Saxophone Forum

by npgraphicdesign
(4 posts)
7 years ago

Questions about a 1937 Holton 213 Revelation tenor saxophone

I am looking at a used (obviosuly ;) ) 1937 Holton 213 Revelation tenor saxophone right now. Actually looking at the instrument on Monday. I was wondering what I should look for specifically, in terms of potential issues, etc. Also, it does not have a mouthpiece, so I was wondering if anyone would have a recommendation for a good mouthpiece for this horn. 

Many thanks!! 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Questions about a 1937 Holton 213 Revelation tenor saxophone

There is good information available on this forum.  At the top of the page click "resources", and then select "Saxophone buyers guide".  Scroll down (way down) to the section called " How Can I Tell What Condition a Sax is in?"  This should be a good starting guide.

Mouthpiece?  Pretty tough to recommend, since mouthpiece preferences are very personal.  For a vintage instrument like this avoid any small chamber mouthpieces.  Maybe try a Clark Fobes Debut tenor mouthpiece for a start, and a 2.5 to 3 strength reed.

Good luck and have fun! 

Reply To Post

1. by npgraphicdesign
      (4 posts)

7 years ago

Thanks mijderf! Just starting to browse around the forums and seeing all the resources. Appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. :)

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

7 years ago

After thinking about this a bit, if you have never played, you need to be careful about buying a vintage sax.  Many vintage saxes will need some repair work like fixing leaks in the pads and/or regulating the key work.  If you are new to this area, you may not be in a good position to judge this.  It is entirely possible to get a good starting price on a vintage horn, and then be facing $500 or more in repair work to get it to play properly.  And the trick is (being new) you may not realize that the work is needed, and then get frustrated and quit because the horn is difficult to play.
        I recommend starting by going to a few reputable sites that sell horns that are in proper repair.  You will pay a little more initially, but you will get a good horn to learn on.

This website, Saxquest, is a good source.  I would recommend purchasing a student level horn until you know if you like the saxophone, and know what you really want, and then trade up when you have more experience.  Another very reputable source is http://www.2ndending.com/saxes.html.  Contact these people and tell them where you are and what you want.

Buying a vintage horn from individual sellers or on the internet can be a crap shoot, even for those of us with 40+ years of saxophone experience.

Again, good luck! 

Reply To Post

1. by npgraphicdesign
          (4 posts)

7 years ago

Thanks for the input and the wisdom. That's awlays good to hear. 

The horn is being sold for $600, sans mouthpiece. This is the original description, for what it's worth.

"Rare old tenor. Plays on old pads but really needs the works to bring out the best. If you are into old Holtons, this is a great candidate for a proper restoration. That being said, I can sub down to the low Bb with ease. 

Original lacquer is around 85%. Quite a nice sound, intonation is quite good with my Otto Link and Brilhart. Was planning on getting it re-padded but have too many projects going on. 

What's it sound like? Warmer than my 10M, not as warm as my favorite tenor, a 30's Buescher Aristocrat. Has more 'edge' to it than either my 10M or Aristocrat, kind of like an old King in that sense. Pads have no resonators on them and it has plenty of bite, especially with my Brilhart. 

Reply To Post

2. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

7 years ago

The problem I see is that $600 for a Holton tenor that plays well and needs no work is a good price, but if I read through the lines, this horn needs a new pad job, resonators (yes you should have them) and probably some key regulation.  So you are looking at probably another $700+.  Then you have $1300 in a Holton, and you can never get that money back out of it.  It just isn't worth that much.

You would be better served to buy an old Buescher Aristocrat (pre 1960 model) or a Martin of the same vintage.  Right now Martins appear to be undervalued, and they play great.  And again if you are not real familiar with saxophones, go find one that has been put into playing condition like at the sources I mentioned in my last response. 

As a matter of fact I see a 1970 era Vito (Yamaha YTS-21) Tenor sax at http://www.2ndending.com/saxes.html now that looks like a good player, for a similar price as the Holton you are considering.

Reply To Post