Saxophone Forum

by John Smokey
(3 posts)
9 years ago

looking for help finding value of this vintage sax

Hello, as the title says I'm trying to figure out the value of this vintage saxophone. So far what I've been able to gather from it is it's a Buescher True Tone, Low Pitch and made in Elkhart ? aslo the serial number is 135305. Any help would be great. Also it seems to be in great working condion with no dents and some dust. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

9 years ago

Re: looking for help finding value of this vintage sax

http://www.saxgourmet.com/vintage-saxophone-value-guide/

Keep in mind that those are dealer, not private sale prices.  I would also adjust the price of that particular horn lower by at least a couple of hundred because its keywork is so antiquated. 

Reply To Post

1. by John Smokey
      (3 posts)

9 years ago

Hey, thanks for the response ! however there's so may variations that I'm having some trouble formulationg a price range. Could you help me out with this ? I only ask your opinion; that would be very helpful and much apperchiated. I can provide more information or photos if that would make it easier. Thanks again 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

9 years ago

Here's the reasoning process.  The site lists a dealer price for a True Tone alto at $600.  That price does not differentiate between the later True Tones with improved keywork and earlier ones with the more primitive keywork such as yours.  The serial number places the date of manufacture in 1923.  The lack of  a front F key on your horn limits its upper range to high F and deprives the player of some important alternate fingerings for high E and F - a major drawback for anyone wishing to play the top of the horn.  The left hand pinky cluster is extremely primitive with drawbacks to ergonomics and functionality that Buescher would mitigate with redesigns within a couple of years - another strike against its value.  One important question is whether  the F bridge arm (operated by depressing the right hand stack keys) can close the G# key while the G# keytouch (pearl button on the LH cluster) is depressed.  If it can't, that would be another major drawback that would decrease its value.  So when you adjust the dealer price down to reflect a private sale price, then knock some more off because of the functional drawbacks of the keywork on that particular horn, you're left with a few hundred at best.  It's a beautiful looking horn, but more of a beautiful antique than an instrument that someone serious about playing would be interested in.

Reply To Post

1. by John Smokey
          (3 posts)

9 years ago

Thanks brotha; for the input and insight. 

Reply To Post

2. by saxgourmet
          (127 posts)

9 years ago

be sure to read the preface to the value guide and adjust the price accordingly........in the specific case of Buescher True Tones, there's a serious oversupply and almost no demand.....regardless of the variation, almost nobody wants them

STEVE GOODSON
          New Orleans
          www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post