Saxophone Forum

by SaxySaxMan
(2 posts)
7 years ago

Please help me identify this! MÉLODY SUPERIOR PARIS-FRANCE

I appologize if im an idiot, but I google searched this thing in every possible way and all I end up with is a bunch of c-melody saxaphones. on the bell of the alto, it says "MÉLODY-SUPERIOR" and under it it says "PARIS-FRANCE". I know I have heard of this brand before, but I just picked this sax up at a pawn shop and it has been sitting there for over 5 years and I think I might have heard of it from the pawn shop. It is a very well made horn and sounds pretty decent. The holes on the sax are rolled rather than just normal. I really want to Identify this sax and the company because I can't find anything about it. The model number on it is 14165. Any help would be appreciated???? I included pictures of the case of that would help. Not sure if it's the original case. There was a saxaphone on eBay that matches the description of this, but I can't tell cause all I can see is really low res pictures because it was taken down. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxySaxMan
    (2 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Please help me identify this! MÉLODY SUPERIOR PARIS-FRANCE

After doing some looking around, this model fit in one of the serial number ranges of a1957 

SML REV.D. I clicked on it and walla, there it was. Every single thing is the same duh as the mechanisms and shapes of everything. the only difference is what it says on the side of the bell. It says melody superiror instead of sml blah blah. All of the 1557 rev d's have the same stuff on the side but this is one based on the serial number and everything else, but it says "melody music". could this be one with a custom engraving, or it was sold to a store called Melody music or something? I would love to know the hostory

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Please help me identify this! MÉLODY SUPERIOR PARIS-FRANCE

Stencils are something that always seems to be a mystery. Sometimes it is simple to tell who a horn was made for. Sometimes it is not and a horn and no real reasoning is available for those trying to figure it out.

Your horn is made by a top line producer, so that is probably all you are going to be able to find out. They wre made to be played, so simply enjoy the horn as an SML stencil.

Reply To Post