Saxophone Forum

by historicsaxwhisperer
(644 posts)
7 years ago

Jamie Aebersold still getting the point across

Spent a few hours at as local public library for a free concert featuring Jamie Aebersold.

At 77 he is still getting his point across. What a smooth educator. His point is simple, Shut up, listen ,practice, memorize, forget it because you've made it habit, and have fun. The cherry on top was local young up and coming pianist Dan Karlsberg was called up to play piano with him. Mixed with a seasoned bassist and drummer from Louisville, it was a great two hours spent.

For those of you spending your time searching the internet for some holy grail answer to your playing, your wasting your time.

Just go practice. A message I've taken to heart myself today.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Jamie Aebersold still getting the point across

AMEN to that brother!!

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

7 years ago

His play alongs are helpful but I do wish he would mix the tunes more consistantly. Sometimes the bass is on the left, sometimes on the right, sometimes you can't hear the drummer and the piano is always too loud! The overall volume varies tune to tune. Most of the players he uses are great but it's his produceing that bothers me. If you want background practice tracks there's a program called ireal pro I bought for $13 Dollars that I can mix tunes myself and got 1300 free jazz tunes with the program!

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

7 years ago

It sounds more like a real world situation to me. You never know what a stage situation may throw at you. Is the mix right? Is that viewing person screwing up the room just too drunk and loud or what? Kinda makes you be aware and make on the spot changes. I myself am not so picky. Just happy he is still spreading the work. Practice, get in under your fingers, and quit being such a complacent performer.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

7 years ago

You have no idea what I was talking about!

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
          (644 posts)

7 years ago

Yes, that is truly obvious.

Id rather just go practice.

Reply To Post