Saxophone Forum

by kokonutmonkey916
(3 posts)
7 years ago

Fidelity America's Finest? Identification Quest

I have aquired a, seemingly, antique saxaphone but have been unable to find out very much about it. I'm especially interested in knowing the manufacturer and year made but any information at all would be helpful. I bought it with the intent to modify into an artwork but may choose not to if it turns out to be special in some way.

Serial Number (under thumb rest) R20753

There is a large decorative engraving on the bell with the words...

FIDELITY
AMERICA'S FINEST
MADE IN U.S.A.

I can't say for sure but i believe it is an Alto. It's about 2' tall and has a straight neck. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Fidelity America's Finest? Identification Quest

This is the only reference that I found for Fidelity saxophones:

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/archive/index.php/t-131113.html

The horn in this article was thought to be made by Amati (an Amati stencil), so you might look at some Amati horns and see if they look similar.

Good luck! 

Reply To Post

1. by kokonutmonkey916
      (3 posts)

7 years ago

Thanks for the info. I can't be sure, but upon further investigation, I now believe, by mechanical and manufacturing comparison, that I have a 1920's Buescher True Tone Alto. Possible copy. The serial number and horn stencil remain a mystery however.   

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

7 years ago

I don't know about Buescher.  I have never seen a True Tone that did not have split bell keys, one on left and one on right side of bell.  Your photo shows both bell keys on left.  A change like this would require new tooling, so it is probably not based on a True Tone.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
        (842 posts)

7 years ago

From what I can see it looks most similar to a mid-to-late 1930s Buescher Aristocrat.  You could check it against examples in the museum section of this site and at saxpics.com.  That same basic design was used for Buescher's "Elkhart" student model from the late 1930s to 1959, so yours could easily be a stencil-branded Elkhart model horn.  If you want to do an art project with such a horn, you need not feel guilty about trashing some great piece of saxophone history.

Reply To Post

2. by badenia
      (10 posts)

7 years ago

Hi,

A Little late to the party, but this is actually a stencil of a Windsor model sax, from the Elkhart Band Instrument Co subsidiary of Buescher.

I am still working on a serial system for Windsor, but based on what I have to date, this alto likely vintages to 1942.

The Windsor line was launched by Elkhart in 1937 and ended in 1942. However, it looks to have been re-introduced around 1959/60.

These were sold by Barth & Feinberg of New York. The trademark registraion indicates a 1939 launch for the brand.

Reply To Post