Saxophone Forum

by Mactenor
(102 posts)
18 years ago

Mark Vl Mania

Is the entire sax world suffering from Mark Vl Mania? It seems like there is a stampede for 5 digit Mark Vl`s, ignoring some of the greatest vintage american horns that are available. Just look at the vintage tenor section of Saxquest, there is an almost mint Buescher Big B Aristocrat for an excellent price and it has been there quite a while. This is a GREAT HORN, if you ever play one you will love the sound. A great Mark Vl may be in a class by itself, but you must look at these instruments on a horn by horn basis, there are some Mark Vl`s that "just don`t make it". I had one and my Ref 36 blew it away, they`re not all great horns, I traded mine for an almost mint King Super 20 SilversonicTenor a killer horn. I am not trying to offend Selmer die hards, because most of you havr great horns, I am just trying to add perspective. Just remember, great vintage American horns were built with pride by some of the finest craftsman in the world. PS On the same sax page, there is a beautiful TH&C that is being ignored in favor of $9000 Mark Vl`s Best. Regards Mactenor

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Mark Vl Mania

I had to start out on an old Buescher, rent a Conn 16M, and borrow a Conn 14M. When I started to play out, I wanted brand new horns. I got the best new horns that were available in 1966. I didn't know what a MK VI was. I wanted a Selmer because of the lacquer, right side bell keys, and my teacher said that it was top of the line. The first night I had the horns home I came downstairs in the night to look at them. They were new and the cases smelled good. I think people buy what they want.That's what I did. :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by odedtzur
    (19 posts)

18 years ago

i don't think any surious sax player really thinks selmer is the only one who made fine horns. of course there are many great horns out there from different manufacturers. the problem is, as it is always with monopoly, they give you the feeling that if you buy selmer you are in good company. you are "normal". everybody buys it. and human beings usually want to be normal, sadly as it is. think about it - out of the people who buy horns in general, how many truely have the abilty to CHOOSE a horn? now let me try to explain: going to a store and playing 5 horns, and making a decision which one is best for you, is not simple AT ALL. think how sensibal and aware and in control you must be to really feel each horn, are you able to do so considering you are already used to a certain horn, playing a certain mouthpiece, reed...? i'm sure many people can feel confused while searching for a horn especialy when it's a vintage, so if everybody buys selmer it feels much safer than really listening to your instinct. in big cities in america you will be able to find a king or a buescher. in israel, for example, you won't. i can count on the fingers in my body the people who are interested in a vintage horn. ok, maybe on my fingers plus yours. but that's not enough to create a market here. so if someone owns a vintage it's usually a vi, and then his student knows about this horn and tells his friend there is such a horn etc... no one is even aware of the fact that THERE ARE fine american horns. so a lot of players in the world don't have the awarness you are talking about, let alone the opportunity to purchuse a vintage horn other than a vi.

Reply To Post

1. by Mactenor
      (102 posts)

18 years ago

I am specifically referring to Mark Vl, not Selmer in general, the Mark Vl is a vintage horn. The new Ref series Selmers can be extremely fine horns, wihen setup by a proffessional tech.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

Any horn needs to be set up to be a player's horn. My alto and tenor were brand new when I bought them. They weren't vintage horns. Should I destroy them, or just feel stupid because they are MK VI's

1. by Mactenor
          (102 posts)

18 years ago

Of course not, I am referring to todays marketplace.

Reply To Post

2. by odedtzur
        (19 posts)

18 years ago

sorry, i don't think i got your point here... but if i did, my answer is: part of the reason people choose the vi over other vintages is the fact it is the most known vintage. moreover, selmer is the most known manufacturer for modern saxs as well, so people choose reference over Borgani or Canonball or Yanigasawa as automatically as they choose the vi over the king. did i get your point then?

Reply To Post

1. by odedtzur
          (19 posts)

18 years ago

(my last massage was a response to mactenor's last post)

Reply To Post

2. by saxplaya81
          (110 posts)

18 years ago

Well remember like you said mark vi's are very popular, and remember the youngest mark six is over thirty years old which is a lot of time for one of the most popular and most played horns to get used and over used. The only way to really get an accurate idea of the mark vi quality is to play one in new condition. I had the privilage of playing a mark vi from around 1970 that an old man had kept in his closet, and probably never took out, the pads and lacquer where perfect and that horn is the best playing horn i have ever played over the course of the last 2 decades and i have played a lot of horns but never one like that. It's somewhat ufair to compare a 30-50 year old horn thats probably never been repadded or had a major overhaul on it to one that just came off the assembly line. And yeah ive played numerous mark vi's and not one of them played like the other and not all of them had an over haul on them. If you ever get the chance to play a mint or near mint mark vi i bet youll change your mind.

Reply To Post

3. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

Vintage horns need to be played by vintage guys. Kids beware! I'm old enough to have bought several Mark Vl's new. There are no better horns for me, but if I was a young man I'd find something current that would last me a lifetime. These 5 digit Mark Vls that we are playing may not physically last another 30 years...........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

4. by saxplaya81
          (110 posts)

18 years ago

Theres no age requirement when owning a horn, my friend bought his mark vi when we were still in high school and if i could have afforded it then i would have too, some people would rather have the vintage sound rather than contemporary, not only that but selmer kept making mark vi long after the 5 digits remember, and any horn properly maintained and service will last a long time, my repair guy has a 2x,xxx balanced action and its in awesome condition all it needs is a repad.

Reply To Post

5. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

Mark Vls won't last forever. They wear out like people. That vintage sound is produced more by the player than the horn. A horn will last a long time if properly maintained but not forever. Vintage horns for vintage guys.....Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

6. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

Mark Vl's have been part of my life since I bought my first new one in 1960. At the time I was a Navy Musician and the price (around $500)was a lot for a sailor to come up with. I now work as a professional musician on two different Mark Vl's. Because of the hobby players and young kids with rich parents driving the prices up, if one of my horns were stolen, I couldn't afford to replace it. Mark Vl's are very special to me and I don't think just anybody with the money should own one. They are great horns for older guys like me, but what's wrong with a kid getting a horn from his own generation? They now make lots of horns that are probably just as good as the old Mark Vl and maybe even better. Playing a vintage horn is not going to make you sound like the vintage guys. Get a life........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

7. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Any saxophone that needs a repad is not in awesome condition. You kids should look at a REF 54. I played one and it is every bit as good as my MK VI's Terry

8. by odedtzur
          (19 posts)

18 years ago

is this thread giving an opportunity for mature musicians to laugh at younger ones? funny, i thought it's for mature musitions who want to help younger ones... my mistake. so i'll wait for the next inacuracy "them kids" are going to make and zbang them, looks like it's my turn. by the way, materials craftsmenship and appearance, the ref's are not close to the vi in my opinion and most people agree with that opinion. i suggest choosing something wiser and more correct next time you want to brag your amazing knowledge. oded

Reply To Post

9. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

I have three MK VI's and I recommend the REF 54 to players looking for their first pro horn. What is wiser and more correct? Kelsey has a right to his opinion as do all of us. I think a new horn is the best way to go for a young player. It's your turn to tell us that we are stupid because we have played MK VI's but don't recommend them to young players. If you don't like Americans we can't help you with that. I don't jam with you or Hamas Terry

10. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

I wasn't trying to be funny. I don't think Terry was trying to be funny. There have been times when I HAVE made fun of some of the teen experts that frequent these threads. I do it because I don't like them. I am a player as is Terry. We have our opinions that we share with each other and others. Too many of the young players have such an ego that they have trouble understanding professional advice without that little bit they do know getting in the way. Vintage Horn for Vintage guys. Get a life........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

11. by Mactenor
          (102 posts)

18 years ago

Guys, I did not mean to spark anger in any way, I was just expressing a viewpoint, an observation of todays marketplace. I would like to play a great Mark Vi sometime, I`m sure it would be a great experience. I am not a teen expert, I am not a teen, I`m 68 years old and not an expert at all, just a guy expressing a point of view. Best Regards Mactenor

Reply To Post

12. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

Mactenor, I'm sorry if I sounded angry. I was just expressing a viewpoint, like you, about todays marketplace. I have only played Mark Vls for the last 40 years and can't really comment on any of the new saxes except the Yamaha. I do have a Yamaha 62 that plays really great and I use it on gigs that are outside. The young musician sees the old guys with their vintage horns and think that's why they sound (in some cases) so good. It's not the horn but the player. I've heard great players on King Super 20s and old Conns and whatever. It's what you get use to. I've also heard both older and younger players with modern horns sound great too. My point is, you don't need a $9000. dollar Vintage horn to play jazz. A younger player is better served with a new Professional model. I play a Mark Vl because it's what I've done all my life. It's what I'm use to. What's wrong with a Kid playing a horn from their own generation?.......Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

13. by odedtzur
          (19 posts)

