Saxophone Forum

by PIP
(29 posts)
19 years ago

Selmer Mark VI in a pawn shop?

I was visiting some local pawn shops today just for fun and I happened to come across what apppears to be a selmer mark VI for $200. I know next to nothing about vintage horns but from what I know it looks pretty good. The downside is that it is in pretty bad shape. For instance the pads are all chewed up and there are dents everywhere. I went on saxgourmet.com and found that they could overhaul it for around $1500. I have been looking for a horn to step up to from my Cannonball 98 Knight series alto. Do you think I ought to buy it and get it redone?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer Mark VI in a pawn shop?

Get a few digital photos and the serial numbers and I might be able to help you.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

sarge at worldwidesax.com should be able to overhaul it for considerablly less than that.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I would think you could get a quality overhaul and have all the dents removed for less than $1100, but then again, I haven't seen the sax. Pretty hard to beat a Mark VI if that's what it is. Even if it's a balanced or a super action, it's well worth putting some money into.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by petersmith1
      (1 post)

8 years ago

You can seriously rip off buying at a Pawnshop they want top dollar for their tools.

Reply To Post