Saxophone Forum

by Nele
(6 posts)
18 years ago

Paul Harvey

I'm playing Paul Harvey's concertino for tenor saxophone but I can't find any information on the piece ot the composer. I would particularly like to know the date of publication/ composition. Any ideas? Thanks Nele

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Angel_Saxo
    (1 post)

18 years ago

Re: Paul Harvey

Consult "150 Years of Saxophone Music" by Jean-Marie Londeix, available at www.aurec.com and Paul Harvey's book "The Saxophone" available at www.amazon.com There is an old LP recording of Francois Daneels performing this on soprano with orchestra. LP is called "Saxophone en Concert". Angel

Reply To Post

1. by Nele
      (6 posts)

18 years ago

Is it the concertino for tenor played on soprano or the one for soprano, because I believe Paul Harvey wrote a different concertino for each member of saxophone quartet. I will try to get hold of those books. Thanks Nele

Reply To Post

2. by socsax
    (1 post)

17 years ago

Nele We have the same problem! did you find anything on the 'net that was of any benefit? If you did, could you pplease advise ASAP - my son has a major examination in which he is playing that piece on October 7th and we are desperate for info! Socsax

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

17 years ago

And now you know....The Rest of the Story.... Sory...I just had to do it! Good Day!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by Keith M. Zimmerman
    (1 post)

14 years ago

I have known Paul for quite a few years and have played his concertino for soprand orchestra numerous times. This piece and the tenor one (also a bari concertino and one for satb quartet with orchestra) were all written and premiered at the 1976 World Saxophone Congress in London. Paul is a clarinetist with a major British Orchestra and also a fine sax player and teacher. He founded the London Saxophone Quartet years ago and wrote a number of pieces for quartet. He was born in 1935. The concertinos were all thought of as rounding things out as a match for the Ibert Concertino da Camera for alto. They all use the same chamber orchestra. I think the tenor one was written with Jim Houlik in mind. The soprano one was for our mutual friend Paul Brodie. AT the '76 congress Paul put together a large saxophone orchestra using our Illinois Saxophone Quintet and the Belgian Octet as the nucleus. About 150 of us recorded two tunes Paul had arranged as a charity recording. Keith M. Zimmerman, saxophone professor,Bradley University and Illinois Wesleyan University.

Reply To Post

1. by supergirlrhea
      (1 post)

9 years ago

Hello. I am in the process of writing some programme notes on Paul Harvey's concertino for soprano sax and was struggling with finding enough information on the piece and its content, its context and the composer etc. I was wondering whether you would be able to help me?
      many thanks in anticipation of your help.   

Reply To Post