18 years ago

this is ridicules. terry: there is a way to express an opinion. i have a problem with people who try to make an impression of superiority, and that is what my critisizm was aimed at, not your viewpoint, to which you are certainly intitled. furthermore, it was aimed more at kelsey than at you. but problems with americans?? you don't jam with us or hamas? are you out of your mind or out of ideas to hold an arguement? what the **ck does it have to do with this topic? funny, because i orgenized a palestinian-israely jam session and it was great. your loss. kelsey: read the thread. the only one with an ego problem is you. get a wife...... (or a lover) oded

Reply To Post

14. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Oded I have played in Haifa and Netanya. I met a really nice girl in Netanya. The Israeli beer is really good. It was called Maccabe. I hope that you find happiness with your music :) Terry

15. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

Terry, this kid is typical teen self appointed expert. Oded would rather argue than listen. If he ever becomes a good player with his attitude no one will want to work with him. He has made both of our points and isn't even smart enough to know it. You can always tell them by the way they never fill out the bottom of their community profile. I think you must be a good player and I would like to here you sometime........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

16. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Keksey, The only reason that I tell these kids stuff, is so they don't make stupid decisions. You and I know that hindsight is 20/20. You try to give good advice about stuff, but they know it all. It's not the fact that you and I are professionals as much as we have experienced certain situations that they haven't. When I was that age I wanted to learn from the older players. My!!!! how the times have changed. :( Terry

17. by odedtzur
          (19 posts)

18 years ago

ok. i play a mark vi. most people who played it say it's the best horn they tried. thanks, but i don't need your advice here. mactenor needed it, and he is older than both of you. and he listened. who in this thread doesn't want to learn from you? saxplaya81? he is working on a "doctor of musical arts degree" and intitled to his opinion as well. if he thinks horns last longer than you think it doesn't mean he doesn't want to learn from experienced musicians. so who here doesn't listen? is it me? from the begining of this thread i havn't argued with anything except your attitude. i even agree with most of what you claim. signing each reply with "get a life" and bringing up this politics issue are the things i am arguing about and if that is "not wanting to learn" i don't know what to tell you, sorry. other people agree to play with me kelsey, i invite you to listen at www.jmc.co.il/musicfile.asp?mid=6 this is a classical quartet i played in, i don't play at those spesific recordings because it was before i joined, but you can get an idea. i'm mainly a jazz musician though. from the bottom of my heart i am sorry if i offended you two. i am 22 years old and if i am mature enough to say this maybe you are also. i sencerly think you have a problem if you can't stop boosting your egos on this forum, surios problem, and that's what i tried to make you pay attention to. i don't think i succeded. maybe older guys should learn to listen to younger ones sometimes. all the best, oded

Reply To Post

18. by saxplaya81
          (110 posts)

18 years ago

Just to verify im far from a young kid, or kid genius im a war veteran, have kids of my own, ive been a musician for the last 20 years, and pursuing a doctorate in music (about 2 years left). Just thought i'd throw that in there. My credentials speak for themselves. And like i said before Kelsey there is no age limit on buying certain saxophones, mark vi is special to you wow who cares, y do u care what someone else plays or offended that someone who is 18 or 19 has a mark vi. Obviously the person that needs to get a life is you. Vintage horns for everybody who buys them with their money. If you dont like it, then like not likin' it.

Reply To Post

19. by saxplaya81
          (110 posts)

18 years ago

Man im so sick of the people on here that have nothin better to do than to try and show how much better, or how much they know than the next person, i dont care how old you are, young you are whatever its the love of the music thats gonna keep it alive no matter what you play, Im happy when i see a young kid playing a vintage horn cus it tells me that he has a sense of history and culture especially when he could be listening to some nasty rap album or stupid screaming metal bull crap, we need to be more worried about keeping the music alive instead of worrying about petty B.S. like *WHINES* you're not old enough to play that you shouldnt have one *end whine* I dont think they made this site as a place for people to argue, its supposed to be a forum to bring musicians together and not put others down or try to hype yourself up.

Reply To Post

20. by saxplaya81
          (110 posts)

18 years ago

P.S. Kelsey

I won't hold being in the Navy against ya ;-) -Semper Fi-

Reply To Post

21. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: P.S. Kelsey

I never say hat I'm good, and I don't mention myself too much. Sometimes when I joke people get the wrong idea

22. by Roccosm
          (113 posts)

17 years ago

Re: P.S. Kelsey

Hey You deck swaber's , Real grunt's join the Army... LOL don't get P'SD a Joke......Little Creek Va. NSof Music 66

Reply To Post

23. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

odedtzur said: maybe older guys should learn to listen to younger ones sometimes. I just did, and I thought your quartet was pretty good.

