

5. by KCSaxGal
              (46 posts)

20 years ago

my AS500 is stamped 'Taiwan' on in

Reply To Post

6. by sax_maniac
              (984 posts)

20 years ago

So is my student's 500...

Reply To Post

7. by SaxMan
              (559 posts)

20 years ago

What the hell? maybe im thinking of the 1244.

Reply To Post

8. by mttsaxman
              (16 posts)

18 years ago

Yes...you should have bought a Conn.

Reply To Post

2. by altosaxmom
            (1 post)

16 years ago

My daughter has the AS500 Alto Sax that was made in Taiwan. We have not had good luck with the quality of this instrument. Pins are constantly coming loose. We have taken it to the music shop for repair several times. She takes good care of it, too. I'm really disappointed. I wish we had known that there is a model that is made in the U.S. We bought it new two years ago. Now we are in the market for a new Alto Sax. I want to sell the one we have. Any suggestions for a better Alto Sax that we can purchase for $1500 or less?

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
              (653 posts)

16 years ago

really, there arent any horns made in the US anymore. You can find Yamaha 23's fairly cheap used. actually, i think there paul maslin has a 23 alto for 600 right now www.pmwoodwind.com in case your interested

Reply To Post

3. by HAILEYgrrIMaDINO
            (2 posts)

14 years ago

Ah, I just bought this horn(Selmer AS500) about three weeks ago for marching band. I payed $1785 for it, which is a lot, but that comes with insurance and everything from a trusted local music store. Anyway, from the experience I've had with it so far it's a great horn. It's easy smooth to play and it has a nice sound to it. It looks very pretty, too. (:

Reply To Post

4. by soren0071
            (1 post)

13 years ago

The AS500 is a generally good horn when you get it, but after 2-3 years it begins to get annoying having to take it to the shop every week to get it worked on. Then again that was after a season of marching band.... It is an overall good horn, it just starts to break down alot later on.

Reply To Post

1. by Thatsaxguy
              (1 post)

13 years ago

In contrast to soren0071's post, I would like to say that I've had an AS500 for nearly 4 years now and I've only had it in the shop twice. One time was due to a particularly brutal marching show (rain, muddy fields, no time to let the pads dry :( the works), and the other was because I mistakenly trusted someone with my horn. I get an amazing sound quality out if it, and most of my section used to think I playing some $3000 pro model! I prefer a basic 4C mouthpiece (I'm looking into getting a metal mouthpiece jazz band) and Vandoren Java Red cut reeds.

Reply To Post

5. by Davo
            (1 post)

7 years ago

I have my Masters in sax performance & woodwind pedagogy.  Been a band director in Texas 36 years.  Play in, and conduct community bands.

If you have the $$$, a new Selmer Paris Reference "Jubilee" in the $7,400 range to $8,700 would be awesome!  I would envy you! I still play on my 1977 Selmer Paris Mark VII.  My professor in college played it and said it was the best Mark 7 he'd ever played - intonation-wise and tone.  I dislike the big spatula keys, but the sound is amazing.

The AS 500 is a student horn.  Bit nicer than the true Beginner Prelude 711 or any of the old Bundys.  

If you want to really play, sell the AS 500 to a beginner in your area.  Buy a Selmer AS 42, the entry into the Pro horns. It is a rather new combo between Selmer USA & Selmer Paris. I have a dozen or so students with this nice horn.  About $2900 new.  I also like the Selmer 280 "La Voix II" ($2475).  For a little more, you can get a black nickel or a copper body for a slightly darker sound.  I have some students with this horn as well.  An Intermediate-Plus Selmer.

Can't EVER go wrong with any of the Selmer Paris models you had mentioned.  Expensive, but worth every penny.  If you want an alto between the AS 42 and the Reference models, you can look at Paul Muriat models... and Yanigasawa.  There are a few Muriat altos in their pro line in the $3,000 to $4,000 ranges... they call them 'pro' and are very nice horns.  Tend to play louder and less controlled than a Selmer pro, but great for Jazz.

The Selmer Paris C* or C** Mouthpieces can't be beat!!   None better.  I like the Vandoren Optimum in the middle facing, too.  Meyer Mocs are entry Mocs for lighter jazz.  Unless you were performing a pop or Broadway-type piece, I would use the Selmer C* in community band.  Do you have a few top method books to get your technique developed?  Let me know, and I can recommend 3-5 method books to help you develop.  Have to know all 12 scales in various patterns - thirds, fourths, etc. to get good.  A metronome is a must, too.  Vandoren V-12 reeds are my recommended reeds (#3 until you build up your musculature).  Vibrato studies!  Best of Luck!!

Reply To Post