Saxophone Forum

by theokayplayer
(3 posts)
9 years ago

Growling on Saxophone

Hi,

I've been trying to create a growling effect on my alto sax. I know that there are several ways to growl, but I think the most common is "singing" or "humming" a note while playing another.

I've tried this many times, however I can't make any progress. I just can't hum and play at the same time. Is there I'm doing wrong? I start humming and while the mouthpiece is in my mouth I blow and suddenly I stop singing. Is there a way to prevent this or is there an exercise? I really want to elarn how to create that dirty, saxophone sound.

No matter what I've tried I can't seem to get it. I know it should take a lot of practice, but I can't do it AT ALL.

Thanks! 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxPlayer32
    (5 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Growling on Saxophone

Try buying a duck call to practice, it's roughly the same way to produce a growling sound, worked for me

Reply To Post

2. by jakemadonia
    (3 posts)

9 years ago

it sounds odd, but try literally yelling while blowing. you will produce a growling effect

Reply To Post

3. by mgictwnger
    (46 posts)

9 years ago

I do something between a humm and a growl in the back of my throat. This gives the sound a raspy edge that I can easily control.

Reply To Post

4. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

9 years ago

I'm having just the opposite problem. I can't keep my Rosie the dog from growling when I play?

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

5. by HappySax
    (23 posts)

9 years ago

I know this is an older post but if it helps...hum (without the horn in your mouth at first) while humming keep your tungue down in your mouth and keep you throat open....practice doing this with your lips parted until you get some air moving out of your mouth while humming...It will work...hope this helps!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by theokayplayer
    (3 posts)

9 years ago

Hi all,

I know this is a little late to say, but I got the growl a a few months ago and I think i now have a pretty consistent growl now (low and high).

Thanks for all the help!

Reply To Post