Saxophone Forum

by sanshri
(3 posts)
7 years ago

Piano or flute before Saxophone

HI, I am in my late 30s and inclined to learn Saxophone. Somewhere I read that for a person who knows nothing about music, it is better to start with Keyboard then flute and then saxophone. Kindly suggest- should I take that Path or directly to Saxophone? thanks in advance.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Piano or flute before Saxophone

I have never heard of that recommendation.  But I think it comes down to what is your ultimate interest.  This sounds like a good fundamental way to develop overall music skills and understand keys and chord structures.  Sounds like an interesting way to start young musically oriented types.  But if what you really want to do is specifically learn to play sax, you can start right away on sax.  

The piano-flute-sax path sounds like someone who wants to make a career in music and saxophone.  Not that you are old (much younger than me) but if you are just now starting, I think you should just have fun learning the instrument of your choice.

With that said, I do recommend that you get a good teacher and learn the sax with proper instruction.  The good news is that if you find that music is your life, you can still take keyboard and flute lessons in parallel.

Reply To Post

1. by sanshri
      (3 posts)

7 years ago

Thanks a lot  for your time and the response. I always wondered that is it possible to learn an instrument (sax) without understanding the basics of music theory (using keyboard/piano). I did not know the answer, but as your reply mentions, it may be  possible to directly go to Sax for fun learning. I dont know any thing about music so I was in the impression that it was a must to learn keyboard. Also, Sax is a costlier affair than a keyboard so i wanted to have basics for one year then move to Sax.  Finding a Sax teacher is a big issue here in my small town, so I will have my practice, you tube and you guys for starting my journey. Kindly suggest where to beging with?

Rgds

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

7 years ago

Just get a saophone fingering chart and start on saxophone.

Reply To Post

1. by sanshri
      (3 posts)

7 years ago

Thanks a lot. will any downloaded chart  work, or any best suggestion?

Reply To Post

3. by CarrieWilliamson
    (2 posts)

7 years ago

Since you more interesting in learning saxophone, iwould recommend to go for directly into it rather than going thruogh all these procedures. The field of music continues attracting the attention of people of all ages, who often purchase a variety of musical instruments rent from music store for personal use. To get more information here, https://plus.google.com/102642981778688407461, regarding musical instruments rent or repair or buy, go through this Google page of webmusic. You can also go for attending music lesson if interested in.

Reply To Post