Saxophone Forum

by mrd
(137 posts)
19 years ago

Advice on Otto Link Opening

A friend in London uses an Otto Link "9", with a very soft reed, and says I would love that setup, and could definitely play it because of the reed strength even though it is 9. On Tenor, If I were to pick up a "7", using a soft reed, how difficult would it be to push?? Compare this to a 5 opening please.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxshrike
    (3 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Advice on Otto Link Opening

I use a Link 7 with a 2 reed.  If you play with a  Link "5", it's going to be like blowing through cotton.  I did a survey of what "Big Name" players use for mouthpieces on the average.  Here's what I found.

1. Alto Sax - hard rubber mouthpiece with a "6" opening.

2. Tenor Sax - metal mouthpiece (e.g. Link) with a "7" opening.

There are individual differences around this, of course, but the sax players who are thought of as famous usually follow this pattern.  Your friend's setup is outside of their range.

About the "9" Link - that's as far out from the average as the "5" is.  Does your friend in London use a 1.5 reed? 

Hope you find the setup you're looking for.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

7 years ago

Sonny Rollins used a #10 (.130") STM Link with a Rico #2 before embouchure issues made him switch to a Berg-Larson. 

During the mid-1950s Coleman Hawkins was using a Link with a .120" tip.  That would be equivalent to a #9, but it was not available in standard production at that time.  

Dexter Gordon used a #8 (.110") STM Link from 1965 into the early 1980s with LaVoz Mediums, equivalent to Rico 3 to 3.5

Charlie Parker played #5 reeds on his 1940s recordings with his Brilhart.  Sometimes he would stiffen them up with a lighter.  Not sure about the tip opening, but .080" was considered big back then.  

Lester Young used a shaved-down Baritone reed to get the hardness he wanted to go with his Master Link.  Those pieces were commonly made with #2 to #4 (.050" to .070") tips.

Sam Butera used a .110" with a #5 reed.  The guy was a badass.  

You don't need an exceptionally soft reed to go with a larger tip opening.  That impression may arise from playing on mouthpieces with poor detail work on the tips, baffles, and rails, which current production Links tend to have.  Get the detal work right and the mouthpiece will be a lot more responsive and less reed-fussy.  

Harder reeds have advantages in terms of control and intonation.  They also last longer.  Softer reeds allow easier articulation at low dynamic levels.  You can go loud easier with a soft reed, but the harder reed is loud in a "bigger" way that I find more pleasant and expressive.

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

4 years ago

This is a great post. I have been playing on an Otto Lonk 5* with a Lavoz medium hard reed for a number of years. Lets say decades. I have a Hard rubber 5 I often use, but I seem to always fall back onto the 5* metal.

Then recently, I realized Coltrane played on a 6 and Rollins played on a 10.

My sound is sort of a mix of both, but I always try to mix some Coleman Hawkins and Lew Tabackin in there.

I just picked up a real nice Link 9* that has been slightly touched up rails, done by a professional. It seals wonderfully. I was just curious what the monster size would feel like. I used the same med hard reeds I had been using with the 5*.

I assumed I would not be able to play the larger piece. I dont practice hours on end like my idols did. But to my astonishment, I seemed to get the sound I had been looking for. The amount of mouth discomfort/pain was definitely something time and practice will work out. I was just working weak muscles.

Then I switched back to the 5*, and I immediately felt it was holding me back. 

I now am just looking forward to getting home and playing .

Reply To Post

2. by tsax_player
      (76 posts)

19 years ago

I know some of the guys will disagree with this but, I am not a huge fan of dropping in reed strength. Softer reeds are great for beginers but pitch and the reeds lifespan are not very good. I think the 7'' opening on the link would be a great move for you. A 5" is a fairly small chamber (especially newer links they feel very stuffy to me). Try different reed strengths and see what fits you, and what you are looking for in a sound.

Reply To Post

1. by Johnnymusic
        (2 posts)

8 years ago

I have an Otto Link 6* and recently took it to a local repair man and he opened it up to  about a 7...I use a Fibracell #2 reed and I am now getting the easy blowing tone that I want without huffing and puffing...just my humble opinion...

