Saxophone Forum

by spitzlvr
(1 post)
10 years ago

New to site with Conn question

Hi there,

I just joined your site. I used to play 30+ years ago. I have a Conn (I believe Chuberry) that has been in my family probably 40 years.
I have played it for fun over the years, but not done much else with it till recently - my son has taken up the trumpet, and we have started playing together.

Now, the sax is nickel (I assume - silver finish), and does not have the original neck. The neck it has is not a great fit.
I want to get a neck that fits correctly - that way all screwups are due to my playing, not an ill-fitting neck.
How would I go about doing this? I know there are replacement necks out there, but I don't know how to get one that will fit my Conn correctly.
I have also seen several Chuberrys on ebay - one is there right now, up for parts, and it has a neck.
A tiny part of me says i should just buy a little student horn and forget my Conn. But I am very attached to this Conn and really want to use it.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

10 years ago

Re: New to site with Conn question

There are several things you can try before giving up on your Conn.  You can shim the neck tenon, and maybe the cork, with teflon tape to get a good seal and see if that makes it play better.  If it plays reasonably well and in tune with teflon tape, the neck tenon can be expanded to fit the receiver by a repair tech.  If for some reason your current neck is hopeless, there are aftermarket necks available.  If your horn is a tenor, there are necks made specifically for it.

http://www.musicmedic.com/catalog/products/part-sg200.html

If your horn is an alto, you'd have to ask the vendor if one of those alto necks would work with your Conn.  The vendor is also a high end repair shop that has lots of experience with Conns. 

It would also be worth your while to have the horn checked for leaks by a repair tech.  

Reply To Post