Saxophone Forum

by SelmerReference54
(5 posts)
8 years ago

Finding Sax Teacher in Chicago area

Hi All,

I am looking for a Saxophone teacher who is willing to teach me from the basic.
My current teacher teaches me all of the advance stuff, yet I am not comfortable with basic things. I do read music very well, and understand all the theory, because I play other musical instrument. My fingers and embochure are not good yet to do all fancy stuff that he wants me to do.  He used to be a professional Sax player, he has no teaching background though. I had taken a lot of lessons on my other instrument. Therefore, I know that my current Sax teacher cannot teach, he just knows how to play well. But I gave him a try for 1.5 years, and I also like him as a person.

RS 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Finding Sax Teacher in Chicago area

I am not a saxophone teacher, but I have been playing for 45 years and was at one time a college Jazz major, turned banker since I decided I liked to have an income. I still play and refurbish saxophones along with my Bank Career, so not much more time is leftover to be lazy.

Use a Metronome to get the most out of your practice time.

Long Tones, will help build your embature and your hand position. Allowing you to build a nice voice. That sound you hear in your head that you widsh to come out of your horn. I open a practice session with long tones and finish with long tones. Set the metronome somewhere between 60 and 88 and work on that air control.

Key Series. Play by memory every key, scale wise, from top to bottom of the horn. Both major scales and minor scales. Harmonic and Melodic minors. Pick one key first week, ad another key second week. By 12 weeks you are playing every key every day, with all 12 keys under your fingers. This is a very basic description of this exercise, but it is all about even smooth flow.

These simple exercises, done correctly and enthusiastically will change the power you have over the horn, build your ear training, and HELP what you hear in your head flow out of the bell. Play in front of a mirror.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by SelmerReference54
      (5 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Finding Sax Teacher in Chicago area

Thank you for the reply!!! I found a Sax teacher, and had my first lesson with him yesterday. I really like his teaching method, and he is not chatty at all. Therefore, we spent the time efficiently. 

Reply To Post