Saxophone Forum

by Redesigned
(2 posts)
9 years ago

Conn New Wonder Virtuoso Delux C-Melody Sax??

Think I might have run across a Conn New Wonder Virtuoso Delux C-Melody Sax at a pawn shop, but I'm not sure.  It is in pretty rough condition, but has C L marking above and below serial number. and is heavily engraved with a serial number of 93oxx.

Anybody know if this is what it is?  It is very dirty and might be pitted, can't tell if it's pits or just dirt.

It's in very rough condition but not badly dented, can you tell me what it might be worth paying for it?  Can it be restored and is it worth the trouble?

Thanks for the help

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by hornjunkie
    (2 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Conn New Wonder Virtuoso Delux C-Melody Sax??

Does it have the full pearl touch pieces on the LH pinky table/low C and low Eb?  It's hard to say if it can be saved or not but it is certainley worth a try.  My advice would be to try to get it for as low as possible and then take it to a repair tech for an evaluation.  We specialize in vintage saxophone restoration and would be happy to take a look at it if you end up with it.   Good Luck!  PS if you are interested or want to learn more about some of our restorations here is a link to our website: http://www.barnardrepair.com/

Reply To Post

1. by Redesigned
      (2 posts)

9 years ago

Thanks for the info.  after looking at your site, I realize it might not be a virtuoso delux.  but just a regular C melody sax. The engraving is exactly like the "Wind God" sax that you restored from the 1920's.  I haven't seen that etching before so I thought it must have been a custom job, making it a Virtuoso Delux.  I will check the pinky table to be sure.  Do you have any idea of the value of the wind god you restored?

Thanks 

Reply To Post

1. by hornjunkie
        (2 posts)

9 years ago

Another thing to look for is engraving on the key cups and perhaps even the body tube.  For reference you might want to check saxophone.org's museum they have a lot of virtuosso deluxes to compare to.  A cool thing about the virtuoso deluxes are that each one is a custom job, ie. just because it has the wind god design doesn't neccesarily mean it's not a virtuosso deluxe.  We don't have a real concrete value of that wind god bari we repaired.  Partly because it was so early and had a lot of issues to address.  Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.  Thanks,

Reply To Post