Saxophone Forum

by Musiclover420
(4 posts)
8 years ago

Olds Parisian Ambassador alto sax 1963

Saw one on Craigslist recently for 140$ listed as playing "decent":

"I have a decent playing made in France olds Parisian Ambassador alto sax includes 2 mouthpieces and ligatures. Includes case and box of new vandoren reeds."

Anyways what I am wondering is would this be a decent sax to learn on or should I look for a cheap new sax for not much more money?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Olds Parisian Ambassador alto sax 1963

Can't recommend it.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Tenor/Olds_Parisian_tenor.htm

On a budget, either a Bundy I or a YAS 21/23 are good student horns and there are plenty of them around.  Just be sure the condition is up to snuff. 

Reply To Post

1. by Musiclover420
      (4 posts)

8 years ago

I had a feeling no one would be able to give me good feedback since it is such an old model.

That review is interesting though but it is for the tenor not the alto. It could still apply to what I bought I suppose.

Anyways I went with it, it was hard to pass up at only 120$ with a hardcase 2 mouthpieces and like 5-10 different reeds + a stand strap and cleaning tools.

It is the only sax I have ever played but it sounds great to me and plays fairly easy. I still suck at the mouthing techniques but I have still made it up and down the scale a few times which made me happy.

My childhood dog that was 15-16+ years old was just finally put down recently, my she RIP, but now I can finally practice without making her go hide in a corner...

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

8 years ago

Well, at least  you only paid $120 for it.  If it ever needs an overhaul it could turn out to be more costly than the horn is worth, so keep that in mind.

Reply To Post

1. by Musiclover420
          (4 posts)

8 years ago

I read about that when I was researching used saxophones. I am just learning though and from what I can tell it plays decent and everything seems to work so it should be fine to learn on. If I stick with it and get good I will either look into upgrading it or getting a nicer replacement possibly. Since its from 1963 I will probably keep it though as I love vintage gear.

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
          (644 posts)

8 years ago

You made a good move in that you got a horn you are happy with for 120.00. Any alto you can pick up for under 150 is a steal. Except for newer asian crap. As a saxophone restorer, I understand the value of a parts horn. parts alone makes an old horn such as yours a value to someone.

When you are ready to step up or over to another horn, you can easily unload it on Craigslist along with a listing that would sell it. By then you will know the horn well enough to boost its pros and downtalks its cons.

Or, if you are like me, you will always keep that first horn you ever owned. I have a 1929 Martin stencil alto my father picked up at an auction sale for 12 bucks. I played it all through high school and got interested in refurbishing vintage horns due to that old horn. I still have it, It has been completely refurbished by me, and outplays any Mark VI I have ever played. That is because I have been playing it for 45 years.

Enjoy the music. Its more about the music than the horn. Ornette Coleman played on a plastic sax and it didn't affect him becoming a famous player.

Reply To Post

3. by Musiclover420
          (4 posts)

8 years ago

Restoring vintage horns sounds like a fun hobby! A 1929 Martin horn for 12$, now that sounds like a steal. Passing instruments down like that is awesome too, I have a classical guitar that belonged to my grandfather, it was neglected for years and sat collecting dust and taking some occasional abuse from his son before I asked if I could have it and cleaned it up, plays pretty good for the age and sounds amazing.

Repairing vintage gear is pretty awesome in general, I would love to learn how to work on horns as well as guitars organs/ keyboards and some other electronics.

I agree fully about it being all about the music, I was just really happy to find a sax to learn on for so cheap. It's age was just a nice bonus.

Reply To Post