Saxophone Forum

by qbaker
(7 posts)
10 years ago

CONN SHERWOOD MASTER TENOR SAX

Hello,

I recently purchased a Conn Sherwood Master Tenor Saxaphone. Serial No. 111948.

I'm wondering if anyone could please help me identify:

1. The year the horn was made in.
   2. Any information on the Sherwood Master Tenor line is also appreciated.
   3. Its Value.       

Images of the horn below.

Thanks-

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

10 years ago

Re: CONN SHERWOOD MASTER TENOR SAX

Your pictures don't render well enough to give much information.

Reply To Post

1. by qbaker
      (7 posts)

10 years ago

Try taking a look at my photos on this forum. Got some good information there but not year of make.
      www.saxophonepeople.com/conn-sherwood-master-tenor-saxophone-15752.html#15753

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

10 years ago

There is little to no information matching serial numbers to production dates for most stencil horns.  There's usually not a whole lot of value riding on production dates for stencil horns, so people tend not to care.  Your horn has the 10M style bell keys, which constrain its earliest production date to the mid to late 1930s.  Conn started nickel plating the keywork on their second line horns some time in the early 1950s.  The keywork looks mechanically similar to that on the Pan American stencils and the later 16M student model produced by Conn.  Youe horn could have the value quoted on the other site only if it is straight, mechanically sound, and in good playing condition.

Reply To Post

1. by qbaker
          (7 posts)

10 years ago

Yes, I have exerienced the lack of information available on stencil horns. I've also learned that serial numbers asscociated with stencil instruments do not correlate with those of their manufacturers. In my case, E.g. 'Sherwood...' to 'Conn'. 

I am not as concerned with the monetary value, It's just nice to appreciate the history of the horn, and the beauty produced by it. So I wanted to know when the horn was made in part (to know), in part (to appreciate).

You have to have a pretty trained eye and acquaintence with horns to guestimate its' age in the way that you have with such attention to detail.

Thank you for your information. It was very insightful and most helpful.

Reply To Post