Saxophone Forum

by earmic
(2 posts)
10 years ago

1926 Buescher Engraved with "Jimmy Dorsey"

Your opinions on this alto sax, please!

Engraved with: "Buescher", "True Tone", "188692", "Jimmy Dorsey",

It is two-Toned with Silver Body and Gold Keys.

Neck is engraved with "1" and "PAT" "MAR 2, 26"

Has Buescher case.

Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxgourmet
    (127 posts)

10 years ago

Re: 1926 Buescher Engraved with "Jimmy Dorsey"

Although it looks to be in nice condition, if you are attempting to establish some connection to Jimmy Dorsey you're going to have to do a lot better than just bell engraving......documentation to verify ownership is essential......also, "Jimmy Dorsey" is a common name....which Jimmy Dorsey are we talking about? Other than that, you've got a nice example of an old saxophone which is in a serious over supply vs. market demand

STEVE GOODSON
    New Orleans
    www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

2. by earmic
    (2 posts)

10 years ago

I don't actually think that this horn belonged to Jimmy Dorsey, I'm just trying to establish if there was a model he endorsed of the true tone and if the two-tone is an original finish.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

10 years ago

I don't think it's an original two-tone.  It looks to me like a nickel finish that someone has given a two tone style with lacquered keys.  The two tone finish was a premium finish in matte silver with burnishing where the bell was engraved.  We don't see any bell engraving on this horn.  Use the link to compare this one with a real two tone finish.

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=gal&c=3360

The keywork is a real drawback on this horn - no front F key, direct G#, and a primitive LH cluster.  Shortly after this horn was produced, Buescher improved the keywork on the True Tones.

Jimmy Dorsey may well have played a True Tone early in his career, but the only official "Jimmy Dorsey" model sax I'm aware of was a Selmer from the 1930s.

Reply To Post