Saxophone Forum

by etmann
(1 post)
9 years ago

Dry mouth during a gig

I usually have my own water bottle or bottled Aquafina, Ice Mountain, etc. brands on a gig. Lately it seems some create an even drier mouth after I drink it. I am sure it's based on the mineral content. But has anyone experienced this and what solutions did you come up with?

I don't want to switch to something that could leave residue in my horns like pop or juice. But ideally if there was something still clean for the horn yet give me relief from an annoying situation.

Appreciate any suggestions.  

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Dry mouth during a gig

Water is the best thing to drink when on a gig. I usually just have a water bottle from home that I fill up from the tap at home. I've never been a big fan of bottled water. 

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by migene
      (1 post)

9 years ago

Thanks. Unfortunately water isn't doing it for me. I ususally fill my bottle at home with ice. Must be my body chemestry changing. I'll keep trying different water sources. May try the Biotene just before the gig. 

Eugene Mann

Reply To Post

2. by Rhassan
    (1 post)

9 years ago

Sometimes there really is nothing to do with a dry mouth...
    there are good and bad days.

The thing that help me the most tough is to go ride my bike for a while
    it really makes my throat wide open and that's what I need to reach my sound.

When it comes to drinking water..
    It may be only me but I feel like the warmer my breath is, the better the sound is..
    I've noticed before that drinking cold water off the fridge seems to make things worse for me.

The best tip I can give you... at least the tip I use is..
    to drink room temp water. It really makes a difference for me.

I don't know if bottled water changes something.. I only drink tap water
    anyways. keep experiencing and stay away from sugar!

good day

Reply To Post