Saxophone Forum

by notlegit
(11 posts)
18 years ago

Legere reed lifespan

Question for you guys. I purchased a legere reed about a month ago right here on Saxquest. I love the reed. As a beginner it is good to have something that is consistant. I like the sound as well. As I was cleaning the thing the over the weekend, I noticed some fine cracks in the tip. This reed has maybe 15-20 hours of play time on it. Is this unusual to have this happen with such a short amount of time on the reed? I was expecting months of play time on it. Please let me know the experiences that you have had. Thanks Craig

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mgictwnger
    (46 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Legere reed lifespan

I switched to Legere signature from Fibracell a few months back, since I have noticed a marked decline in the quality of Fibracells. The Legeres are superior in every way: more consistent over the entire range of the horn and a brighter more "cane like" sound.

I see nothing at the tips like you describe. I clean them with a soft dish "scrubbie", drawing it from the body of the reed down past the tip, NEVER against the tip. That might be the cause of your problem. 

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Legere reed lifespan

I only use cane reeds! No plastic reed sounds right to me. I guess, for a young player, cane is a lot cheaper in the long run? Plastic will certainly outlast cane. The plastic reeds I've tried didn't get played for 15 or 20 hours. Instead, played more like only 5 or 6 minutes. My ears wore out long before the reed? Anyway, good luck on the saxophone and Happy New Year!

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM