Saxophone Forum

by Jastemo
(1 post)
18 years ago

Charlie Parker's Sax?

First of all let me start by saying; I know absolutely nothing about saxophones. I am helping a friend sell a few things. Her husband passed away a couple of years ago and she is just now going through a lot of his stuff he had in storage. One of the things she found was 14 saxophones. This was very surprising to her since, while her husband was a big jazz fan, he did not play. At any rate, since I sell on Ebay occasionally she asked if I would sell them for her. Most of the sax's are Buescher, a couple Yamaha's, a couple SML, a Wurlitzer and at least one Conn, maybe two. The reason that I'm not sure is because one is in a "C.G. Conn Ltd" case but the sax is engraved on the front of the bell; "Manufactured for J. H. Troup Music-House Harrisburg Lancaster PA" It's a straight saxophone, silver in color, about 25-3/45" long (from the bell to the end of the cork,and the serial number 58660. Under the serial number the letters "LP" (low pitch?) are stamped. Is this a Conn sax that they black labeled for J. H. Troup Music-House? The second question is about another Buescher. It's also straight, silver in color but only 22" long. The serial number is 105764. The question is more about the case than the sax. Inside the lid of the case is a metal tag that reads "Chas. Parker's Band House, Houston, Texas" Now I don't know saxophones but I do know enough about jazz to know who Charlie Parker was. I've searched the net (it's how I found this site) but I haven't found any connection between Charlie Parker and Houston, Texas. Also, the initials "R.L.M" and "R.M." are punched (like dot-matrix" into the center latch of the case. Does the tag inside the lid mean anything? I appreciate any input on either question. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by selmerfan
    (67 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Charlie Parker's Sax?

Sorry, can't help you, but you might find more extensive help at www.saxontheweb.net forum. There are many very helpful people over there. selmerfan

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Both of these straight saxophones are soprano saxophones. I would guess that both of them are made by Buescher. Most likely they are True Tone models. The longer model is a typical Bb soprano. The shorter sax is a C soprano. Charlie Parker played mostly alto saxophone. Charlie was famous for playing a Conn 6M, though he frequently played whatever horn was available to him at the time; rather it be a Conn, King, Selmer, or even a Grafton plastic saxophone. Parker grew up in Kansas City, MO where he began to play with local jazz bands before moving to New York where he met Dizzy Gillespie and aquired his fame. A short time later, he met pianist Jay McShann, and began to tour the Chicago area as well as New York.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by selmerfan
        (67 posts)

18 years ago

connsaxman_jim is one of those people I was talking about....:D selmerfan

Reply To Post

2. by saxylady07
        (2 posts)

18 years ago

Connsaxman! I've got a Silver plated Paris Selmar S/N 10275 making it probably a 1929 horn. It also has a S/N under the low D key-- 3365N. What's up with the second S/N? There's no model engraved, but as far as I can tell it has the same keying and engravings as an early Super Selmer Series. Any thoughts on the second S/N and what kind of horn I have?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Hi saxylady, The Selmer saxophone that you describe is probably a Model 26 or possibly an early Cigar Cutter model which was introduced for 1930. The Radio Improved lasted from 1934-1935, The Balanced Action did not debute until 1936, and the Super Balanced Action did not debute until 1948. Most Selmers sold in the US at this time were manufactured by CG Conn, and a few were made by Buescher. The Selmer Manhattan horns were made by Martin. Some of the earliest French Selmers sold in the US were the Balanced Action horns. The Selmer Balanced Action horns are very similar to the Buffet Dynaction horns on which Selmer based their design. As for the second serial number, I really don't have an absolute answer, but more of an assumption based on what I have learned about the US Selmer company of that time. Selmer had contracted both Conn and Buescher to build their horns. I have seen other horns with a second serial number as well. I think that along with a Selmer serial number, many of these horns had a manufacturer's number or a LOT number to identify the manufacturer and the sequence of that particular horn within a certain series built by the same manufacturer. That's just my theory, although I have found very little information to support it. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

18 years ago

There is still a music store named Parkers Music in Houston. It has nothing to do with Charlie Parker........Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

4. by ps
        (35 posts)

18 years ago

Chances are, this horn was made by Martin. J.H. Troup was the grandfather of Bobby Troup, who wrote Route 66 (among others). There is one of these sopranos for sale on ebay right now, that's where I found this info.

Reply To Post