Saxophone Forum

by pgilbert
(1 post)
8 years ago

Harwood Artist and Conn Saxes

A relative recently left me 2 saxes: C Melody  Hardwood Artist Professional; Serial Number 127065 and Conn USA Tenor Serial Number L17275. 

Are these worth anything?  I am not a player.  I have been told that the best use of the C Melody is to make it into a lamp.  That can't really be true is it?  Doing that sounds like a travesty.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Harwood Artist and Conn Saxes

I waited a day to see if you would get the normal negative feedback on the C meody, but I see you have not.

The world has changed considerably. in the 1950 to 1990, nobody wanted a C melody. Simply because it was not written into musical arrangements. Not in Big Band Music. Not in popular dance music or High School band arrangements.

Now we are living in a world where music can and does go every direction. Not much interst in high school band, its just not in the school budget.  No top of the line saxophones are made in the USA anymore. World Wide, international interest in vintage American made saxophones is increasing. This does in fact include the C melody. Yours was more than likely made by Buescher, one of the top saxophone producers up till around 1960. Then engraved with the engraving it has and sold by that company.

For whatever it is worth, a competent saxophone restorer can pick up an old C melody for 100 bucks, do their magic on it and get a return in the 1600 range. Time is money and most techs just dont bother working on them, then making them available to the market that is interested in them.

I myself find this niche to be my favorite type of horn to work on. There are so many different variations from a horn that was produced from 1920 to about 1930. Earlier models are just too primitive and their intonation shows it. Later models are just rare.

Here is one honest side of the coin.

Enjoy your horn or your lamp.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Harwood Artist and Conn Saxes

Your other horn, the Conn, is a student model from the late 1960s.  Whether or not it has value depends on its condition.

Reply To Post