What Kind Of Alto Does Ted Nash Play?

Can someone identify this horn? 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

7 years ago

Re: What Kind Of Alto Does Ted Nash Play?

Looks to be a common ribbon and stars engraved Conn director alto model from the 1960s.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

7 years ago

It looks like a Leblanc or a Vito to me.  There was a Vito model alto that was also sold as the Conn 50M Director in the early 1960s.  It has a two piece Bb key unlike the Conn 14M Director.  

Ted is a smart lad who knows how to find a good horn without breaking the bank. 

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

7 years ago

I see what you mean.

Here is an excellent example of a leblanc. The neck is different, but your general description looks correct.

http://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/specimen/1309

Reply To Post

3. by Urwiller
    (1 post)

6 years ago

Okay not sure this is the saxophone but in 1976 Ted bought a Selmer Mark 6 from Don Mensa.  I know this because I also bought one from Don about a month earlier.  I played second chair to Ted in High School.  Not sure if that helps but I know he favors that horn.

Reply To Post

1. by reverendsax
      (2 posts)

6 years ago

I see some photos of him playing what looks like a Mk VI, but the most recent photos (Jan. 13, 2018 concert) show him playing a Vito or Noblet. I don't think it's a Model 35 semi-rationale because the left pinky keys are more Selmer like. Noblet made so many variations of these altos, it is hard to nail them down. My parents bought me a Vito Kenosha V series in '58 when I was 14. I now have one like that; has a brilliant French sound but not like a Selmer. Intonation is difficult, but ok if you play it a lot and don't think about it. I have always liked the fast action of the left side bell keys.

Reply To Post