Saxophone Forum

by stunningbluemango
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Can the Sax be Muted for Practice?

I'd like to learn to play the sax, but live in an appartment and hate to subject all to the racket I'll be making the first year. Is there any way to quet the sax?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Can the Sax be Muted for Practice?

The best way to damp the sound of a saxophone is by playing into a closet full of clothes.

Reply To Post

2. by sdelbene
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

I' certainly no expert, but I believe that you can take a sock or two andball it up, then put it in the upper part of the bell. Make sure it's a sort of loose fit so air can pass. Doesn't do a lot for intonation but you shouldn't blow out your nieghbors.

Reply To Post

3. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

there are two kinds i have seen one is like the previous post, but it's kinda like a doughnut, foam wraped in cloth, you put it in the bell and it deadens the sound a little the other completly surronds the horn with holes for your hands and the neck sticking out, so kinda play the horn inside a box to dead the sound, or build yourself a soundproof box the sit in

Reply To Post

4. by mj_sax
    (7 posts)

19 years ago

Go to your local Home Depot...or whatever...get the materials to sound proof a closet or something... Find a spot in the basement of the building to build a sound-proofed practive box...most music schools have these booths that are sound proof...small...but at least the sound stays in...

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

You can't build something like that in an apartment. I live in an apartment also. The complex wouldn't allow soundproofing a closet! Besides, have you seen the size of the closets in most apartment complexes? Here's what I do. I limit my practice sessions to no more than 45 minutes at a time, and I practice between the hours of 11:00 am and 7:00pm. I talked to my neighbor above me and my neighbor behind me. I asked them if they had any complaints and neither of them cared. The neighbor behind me said that he's only heard me play when he walked past my door, that the sound doesn't bother him at all. The neighbor above me is very tolerant. He works in a bar, so he said the noise doesn't bother him at all. One night I was working on some blues, playing around with my keyboard recording and sequencing some stuff. He said that it sounded really cool, and he had to come check it out. The guy said he used to play bass guitar, so I handed him my Fender Precision bass and asked him if he wanted to lay down a bass track for me. He thumped around on my bass for a few minutes, and put down a pretty modest buy "tasty" blues bass line. The point is, if you get to know your neighbors a little, they're apt to be more tolerant. Just try to be respectful, let them know that they can come to you if you're being too loud and you will quiet down. Of course, try to play soft...ok, yes I play a Conn 10M and trying to play SOFT with a 10M is like trying to drive a race car on ice! But, I TRY to be as quiet as possible. There's always mom and dad's basement if all else fails!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

Saxco makes a gig-style bag that goes around the horn - you put the horn inside of it and your hands as well. It supposedly reduces the volume by 70%. I know a guy that used one in college and he said that it worked quite well. I know they make them for soprano, alto, and tenor - I don't know if they make them for bari. As if bari isn't heavy enough! A bell mute reduces the high harmonics which warms the tone but doesn't quiet it all that much except for the bell notes.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

I just read a couple reviews on the Saxco bags at Music123 and they were both poor. Best to try at a store, I guess. Good points made there about the bags retaining humidity, so it would be best to use it only for home use.

Reply To Post

2. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

correct me if im wrong/ uninformed on this but isnt the point of practicing in part to improve your tone/make your "voice" more mature?? how can u do that when ur covering the sound up and screwing with the intonation in the same respect..?? so wouldnt it make sense to just practice?? and eventually become a decent enough player that your neighbors will enjoy listening to you practice?? or just do what connsaxmanjim sed and be friendly and open to your neighbors about it.. unless ur living in a hella ghetto neighborhood where ppl dont care, as long as you have developed somewhat of a relationship with your neighbors you should be cool..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by JayJay
          (1 post)

10 years ago

I don't think it's feasible for everyone who lives in an apartment to be able to blow to their hearts content. No, it's not ideal to practice with your sound covered up, but what if you have an idea for a lick at 2 am in your terrible, thin walled apartment with neighbours who have to get up at 5:30 am? There's also a lot of tehcnical work that can be done quietly and is extremely effective at making your playing better. As someone who personally has a pretty great sound but needs to learn some more complex licks, quiet practice would be an ideal thing to do in my terrible thin walled apartment.

In respone to this specfic case, you need to hear your sound as a beginner. If you live in an apartment with amneties like a party room or even a ulitiy closet, ask if you can practice in there. Practice fingerings and technique with a sock in it and be nice to your neighbours.

Reply To Post

4. by saxgourmet
          (127 posts)

10 years ago

STEVE GOODSON
          New Orleans
          www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post