Saxophone Forum

by onionsmag
(3 posts)
18 years ago

Dark Serie III?

Hello, I'm looking into buying a tenor sax, but I'm looking for one with a darker sound, kind of "Getz-esque". The number of saxes in my area (surprisingly) are limited, but I've been looking at this incredible Selmer Serie III. It plays every note without effort and produces somewhat of a dark sound. Are there any other saxes that you might reccommend?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dark Eyes
    (138 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Dark Serie III?

Getz did have a particularly dark horn but the reason you have your "Getz-esque" sound is because Getz was the master of a technique called subtone. He played, often, very soft and using his subtone gave it that smooth dark feel. However, I do not want to deter you in your quest for a great sax. Getz used a Mark VI Tenor(I think exclusively). A saxophone that has more of the spirit of the Mark VI would be the Reference Tenors also made by Selmer. They have much of the same tone of the old five digit VI's but I urge you to try it out before you decide anything. If anything go to your local music store and try the Series III and the Reference side by side. Good luck in finding your "Getz-esque" sound. Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

1. by saxplaya81
      (110 posts)

18 years ago

I have a reference 54 in the matte finish and its pretty dark, but still very powerful, now if you want really really dark, go with the keilwerth sx90r black nickel, those are really dark, the action on them is awesome and they play with ease.

Reply To Post

1. by Dark Eyes
        (138 posts)

18 years ago

Saxplaya81, do you think that the Kielworth might be a little bit too dark for the sound that onionsmag is looking for. I mean, Getz had a dark sound but it wasn't dark as the dungeons was it. Just a thought. By the way onionsmag, there is a site that I like a lot that has effects upon other things. One among them is the subtone and how to do it(I'm assuming you don't know how-correct me if I'm wrong). The site is www.petethomas.co.uk It has sound bites that also feature these different effects. You might have to do a little searching but they're there. Its a great tutorial site. Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post