Saxophone Forum

by noahmil
(2 posts)
10 years ago

Yamaha vs Selmer

Hi guys, I was wonder wheather the Selmer SAS280 la Voix II or the Yamaha YAS-480 is a better saxaphone, or if there are any better ones in their price range

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Yamaha vs Selmer

Buying from Selmer or Yamaha either is a safe bet!

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

10 years ago

Between the two, I'd go with the Yamaha.  Selmer USA sells Asian-made horns with a premium tacked on for the Selmer name, but it's the Selmer Paris horns that made Selmer famous.  You might also consider Chateau, Antigua, Kessler, and Cannonball.  They seem to offer decent value at moderate prices.

Reply To Post

1. by noahmil
      (2 posts)

10 years ago

Of  Chateau, Antigua, Kessler, and Cannonball which would you recommend?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

10 years ago

Hard to say.  Chateau, Antigua, and Cannonball have distribution to brick and mortar music stores, so you can try them in the stores.  I forgot Jupiter, which makes pretty good Yamaha clones.  They're also in stores.  I suspect Cannonball might be a bit pricier than the other brands.  I think they all have dealers listed online.

Kessler Music is a store in Las Vegas with a very reasonably priced house brand.  You can order their products online and they have a trial policy. 

If you're looking for a student Alto, Saxgourmet has the Bon Fils model available online.

All of the brands I mentioned market well made Asian horns.  There are also a lot of not so good Asian horns, so be careful with unfamiliar brands. 

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

10 years ago

Buy a Yamaha from Saxquest!

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by tempomaster
        (36 posts)

9 years ago

What is your price range?  What style of music do you play? 

Reply To Post