Saxophone Forum

by TheOlajos
(8 posts)
9 years ago

210xxx Buescher True Tone Alto Low Pitch - Best Setup?

I just purchased a '25 Buescher TT Alto low pitch. That being said, I need a mouthpiece (chamber? material? brand?) under 100, and a reed recommendation. I like a darker sound from my playing but I am not experienced enough to know the mechanics of each part. Any suggestions for a good setup? I have 2 sample packs of #2 and #3 vandoren reeds at the moment, no mouthpiece though.
      Also, any notes on caring for the satin silver finish? It needs a good clean but im not sure how to go about it without wearing down more.  
       Finally: Kangaroo, or calfskin pads? Ive heard ups and downs of both but never sound quality notes. Especially on a vintage TT

Thanks,
Isaac 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by TheOlajos
    (8 posts)

9 years ago

Re: 210xxx Buescher True Tone Alto Low Pitch - Best Setup?

Also, vintage or modern mouthpiece? I heard the chamber size rant is a load of junk? Confirm?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

9 years ago

Re: 210xxx Buescher True Tone Alto Low Pitch - Best Setup?

As a general rule, stick with conservative (low baffle, medium to large chamber) mouthpiece designs while you develop as a player.  You do not want to be in a position of being dependent on certain mouthpiece features as a substitute for good technique.

The chabmer size rant is not a load of junk.  The ideal is to have a mouthpiece that can be adjusted so that its interior volume equals the "missing" volume of the cone that would theoretically extend beyond the end of your neck to its vertex.  That is much harder to achieve with a smaller chamber and intonation problems can result.   Some horns are much more forgiving than others with regard to the range of mouthpieces that can be accomodated.  The only way to tell for sure is by play testing.  But your horn was produced in the era when low baffle, large chamber pieces were the only ones in existence.  

Kangaroo pads are nice (I use them) but the hardness of the felt used with them makes them unforgiving to install.  Unless you're sure the toneholes are absolutely level, and the keycups are perfectly aligned, forget it.  Better to stick with a softer backing unless you're going for a full overhaul so there is no mechanical play and everything is in perfect alignment.  

There are a number of silver cleaning, polishing, and restoration products that you can use without damaging the finish. 

Reply To Post