Reply To Post

2. by mrd
        (137 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you for your advice. I currently have a Brilhart Levelaire 5, so the Otto Link Tone Master at 7 made me worried about what I would need to use it. Your time is appreciated.. I wish you well

Reply To Post

1. by syrasax
          (75 posts)

19 years ago

I know the difference between the 7 and the 7* is the size of the opening but in terms of playing . . . what's the diff?

Reply To Post

3. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

19 years ago

I currently use a Link 7 with a 2 1/2 reed-works fine and the life expectancy of the reed is thoroughly acceptable. Not at all difficult to push - that's one of the things I like about the Link. Never tried a 5 opening so I can give you no info there. All comparisons are just someone else's experience and the only one that really counts is your own. Try 'em for yourself and find a combination that suits you (and your horn).

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Either way you go on the opinion scale regarding this touchy topic, you'll get some disputes. However I will give you my two cents worth: When it comes to Otto Links, and their application in Jazz and Blues styles, I feel that going bigger is always better(up to a point). My experience with MODERN Links has shown that they really don't start to open up and project as well until you get to a 7 or larger tip opening. 8 and 8* they really start to shine. Yes I know I'm going to hear from someone that many giants of the Tenor in the past used smaller tip Links, such as Dexter Gordon, Coleman Hawkins etc. Good for them. Now for the rest of us, a larger facing is the way to go IMHO, PROVIDED your embouchure is mature enough to handle it comfortably.

Reply To Post

4. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

19 years ago

Try a 7 with a medium reed. Try a vandoren medium or medium hard. On a 5 try a medium hard, or hard. Best of luck to you. :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

Dukoff D6

I tried the NY Otto Link on my SA80 II. I just didn't like it. It was not at all what I expected. So, I resold it on ebay. I am now looking at a Metal Dukoff D6. ANY ADVICE ON THIS MOUTHPIECE.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Dukoff D6

the dukoff is very bright, and almost tinny. it is like something on a bruce springsteen song. too tinny for jazz.

1. by mrd
              (137 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you

I needed that info. What do you know about the Bari Metals. Not the gold but the silver one.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
              (573 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Thank you

with a bari i like a standard selmer mouthpiece like a C star. i think a bari needs to sound throaty, and metal doesn't do justice to the high notes. i used a bass clarinet mouthpiece on a bari, but the intonation was off. maybe a selmer metal would be cool, but they are expensive. best of luck to you :)

3. by mrd
              (137 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you But I meant:

I mean on a Tenor Horn. A Bari (brand) Metal mouthpiece. www.saxplus.com/bari-metal-mouthpieces.html I am looking however at the silver not the Gold they are showing. I was hoping someone had some opinions on that mouthpiece on the Tenor.

Reply To Post

4. by jamterry
              (573 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Thank you But I meant:

i have heard good reports on that mouthpiece, but i have never played through one. i think you should consider the otto link new york tone master for a real dark and colorful sound. i would definitely stay away from the dukoff. i play the otto link new york tone master, and selmer C star on my mark VI. I use a 7 opening on the otto link. i recommend that you look into this mouthpiece. the C star is really good for quiet stuff. what opening are you considering?

5. by mrd
              (137 posts)

19 years ago

The Berg

The one I was looking at was a 90/0. I know the "0" is bright, but would the 90 opening soften it a little as it is not very open???

Reply To Post

6. by jamterry
              (573 posts)

19 years ago

Re: The Berg

i don't want to steer you wrong, but the harder the reed the bigger the sound. the mouthpiece that you talking about seems like it would be screechy and thin sounding. i think from 5 to 7 is as bright as you need to be. if you can blow a medium hard reed on a 7 you can blow the roof off, and still play mellow. the mouthpiece will not play FOR you. i wish that you would consider an otto link. you will get metal brighness with a nice tone quality. always have a legit mouthpiece too. the bottom line is get what you like. what type of music are you playing?

7. by mrd
              (137 posts)

19 years ago

Music

I like smooth jazz. Even though I play tenor mostly, I think one of the best Altos is Warren Hill. Boney James, Ken Navarro. But, I love playing jazz in the genre of Incognito. It varies. I just never got into the old Coltrane/Hawkins stuff. Just never liked the structure cords or leads. It seemed like practicing scales up and down and up and down.

Reply To Post