Saxophone Forum

by bandmates_think_im_Saxy
(8 posts)
7 years ago

Jazzy Mouthpiece

Hey all, I currently own a Beucher Aristocrat, Tenor Saxophone. I am also in possession of an older OttoLink Super Town Master *7 mouthpiece (metal). I want to switch to a rubber mouthpiece (should I?). What brand should I get (price range is $100-$250)? I've been suggested Vandoren, JodyJazz, and OttoLink. Any thoughts? 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Jazzy Mouthpiece

It would be very helpful to know the serial number of this horn, since the "Aristocrat" model name spans well over 40 years for Buescher horns.  Mouthpiece recommendations would differ for older horns versus newer horns.  Please provide at least the first 3 digits of the model number if you can.
    Concerning switching from metal to hard rubber, the most important issue is which construction fits your embouchure the best.  I own both types, but the HR versions seem to fit my embouchure better.  Many local music stores let you take used mouthpieces out for trial periods.  I recommend that you try HR pieces before laying out $100 - 250.

Reply To Post

1. by bandmates_think_im_Saxy
      (8 posts)

7 years ago

I own an Aristocrat 200. I'll get back to you with the serial #. The story behind this post is that I was doing a performance for my instructor and she noticed that I wasn't getting the same sound that she was getting. So she let me try her spare JodyJazz mouthpiece. It worked so well. The reason my price range is so high is because I bought my current mouthpiece off an idiot for $20. It's worth around $200- $250. One more thing, what's HR? Thank you so much. 

Keegan B.

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

7 years ago

1. The Aristocrat 200 model number is enough information, so the serial number is not needed.  
        2. HR means "hard rubber" mouthpiece.
        3. The Jody Jazz is a good choice, make sure that you get the correct tip opening for the reeds you like to use.  If you like your instructors mouthpiece, then this should be a safe choice.
        4. Another very easy to play tenor mouthpiece in your price range is sold on Ebay by Greg Wier who custom refaces mouthpieces.  (I am not connected in any way to him except as a satisfied customer.)   Here is a link to an 8 tip opening piece of his:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/GW-SLANT-STYLE-8-110-VINTAGE-HR-TENOR-SAX-MOUTHPIECE-GREAT-TONE-PLAYABILITY-/381856581282?hash=item58e86d06a2:g:erEAAOSwB09YIP4C
        If this is the wrong tip size, you can contact him through Ebay and inquire about other tips.  I find his mouthpieces very easy to play up and down the entire register. 

Reply To Post

1. by bandmates_think_im_Saxy
          (8 posts)

7 years ago

Ok, thank you sooooo much!

Keegan B.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

7 years ago

Greg is a good friend of mine here in St. Augustine Florida. He's honest as the days long and I would trust his mouthpieces. Personally I use the Jody Jazz HR 7* on my alto and Jody Jazz DV 7* on my tenor. I am very happy with these pieces. I have always used hard rubber mouthpieces on my alto and metal mouthpieces on my tenor.

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by bandmates_think_im_Saxy
          (8 posts)

7 years ago

Thank You very much Mr. Kelsey

Keegan B.

Reply To Post