Saxophone Forum

by Blake_Thiel
(8 posts)
9 years ago

Tenor Sax Mouthpiece+Reed Combo

Hello! I'm an Alto player who recently switched to tenor for my jazz combo. I've recently been having trouble finding the perfect mouthpiece reed combo for playing. I'm borrowing 5 mouthpieces along with the tenor that I'm borrowing; Metal Berg Larsen, Metal Otto Link (8*), HR Otto (also 8*), Cannonball (7), and another Metal Otto with some modifications done by a guy named Michael Kaar.
The Reeds I've been using are either Medium Soft Rico Jazz Select unfiled or these reeds that are really good sounding but really hard, the brand is salazar reeds if anyone knows of them. 
So far the best two combinations I've found are:
1. Berg+Rico J.S.
2. Berg+Salazar

Combination #1 sounds great all around eccept for middle D&E don't have the same full sound I'm looking for. That and It is slightly harder to control.
Combination #2 has the same bright full sound that i'm looking for all the way up and down the horn, just like combination #1 and is easier to control. The only difference is the reeds are so hard I can't play as long without taking a breath and it always sounds like I'm slap tonguing.

So I'm wondering what other reeds I should try before mouthpieces since that's a little more expensive fix to the problem. I know rico royal's are good, I love la voz on my alto, I wasn't a huge fan of Vandoren on Alto when I tried them but I know other people are so what should I try? 

Also If I can't seem to fix the problem with a reed change (and I'm pretty sure I can) what mouthpieces should I try? Meyer, Metal Meyer, Theo Wanne, Jody Jazz, VanDoren, Beechler?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Tenor Sax Mouthpiece+Reed Combo

Your D and E problem with the RJS might be a quirk of the individual reed.  Try some others from the same box.  It also helps to break them in properly.  I prefer harder reeds for control, but they're something you have to work up to.  

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Tenor Sax Mouthpiece+Reed Combo

I am very happy with my Jody Jazz DV 7* and Rico Jazz reeds 2M filed. Rico recently changed their Jazz reeds name. I haven't tried the Jazz reed with the new name they've changed to....I hope they haven't changed the reed itself? Lots of luck....sounds like you're on the right track.

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM