Saxophone Forum

by rmanparks
(1 post)
9 years ago

restart practice after a long time off

I played tenor sax with some local bands back in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s. self- taught by ear mostly. But I had some Great shed partners. Played mostly “soul, R&B, jazz, fusion…”.

I played a mark vi back then. I don’t have it now. I gave it away, and I have regretted it ever since.

I kind of dropped out of the scene after I got married and started a family. I’m in my 60’s now, but still have a yearning to play.

I’d like to try to start practicing with a soprano but I’m not sure how to shop for one. Just need some thoughts…Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

9 years ago

Re: restart practice after a long time off

Soprano is more difficult to play in tune than the bigger horns.  In your position, getting a horn that guides most strongly to good intonation would be my most important criterion.  Some horns are twitchier than others.  Good quality Taiwanese sopranos at moderate prices are available under the Antigua and Kessler brands.  Kessler in Las Vegas sells models from both brands, so there's a good chance they can match you with a horn that fits your criteria.  Jupiter, Chateau, and Cannonball are brands of good quality horns distributed to music stores, so you can try them out.  If you're considering a used horn, the Vito (Japan) soprano is a good horn made by Yanagisawa.  I would be cautious about Jupiter or Antigua in the used market because earlier examples from those companies were not of the same quality as their more recent products.  

Reply To Post