Saxophone Forum

by ltajs92
(1 post)
18 years ago

New Band Mom

My son is going into band this summer, he is in 5th grade. He as decided to play saxophone. I am going into this blinded . I did purchase a Buescher Aristocrat 632XXX for $ 150.00. I did have the band instructor look at it. He said it was in pretty good shape, it doesn't need pads at this time and the lacquer is all good and it is scratched but he said that wasn't to bad. My Question is a $150. 00 ok. I have seen them on eBay for less . Teresa

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New Band Mom

It would be hard for a band director to only look at a horn and tell if it needs pads or not. I would take the horn to a repair shop and have a repair man run a light through it and make sure it's not leaking. There is nothing more discouraging for a beginning player than to have a horn that's not in good playing condition. The Buescher Aristocrat is an OK beginners horn. It is worth the $150.00 you spent on it. If in good playing condition, it should take him into High School. Good luck .........Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New Band Mom

I agree, you did not pay too much. The problem with Ebay is you can't play the horn before you buy, and it's hard to tell what problems you might end up with, so the horns sell for less on Ebay. A good technician is good advice as well. Did the band instructor play the horn when he looked at it? (I realize "looked at" can mean different things...) The technician can also check the response of the keys, and see if other adjustments need to be made to make sure the horn is in its best playing condition. Also, be sure to impress upon your son that a saxophone is not a toy, it is not indestructable, and it is not easily replaced. Good new saxophones are several thousand dollars at a minimum. Even some vintage horns sell for several thousand. Even if he does upgrade to an even better horn when he reaches highschool or college, he may want to keep the Buescher for outside use, such as marching band, or things like pep band, where balls can come flying into the band! I believe many vintage horns are actually worth more than anyone pays for them.

Reply To Post