Saxophone Forum

by jazzgolf
(5 posts)
10 years ago

Selmer Mark VI baritone

I have a Selmer Mark VI baritone in it's original case and in good condition, although it has not been played in years. What is it worth, if I should decide to sell it?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Selmer Mark VI baritone

Can you post up a few photos? Also, we need a serial number to date the horn to give an accurate price range. Value will depend on several factors including age of the instrument, original lacquer or relacquer, wear to the finish, damages or past damage repairs, and pad condition. Looking forward to seeing more information.

Reply To Post

1. by jazzgolf
      (5 posts)

10 years ago

OK, I am not very computer-savvy, but I'll try to post some photos and the serial number. Thanks.

Reply To Post

2. by jazzgolf
      (5 posts)

10 years ago

I have posted a few photos of the horn and case.  Again, the serial # is: 18969.

Reply To Post

3. by jazzgolf
      (5 posts)

10 years ago

I have posted pictures and the serial number of my Selmer baritone sax.  Where do I go from here?

Reply To Post

1. by saxgourmet
        (127 posts)

10 years ago

18969 is not a Mk VI serial number

STEVE GOODSON
        New Orleans
        www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

1. by jazzgolf
          (5 posts)

10 years ago

My mistake: This Selmer baritone saxophone is NOT a Mark VI, but rather a Radio Improved model.  According to Selmer's serial number charts, it was produced in the 1930's.

Reply To Post

2. by Saxquest
          (420 posts)

10 years ago

The biggest issues with Selmer bari saxes from this era are twofold; 1. They typically don't tune well at all and 2. The key mechanisms are antiquated. It probably has more collector's value than actual player's value. The problem you're going to find is that most average collectors are looking for altos and tenors not baris. My guess is that you could find someone to pay in the $2000 price range for a Selmer Super bari in decent condition. Best of LucK!!

Cheers,
               Mark Overton
               www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post