Saxophone Forum

by jmlinne
(2 posts)
10 years ago

Fluttering on G

Like so many I see here, I am starting up again.  I dug out the old Conn 10M I bought in the early '60s and found the movers dropped it so hard it was bent slightly.  After a couple of trips to the tech for straightening and a thorough clean and oil I got out the 2 1/2 reed and tried it.  I'm having trouble when I move from A to G.  I have to blow hard to keep it from fluttering on notes from G down.  I bought a #2 reed (the lowest he had) and still get it.  Is this just my emboschure (sp?) or could it be a leaky key?  I don't want to frustrate myself to the point of quitting if it's in the sax.  I love this thing and want to play again.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxgourmet
    (127 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Fluttering on G

open up the pip on the body to a #42 drill and the pip on the neck to a #38 drill

STEVE GOODSON
    New Orleans
    www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

1. by jmlinne
      (2 posts)

10 years ago

Whoah!  Lost me there.  What are the "pip"s?  I could probably find that on this site somewhere maybe.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgourmet
        (127 posts)

10 years ago

the pips are the two tubes which extend into the neck and the body that have the octave "tone hole"......

STEVE GOODSON
        New Orleans
        www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
      (842 posts)

10 years ago

Did your tech check the horn for leaks?

Reply To Post

3. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

10 years ago

You have a leak. It may be A, it may be G it may be a side key. It may be high E key slightly leaking. I just picked up a free LED flashlight from Harbor Freight that will drop down the bell of a tenor and slide all the way up. Very bright, like the UFO ship on Close Encounters...You need to be able to drop a leak light through the horn and figure it out. You need to find a good tech that would be able to do this for you since it has already been over a techs table recently. If you were in Cincy, it would be free for me to check it over while you watched and we listened to Coltrane in my shop. It can be as simple as a spring that needs tightened, or a side pad that has gotten dirty and just needs a slight cleaning. Its always the simple things that cause players to go nuts. Good Luck

Reply To Post