Saxophone Forum

by PhillipS.
(9 posts)
8 years ago

Jody Jazz HR* Rubber Mouthpiece

So I recently invested in a new mouthpiece, the Jody Jazz HR* mouthpiece. It plays very well and the sound is really making it's money's worth. I'm wondering, however, if there's any other jazz mouthpieces that people would reccomend or suggest. I'm trying to find my flavor and my taste, maybe fine tuning the specs. Anything?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Jody Jazz HR* Rubber Mouthpiece

That is a rather broad question.  Before it can be answered, you need to tell the forum what horn you play, since recommended mouthpieces for alto vs tenor vs bari would be expected to be very different.  Also, what kink of sound are you getting on the Jody Jazz HR, and what are you looking for, tone or projection-wise, that you are not getting.  It is also helpful if you specify the specific jazz genre you are most interested in.

Then stand back, because you are likely to get a very wide range of answers. 

Reply To Post

2. by DonnaSax
    (4 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Jody Jazz HR* Rubber Mouthpiece

The JodyJazz HR is a great mouthpiece. It gives you a ton of flexibility and efficiency.

In terms of your question, instead of looking into another mouthpiece, do a lot more listening of jazz players and take notes - what do you like about their sound, not like, what aspects of their sound do you want to emulate, etc.

The mouthpiece and reed combo have a huge effect on your sound, but your mental concept of sound will determine what you sound like, regardless of your equipment.

The equipment can make it easier to express yourself or harder, but get the mental concept down first.

Reply To Post