Saxophone Forum

by Jolly John
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Buescher Alto from 1912

FA Buescher alto American Triumph made by ART Musical Inst Elkhart Ser. No. 14004 Can anyone share some light on this instrument as to value or quality?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by shibbysax
    (10 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Buescher Alto from 1912

hey bro, yea i have a buescher alto from 1914 and i have no idea wut they are worth. I know that any horn made in that time is a great horn and that most all professional saxophone players that have seen it say its a great horn. But as for worth idk.

Reply To Post

2. by badenia
    (10 posts)

7 years ago

While this post is quite old, new information may shed some light.

ART Musical Instrument Co was started by FA Buescher in 1932. This company only made brass instruments. This was his second comapny and formed after his "retirement" from the company that he founded back in 1904.

In 1934 Harry Pedler Sr joined Buescher in this venture. Harry Pedler had sold the company that made clarinets Harry Pedler & Co to Martin band Instruments in 1930.

In 1935 ART MIC began using the trade name American Triumph on their instruments.

In 1937 Buescher died and the company was renamed and incorprated as Harry Pedler & Sons.

In 1958 the company was sold to H & S Selmer USA.

Based on the serial number, this particular sax should actually be an Elkhart Band Instrument Co, subsidiary of Buescher stencil, if it has Buescher group provenance. Pictures would likely confirm this. The serial number would be mid 1930's based on a current understanding of the Elkhart BIC serials and then supported by the use of the American Triumph trade name.

Interestingly enough without pictures, this could be an Indiana Band Instrument Co, subsidiary of Martin stencil. The serial number would also date to the mid 1930's.

The American Triumph brand has also been seen as Pan American and Cavalier stencils. 

Reply To Post

1. by badenia
      (10 posts)

7 years ago

Just looking through my files: This is more likely an Indian Band Instrument Co stencil. Over the years since this post there have been several saxes with similar serial numbers on numerous sites.

Likely vintage 1935 to 1937.

Reply To Post