Saxophone Forum

by mattmontalto
(3 posts)
8 years ago

Octave Key

Quick question... what type of solder do I need to use to solder an octave key back on the neck?

Thank you

Matt M

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Octave Key

If it has simply popped loose and the solder is still there on the horn and on the post, try this first.

I use floral arrangement wire. you can get it at hobby lobby or a craft shop or maybe even the dollar store.

1 a touch of soldering flux on both surfaces popped loose.

2 wire down the post in position

3 use a heat gun to heat up the area. Helps save the lacquer also.

Have a torch ready. Look for a boiling in the flux.

4 immediately and lightly, touch the post solder area with the flame to quickly melt the solder again.

Unless the solder has been removed, you simply need to get is liquified for a brief second to "pop back" into soldered on position.

If you need to use more solder, use a 40% real silver solder. It needs the strength.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by mattmontalto
      (3 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Octave Key

Thank you for the quick response.... Good ideas and I wish I had waited because I would rather have used your light-handed approach... but I did proceed with my own method last night...

I soldered using regular solder that you would sweat pipes with... seems to hold and I pushed that post all the way down into the groove on the octive key itself... leaving a little bit of "joint" solder on either side... (but not enough to impede the spring)... seems to be holding and the action on it seems like normal...

I figure if it breaks again I will clean all that solder off and get some of the 60/40 and a good soldering iron...

Its not the prettiest, but it does seem to be holding and working... thanks again for the advise

Matt M

Reply To Post