Saxophone Forum

by joe812119
(18 posts)
19 years ago

flying goose reeds

hello everyone has anyone ever heard of flying goose reeds. i would like to here if anyone has used these reeds or heard of them.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sandia
    (1 post)

8 years ago

Re: flying goose reeds

I had one,once and is not bad, and its had a long life, i was happy with that reed. Is not the best, but good.

Reply To Post

2. by saxman0317
    (53 posts)

19 years ago

i have never heard of them before, where didyou find them?....if theres a website could u send it to me

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Saxon
    (100 posts)

19 years ago

I live in China where flying goose reeds are standard issue. I tried them once. They were marked #3 but they felt like #1 to me! I use #2 - 2.5s Quality control being what it is I get my reeds imported.

Reply To Post

4. by saxxything78
    (14 posts)

19 years ago

This reed came standard with my 1st sop sax (Bandnow). They are made in China, and you won't get much luck finding any USA supplier. I bought a box of Hemke 2.0, and found these to be identical in tone, and a lot easier to get in the USA.

Reply To Post

5. by ovo
    (1 post)

16 years ago

I have 1, it came bundled with my J michael gunmetal sax. Being a beginner on the sax, I don't know much about the various reeds, but I have found that this particular reed feels easier to play with than rico royals (both 2 and a halfs). I have heard the rico royal name being thrown around as a good brand, since my brother plays the clarinet, but at the moment, i'm using the flying goose reed.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

16 years ago

I came across a couple of flying goose reeds in the first chinese sax i looked at..you've got to be kidding...

Reply To Post

1. by JBTSAX
        (364 posts)

16 years ago

The Flying Goose reeds are appropriately named. That is close to the sound they make on your instrument. They are good for cutting up for tooth picks or for starting campfires. No beginning player (or any player for that matter) should be trying to play on these. Get some Rico #2 or #2 1/2 if you are just starting out. John

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

actually, they work pretty good when you cut them into strips and use them to apply contact cement to the smaller key feet..

Reply To Post

2. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

BINGO!

Reply To Post

3. by Mobile Band
          (27 posts)

14 years ago

I used some of them, they are not so bad. They are a little bit shorter than usual, as far as I remember, but its okay. At least for training they can be used. Now I found the forestone reeds, which I like a lot.

Reply To Post

4. by Mobile Band
          (27 posts)

14 years ago

I used some of them, they are not so bad. They are a little bit shorter than usual, as far as I remember, but its okay. At least for training they can be used. Now I found the forestone reeds, which I like a lot. Mobile Marching Band

Reply To Post