Saxophone Forum

by Bran1ston
(2 posts)
9 years ago

Help Identify Alto and Tenor Sax

Hello everyone,

First off let me say this is a wonderful site. Wish I got here a lot eariler. So I made an early new years resolution to get back into playing again. Also need to get some work done to them so I think I should know a little more about what I have and if its even worth it.

So the alto has a kingston stencil on it serial# 22xxx. Now Im very new at this so bare with me. Would that make it part of the Martain family/ handcrat possibly...Im not sure.

The tenor has a Clevelsnd stecil on it, Says made by King Craftsman, The H.N White Co.

Serial# C 69xxx. I found that one on the serial number chart..says 1924-25. Is that accurate or am i way off on these. I will post pics to help

Thanks everyone

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bran1ston
    (2 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Help Identify Alto and Tenor Sax

Here are some pics I hope this will help

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Help Identify Alto and Tenor Sax

Kingston was a brand of Martin stencil horns, sold under a brand different from the manufacturer's. The horn has Martin style soldered toneholes and the split bell keys are from a 1920s design.  Martin made good stencil horns.  

Can't tell too much about the tenor, but lacquer finish horns were introduced around 1930.  King and Cleveland were originally two separate brands of the H. N. White company and their serial numbers were not in the same sequence.  The "King Cleveland" was also a later student horn produced by King.  They are good student horns.  

Reply To Post