Saxophone Forum

by chase98bacon
(2 posts)
8 years ago

Selmer's Advanced models (Tenors)

Just curious. I see so many Selmer Models out there like the Series II Super 80, Series III, Reference 36 and 54 and of course the Mark VI and VII etc. 
Are all of these advanced models, and is there information someone can point me to do determine which model I shoiuld be looking at. I am going to be starting College in the Fall of 2016 as a performance major and minor in Jazz Studies.
At the moment my first choice is a Yamaha 875 EX, but I also like the Selmers. Enjoyed playing the Mark VII at the shop last weekend. Other than the Mark VI, are all of those other Selmers created equal or what are their differences?

Thank you

Chase 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Selmer's Advanced models (Tenors)

If you like the Mark VII and don't mind the ergos, why not go for it?  There's not the same market for the Mark VII as there is for other Selmers, but that puts you in a stronger position as a buyer.  Whether you like it better than the 875 EX is a matter of personal choice and, of course, your wallet.

Brief comments:

SA80/II - the most common Selmers.  Not always consistent quality.  Versatile.  Popular horn for college music programs.  Might be worthwhile at the right price. 

SA80/III - a somewhat brighter, more pop sound than the SA80/II.

Ref 36 - premium model intended to sound like a Balanced Action, which was introduced in 1936.  SA80/II tube with different neck, bow, and bell.  Generates favorable comments from players seeking a classic "vintage" sound.

Ref 54 - premium model imtended to sound like a Mark VI, which was introduced in 1954. SA80/II tube with different neck, bow, and bell. Some complaints that the tenors are stuffy, but lots of favorable comments about the altos.

Mark VI - Cha-CHING!  The most obsessed-over series of horns in the world.  Quirky but much loved, especially the tenors. Hard to generalize because of design changes through the run and a scattergun approach to quality towards the end of the run. Common opinion that the ones after about 180k aren't as "vintage" in their sound as the earlier ones.

Reply To Post