Saxophone Forum

by TheOlajos
(8 posts)
9 years ago

True Tone, is it worth the buy?

Hey, im a one year sax player and my rental is up. Id like to spend the money on a decent one, but as a student 300+ is too much. 
I fell in love with the look of these old guys, and I was wondering if it is worth the price or if it looks like a piece of junk. I can do work to it if need be, but if its more garbage than instrument please let me know!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371162893065?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

If you have any suggestions, they will really help! I am looking for a darker smoky tone with a nice age to the instrument, rather than buying a new knockoff.

Cheers,
Isaac 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

9 years ago

Re: True Tone, is it worth the buy?

This would not be a good sax to learn on. Its a 20's vintage Buescher True Tone. The keywork is antiquated and the intonation is difficult to control. That being said, they do have a very free blowing response and sweet lyrical tone. However, this one appears to be in average condition and definitely needs a full overhaul. For the money that you would need to sink into this sax you could definitely get a better playing used student model saxophone.

I recommend finding a used King 613 alto. You can find these all set up and ready to go selling in the $500-$700 price range or "as is" in the $200-$300 range. However, when buying used or from an individual always be sure to have a used saxophone looked over by your local shop or by a local professional before deciding to purchase, if possible.

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by TheOlajos
      (8 posts)

9 years ago

Re: True Tone, is it worth the buy?

Thanks for the info. I ended up going with a 210XXX serial true tone in good playing condition. I had a yamaha 23 for 2 years in highschool and wanted an instrument that felt like a piece of art (all of my guitars have that criteria). Problem is the mouthpiece is chipped. Any suggestions on one that would give me the best sound? Reed strength? I went with a vandoren sample pack of #2.

Reply To Post