Saxophone Forum

by saxophone2001
(31 posts)
18 years ago

Advanced High School sax player on Ref 54, looking for jazz mouthpiece options.

Hey everyone. I was just wondering, I have been playing sax now for 8 years, and I just upgraded majorly from a Bundy II Tenor to a Reference 54. I have a standard S80 mouthpiece, and I'm finding that there may be the option of trying other mouthpieces for a better sound. I play Big Band jazz, Funk, Swing, a bit of rock, and I think I'd need a different mouthpiece for the classical chamber orchestra I'm in to blend with the group better. Any suggestions as to what to try out?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by landrusax
    (44 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Advanced High School sax player on Ref 54, looking for jazz mouthpiece options.

Hello, how much do you have to spend? There are many different mouthpieces that are great, but your budget makes a big difference in what you can get. The sound that you are going for also is very important. Who are the players you listen to that have tones that you like? Let us know your budget and your influences so we can help out. Saxquest has a wonderfull selection of vintage mouthpieces that would be a great investment. You can always get your money back when you buy vintage equipment-and it tends to be much better quality than most but not all modern equipment.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophone2001
      (31 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Advanced High School sax player on Ref 54, looking for jazz mouthpiece options.

Well, to start, I've heard about the Otto link 6 mouthpiece, how much do those range, and are they good for big band and soloist jazz? I am a soloist, and I like a bit of distortion in my sound, but not over bearing.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophone2001
        (31 posts)

18 years ago

As well, I'd like a mouthpiece that screams and is bright, as well, I'd like one that makes Altissimo easy. I'm getting into the altissimo, playing on a 3 1/2 Rico Royal reed, and I was wondering if my mouthpiece was a problem as well?

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Have you tried an RPC yet?

Reply To Post AIM

2. by saxophone2001
          (31 posts)

18 years ago

What's an RPC?

Reply To Post

3. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

www.saxmpc.com Ron puts a lot of time making a mouthpiece, and it takes awhile to get, but its well worth it...

Reply To Post AIM

4. by JaZzer
          (25 posts)

18 years ago

Otto links are good mouthpieces, don't limit yourself to a 6 though. Try different facings until one works for you. Perhaps trying different reeds can help too, like Alexanders, or Vandoren ZZ's. As for altissimo, work on overtones, lots and lots of overtones. Then do long tones on the overtones, making sure they are in tune. When you can jump around from partial to partial in the same overtone, your tone, sound and range would have increased dramatically. Since you're a tenor player, I'd say check out some metal mouthpieces. Always play test and compare before you buy, it's your sound! Happy Hunting.

Reply To Post