Saxophone Forum

by jkephart
(1 post)
10 years ago

HELP!! 1953 SBA for sale, can't find any info on it to price.

Please see my ebay listing. I know it is set high, but this piece is so rare I don't know what to do. any help appreciated!! I have taken it to dozens of shops, called all around the country, and had many pros play and exmaine this horn. all of them have never seen an exact one like it, and all of them made offers on the spot. none of which I knew were fair or not. everyone has offered between 4,000 and 5,000 , but i feel like their eagerness is hiding something. It has only been compared to SIMILAR models and lower serial # ranges.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161215209810?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

PLease Contact me here, my email [email protected], or text 702-556-9792702-556-9792 

Call Send SMS Add to Skype You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

10 years ago

Re: HELP!! 1953 SBA for sale, can't find any info on it to price.

The offers you are getting seem about right to me, unless of course it's in like new condition.

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

10 years ago

Dude, ONE POST in the appropriate section is enough!

Reply To Post

3. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

10 years ago

Greetings-
         It looks like what you have here is a late vintage Super Balanced Action alto with an early vintage Mark VI replacement neck. If its a VI neck, it looks like someone soldered the original SBA badge on it. Either that or its the original neck with a Mark VI hindge. Is the serial number of the horn stamped on the opposite side of the tenon from the "5"?
         The sax is American engraved so it should have the serial number if its the original neck. If not, then its definitely not original to your horn. The late 50's and early 60's Mark VI replacement necks were stamped with numbers 4, 5 or 6. Some were also stamped with letters. I've seen M, P, and S. I'm not entirely certain what the number or letter stamps referenced. But its common knowledge amongst serious collectors and dealers that these necks were period replacement necks. We've seen several SBA (and Mark VI for that matter) altos and tenors pass through the shop ranging in serial numbers with Mark VI necks stamped like this.

My guess is that the original owner wanted the more focused sound than you get from a Mark VI neck and purchased it as an aftermarket accessory for the horn and had it modified (maybe even at Selmer) with the original SBA badge..........or maybe the original neck was damaged or lost (if there's no serial number on it). If the serial number is on the neck then it was fitted with a Mark VI hindge at some point.

Even so, its a cool sax and probably plays great.

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

4. by birdlover
    (43 posts)

10 years ago

You know, people take time to answer the stupid questions I see here and then cannot even be bothered to say thank you. Just plain rude if you ask me. How about a thank you to Mark.

Reply To Post