Saxophone Forum

by STARKACE
(2 posts)
7 years ago

I was looking for some nfo on the old Elkharts, and found it here, can't understand why I didn't join sooner!!! Thanks!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Newbie

Happy to help. Can you post up a couple photos?

Thanks,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com  

Reply To Post

1. by STARKACE
      (2 posts)

7 years ago

I don't have any. I'm going to look at a tenor today, so if you have any general info about what to look for as far as age, models, manufacturer, etc., I'd appreciate that. Thank you!

Daniel G. Klimoski

Reply To Post

2. by sareng1997
    (2 posts)

7 years ago

Hi,

My knowledge of music and playing sax is very limited, so, I am new beginner, even though I learn to play in my younger years, and only just started back again. I have a elkhart, ind alto sax patent in 1914; I know nothing about this model, or hope someone can tell me about it. tx, Sally

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
      (282 posts)

7 years ago

Hi Sally, your 2nd photo shows the patent number with the capital C below it.  You might have a C melody sax instead of an alto.  Some C melody saxes had alto shaped necks, and some had tenor shaped neckes.  There are photos of a similar horn here on Saxophone.org at http://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/specimen/1533.
      If so, a C melody is a C instument like a piano, so you could cross check and see if middle C on your horn matches a C on a piano to make sure.
      I also see that you have a microtuner at the mouthpiece end of your neck.  This was a feature of many old Conn's (again see the link above).

mijderf 

Reply To Post