Saxophone Forum

by markmusic
(1 post)
9 years ago

Recordings of Scales on a Tenor Sax

I have attempted to learn to play saxophone a number of times over the last 20 years and became frustrated that although I can read music, I struggled to sight read. Each time I read music, it was almost like starting anew and I was getting nowhere fast.

About six months ago, I decided to give playing one more bash before giving up. Rather than reading music, I started listening to recordings and playing along (and copying) other sax players and found that I could learn really quickly this way. Oh the joy!! (I've since found out that I am dyslexic and the challenge is with processing anything visual at speed.) 

I am now at a point where I can pick up a lot of what I hear, note by note, but realise I need to learn more scales to progress. My long term ambition is to improvise.

Could anyone recommend where I might find recordings of someone playing scales on a Tenor Horn, so that I can learn them by ear?? Maybe there is someone with experience who has recorded their scale practise at a slower speed?

Having progressed this far it would be great to continue my education and get more from this wonderful instrument!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. No replies yet. Be the first!