Saxophone Forum

by cycles
(42 posts)
10 years ago

Pan Am Alto

Hi all
need help in dating a recent purchase. A Pan American Alto. Ser. No. 155024 has the one side bell keys. It is a nice player. Plays similar to a Chu Berry Alto. Very flexable Conn sound.
thanks
PS. Will post some picss. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cycles
    (42 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Pan Am Alto

Pics. Pan American Alto. 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

10 years ago

There's essentially no record of Pan Am serial numbers and production dates.  Pan Ams are categorized into broad age ranges by various features.  Yours is a later one with the left side bell keys.  The earlier ones have the split bell keys like the Chu. The chromatic F# looks like one on a Director and there is no RH G# trill key, so I would guess yours is quite late in the run.  In 1955 the Pan Am was rebranded as the Director.

Reply To Post

1. by cycles
        (42 posts)

10 years ago

Much appreciated GFC. Definately fits your description, in fact I think it still has the original pads. If you notice from the pics, the Ab pad cup has much more shine than the rest. The reson being, I had to re stick the pad as it was floating loose, and as I had the key off I gave it a quick buff and a coat of Canuba wax. I have since done the same to all the keys on the bottom stack. Also as there is not much movement, with the keys, the pads have found there position, and so the horn plays the same. Just the top stack to do now.

Reply To Post

2. by 58M
      (1 post)

10 years ago

I am curious if your Pan Am says '58M' above the serial number?  Mine does, and the serial # is 58XXX, it also has the later style left bell keys.

Reply To Post