Saxophone Forum

by Yardbird8403
(7 posts)
18 years ago

Carl Anton Wirth

I'm looking for this peice called Jephthah By Carl Anton Wirth, but I can't seem to find it anywhere over the internet and the local music store can't find it either. Its for Alto sax and soprano. Can anyone give me a lead?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by ricamart
    (1 post)

18 years ago

Re: Carl Anton Wirth

A wonderful peice, you might try contacting Dr. Lawrence Gwozdz from the University of Southern Mississippi.

Reply To Post

2. by Quartertone
    (7 posts)

18 years ago

www.classicsax.com Look in the "mixed ensembles" category.

Reply To Post

3. by mwirth
    (2 posts)

18 years ago

Hi there ... I can get you copies of Jepthah if you haven't yet obtained a copy from Lawrence Gwozdz (I just came across your post inadvertently while doing a Google search). I'm his daughter, and have all of his music ... saxophone and non-saxophone pieces ... much of it unpublished. I'm hoping to independently publish a collection of his saxophone works next year if possible ... simply to get it all out there and played. So many lovely pieces ... most of them as yet unrecorded. Please let me know if you're still interested ...

Reply To Post

1. by sylviab
      (1 post)

18 years ago

This is a message for Mr. Wirth's daughter. I strongly encourage you to publish his music. I have played the saxophone pieces many many times, and they are among the most beautiful written. I, too came to this site "accidentally".

Reply To Post

1. by mwirth
        (2 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement, Sylvia. I know Bill Trimble (an amazing saxophonist and very close friend of my fathers) is hoping to make some of his as yet unpublished saxophone pieces available on the web shortly. Bill also recently completed a lovely CD of some of my father's pieces for saxophone and piano, with the pianist Brenda Tom. I'm hoping his site will be somewhere that those interested can obtain his previously unrecorded pieces, as well as find out where previously published / often performed pieces like Jepthah, Idlewood Concerto, Beyond These Hills, etc. can be obtained -- even though Bill himself doesn't have publishing rights to those works. Clarinetist Mark Sowlakis also recently recorded several of my father's works on a CD called "Marking Time" www.markosmusic.com/MARK2_Discography.html I'll post again when I know Bill's site is completed.

Reply To Post

1. by saxandbassplayer
          (42 posts)

15 years ago

Ms. Wirth, I'm a saxophone student out in North Dakota, and I've more recently come across some of your fathers works, and I've been really interested in some of them. Especially the saxophone concerto, "Idlewood". I was wondering if maybe we could discuss it sometime? Just pop me an e-mail over this, or reply, or anything. Best Regards, - Paul Nason

Reply To Post

2. by jimlombard
          (1 post)

13 years ago

Hello mwirth....I am researching the history of the Sonora Bach Festival, and I understand that the music gatherings at your father's cabin in Twain Harte in the early 70's is considered the beginning. If you have any information about these gatherings and who were the regulars....that would be a tremendous help to me. Thank you, Jim Lombard, publicity chair 2011 Sonora Bach Festival.

Reply To Post

3. by stephlegg
          (1 post)

12 years ago

Hi,

I know that the post I am replying to is 6 years old, however I am looking for a copy of Beyond These Hills for sax and piano. I really love the piece and think it will be a beautiful addition to my repertoire. I wondered if you could tell me where I might find the sheet music?

Thank you

Stephanie  

Reply To Post

4. by Saxquest
          (420 posts)

12 years ago

Look up a company in St. Louis called MR Music. They can get anything. Best of Luck!!

Cheers,

Mark Overton
               www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

2. by edecamp
        (2 posts)

17 years ago

Ms. Wirth, Dear Ms. Wirth, My name is Elise DeCamp, and I am currently a PhD student in the Anthropology Department at Indiana University in Bloomington. My graduate course F731 taught by Prof. Jason Jackson on Curatorship has involved completing research with two other classmates on a collection of Javanese instruments which your father, Carl Anton Wirth, sold to what is now (since 1980) the Mathers Museum in 1966. I found your e-mail address through your participation in the Saxquest discussion forum, and I wondered if you would be willing to help me out with some general biographical details of his life along with a few questions. This information is for the class research project and will not be published. I will only include in this project as much as you feel comfortable sharing. Here are the basic questions I compiled: 1.) Where and on what date was Mr. Wirth born? Where did he grow up? 2.) Any information on his education, professional career, compositions, and non-musical interests? Any professional contacts/students he had who could provide extra biographical data? 3.) When did he gain an interest in Indonesian music? What inspired this interest? 4.) Where and for how long did he stay in Indonesia? Did he relate much to you or in some other written form about his work in West Java? What can you tell me of his relationships with the people there and what he drew from the experience? Did he return to Java at a later date? If you know of any other pertinent information on the influence Indonesian music has had on his compositions, I would welcome your input. My group project is due in three weeks, so if you could get this information to me within the coming week or so, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for you time. Sincerely, Elise DeCamp

Reply To Post

3. by edecamp
        (2 posts)

17 years ago

I should probably add that I copied this directly from an e-mail I sent to the address you provided, but was unable to reach you via that e-mail. If you would prefer replying to me by e-mail, it is [email protected]. Thanks again for any help you can provide with my project.

Reply To Post

2. by jiminkazoo
      (1 post)

17 years ago

Hi, My mother was Charlotte and the day after her funeral I was flown back to Michigan to live with my father. I remember Idlewood on the Lake very well and visiting Sigurd Rasher at his home for a couple of weeks near the Adirondack Mountains. I've always been interested in what happened to the children.....Mark, Jon, Barbara, and Carol. Please help me fill in the gaps. Thanks, James Dumdei

Reply To Post