Saxophone Forum

by mattheus
(2 posts)
9 years ago

Selmer VII Tenor?

I have read some really mixed opinions on the Selmer VII sax. I am in the market for a tenor, and have been play testing tenors for weeks. I have tried the Yamaha 62, 82z, 875 EX, Selmer II, III. Kelwerth SX 90R, Antigua Pro-One, Yanagisawa 901,902,991, and P-Mauriat's. Out of all the saxophones I test drove the P-Mauriat, Antigua-Pro One for new horns had the dark resonant quality I am looking for but the price was a bit high. However, a local shop has a Selmer VII tenor in my price range that is fully engraved with a brand new overhaul and no prior damage or re-lacquer. It had the sound I was looking for. I have long fingers and it just seemed to fit like a glove. My question is, do the Selmer 7 horns "tenor" have something that makes them undesirable? Such as poor materials "brass", shoddy key work, or anything I should be aware of? I really like how it plays, and coming from an old Antigua 500, it plays in tune, feels good, and sounds awesome.

Any personal insight would be appreciated.  

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Selmer VII Tenor?

Personally I prefer the Selmer Mark Vi. I have a Yamaha 62 purple logo that plays very nicely I use as my backup. The YTS 62 is a great horn on its own merrits, The Mark Vll has a bad reputation because it wasn't as good a horn as the Mark Vl. However....for the right money that might be what I'd buy.

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Zaxman
    (31 posts)

9 years ago

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Mark VII. They are talked about as being undesirable because they were the first thing Selmer made after the VI. Which is only bad because many people consider the VI to be the best ever made, so what ever follows is just going to be a sub par batman sequel. At that time the changes to the key sizes were also not super popular. There is absolutey nothing wrong with the materials or the brass. If you look at it like a professional Selmer tenor you will likely be very happy playing on one. If you have played one and love the feel, the sound and it plays in tune then it sounds like a perfectly nice match.

If you are looking for a modern equivalent with a nice Selmer feel and vibe
    and are trying to keep it under 3 grand there is also two horns on the Saxquest.com P. Mauriat specials you might want to check out.

http://www.saxquest.com/product/view/near-mint-p-mauriat-system-76-dk-tenor-saxophone-serial-pm0923113-P8177

The black peral and especially the 76 DK are quite nice.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by mattheus
      (2 posts)

9 years ago

Thank you for your response, very helpful!!

Matty E

Reply To Post

3. by GFC
    (842 posts)

9 years ago

If you're looking for that vintage vibe in a new tenor for less than $2500, the Phil Barone Vintage and Kessler Sonus are ones to consider.  

The quality didn't drop with the Mark VII, it just disappointed a lot of people because Selmer had abandoned that classic Mark VI sound.  In reality, they'd abandoned it in the last years of the Mark VI.  If you're looking for a brighter, more modern sounding horn, the Mark VII could be a good way to go. 

Reply To Post

4. by Richard L'Ecuyer
    (4 posts)

9 years ago

I had a mark VII for over 30 years an it 's a powerfull horn , mickael Brecker use to play with  VII , il realy like it , try that horn with a berg larsen #100 or a Lebayle ebonite . Huge sond and a fast horn . 

Reply To Post

5. by HappySax
    (23 posts)

9 years ago

I have a Tenor  VI  and  VII.... the tone is very close to equal. I do think that the "VII" is much better in tune throughout ith horn. I recorded with both horns over many years of playing and find the VII great. the g# key cluster is a bit large and more of a quick reach but easy to get used to it.  My opinion..play and enjoy a fine instument...Maury

Reply To Post Yahoo!