Saxophone Forum

by neonlee
(8 posts)
7 years ago

New Budget Mouthpiece

HI, I've been using Yamaha 4C mouthpieces for years, so I decided to change the mouthpiece. I am on a really tight budget. Whats the best budget mouthpiece? Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

7 years ago

Re: New Budget Mouthpiece

What comes to mind are 3 pieces:
    Rico Graftonite
    Clark Fobes Debut
    Macsax Aura

Note that the Macsax Aura is a rapid 3D prototype mouthpiece that is hand finished to final specs.  It may be the lowest priced hand finished mouthpiece on the market.

Good luck with your search! 

Reply To Post

1. by neonlee
      (8 posts)

7 years ago

Hi, thanks for the input man. Can you tell me more on the Rico Graftonite, their playing characteristics & etc. ? TQ

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

7 years ago

Playing characteristics depend on many variables, so I hesitate to comment directly.  I also do not know what type sax (sop, alto, tenor, bari, etc) you are playing.  So I would recommend going to a blog site like Cafe Saxophone or Sax on the Web and search these sites for the mouthpiece you are interested in, and study the comments that are related specifically to the type of horn you play.

Reply To Post

1. by neonlee
          (8 posts)

7 years ago

Opps sorry I left out that info. I'm currently playing an Yamaha YAS 62 mk3 alto sax with a Woodstone reed(2 1/2). I read online that the Rico Graftonite mpc comes in 3 tone chambers, A/B/C/ ? What are the differences between them?

Reply To Post

2. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

7 years ago

Here is a link to a chart for the Graftonite mouthpieces.  A chamber is largest, C is smallest.  Chamber size will affect the tone.  A will be darkest, C will be brightest, B is intermediate.
          http://www.doctorsax.biz/musical%20instruments/mouthpieces/graftonite.htm

Note all of the Graftonite tip openings are larger than the opening on your 4C.  This may mean that you should move to a softer read, but you will have to determine that yourself. 

Reply To Post

3. by neonlee
          (8 posts)

7 years ago

Thanks. Just got the Rico Graftonite B5. 

Reply To Post