Reply To Post

24. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

I have said to much on this forum. There are a few real players here but mostly it's just Lizard City. Most of you wouldn't know a real player if you heard one. This is my last post.......Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

18 years ago

I never understood why so many players are so hung up on the Mark VI. Sure, it's a great horn, but it was also inconsistent. I tried many of them. Some were great, some good, and some just horrible. I always thought that Conn 6m's and 26M's, Beuscher Aristocrats and 400's, King Zephyrs and Super 20's, and The Martins, were consistently better in tone than a Mark VI, if not as ergonomically efficient, though the King and Martin and 26M were close. Still, I find those old vintage horns had better tones. Can Johnny Hodges, Art Pepper, Cannonball Adderley, and Bird be wrong?

Reply To Post

1. by wvujazzman
          (48 posts)

18 years ago

"Still, I find those old vintage horns had better tones. Can Johnny Hodges, Art Pepper, Cannonball Adderley, and Bird be wrong?" Well, no... they're not wrong. But think about this... Cannonball Adderley was born in 1928. He died in 1975, and was playing a Mark VI at that time. his Super 20 was from his earlier days - 1950s and 60s. That horn wasn't exactly vintage at that time... it was modern, state of the art. The Mark VI was produced until 1973, just before he died. Again, a modern horn. It's not possible to hear any of the greats on horns that were made after their deaths. So I don't think it's a valid argument to justify the tone of older horns because that's what the great players used. Having said that, I wouldn't trade my 1936 BA tenor or 1946 6M alto for anything. I do love the sound, and I occasionally try new horns to see what's out there. There are some great modern horns, and if I was buying today, I'd have no issue with them. But I wouldn't trade my vintage stuff... In the end, a great player can sound great on anything. Eric

Reply To Post

1. by swingstreet
            (315 posts)

18 years ago

Some of the players you mentioned kept playing their old horns well after Mark VI's became available. Cannonball changed horns, but by then he was playing differently, and if you listen to his later recordings, he sounds quite different. Art Pepper went to prison for ten years so it would be unlikely that he would still have his Martin after he got out. The point I was making was how so many players want a Mark VI without even bothering to investigate other horns. I worked for a sax shop in the 90's, and we had lots of vintage horns. It just used to amaze me how many players would try out the Conns, Bueschers and Martins, as well as the Mark VI, and then say they liked the sound of the other horns better, but still chose a Mark VI. It was the name or reputation, or status, but had nothing to do with the sound they were looking for. The other thing were players, or pseudo-players, who wouldn't bother playing or testing other horns, just automatically ask for a Mark VI. Tone is a subjective thing. However, I try to tell sax players or would-be sax players to find a horn that sounds like what they want. If it is a quality horn, no matter what age or make, then a good repairman will make it feel right, and the other trick is to get the right mouthpiece for your horn. Most intonation problems I found most people have with vintage horns is that they fit the wrong kind of mouthpiece on it. I still advise people, go for the quality and sound of the horn first. Don't automatically assume that just because it's a Mark VI, it's the best horn ever made. It is and it isn't. Ergonomically, it may be ahead of many vintage horns. Tone-wise and build quality wise, it's no better or worse than the best vintage horns.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I think many younger players who enjoy music from yesterday; rather it be jazz, blues, bop, swing, etc., look for vintage horns in hopes of buying a piece of the "magic" behind the music. These old horns are special, and should be played and enjoyed by aspiring young musicians with the hopes of recreating the sounds of Parker, Desmond, Coltrane, Cannonball and others. I see nothing wrong with young players purchasing older vintage horns, but I would like to second Mactenor's advice. There are many great vintage horns, like the Buescher's that he mentioned. Conn 6M and 10M's, King Zephyrs and Super 20's, Martin Handcraft and Committe models, and other great vintage horns that are available for a lot less money than the ridiculous prices that the early Mark VI's are selling for. And, I can tell you kids, I own one of the first 50 Mark VI tenors ever made which I recently finished completely restoring. One of my envious friends calls it the "Holy Grail" of saxophones! I would never part with it, because in spite of the prices these horns are selling for, the sentimental value is priceless. BUT, the horn that I play 90% of the time is my 1948 Conn 10M Naked Lady. If you ever have a chance to experience the sound of a 10M, you'll understand why! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I would also like to add one thing. Vintage horns, like old cars and old people, do sometimes require a little more care. They may require a few more adjustments, and need a little dab of oil here and there, now and then. Play them with pride, and take care of them. Old vintage horns are not for everyone, and some may require more work and repair than they are worth, or you might want to spend. If you have the option of trying a horn before you buy one, you are far better off to do so. Taking your chances with Ebay, you might find a nice horn for a great price, but BUYER BEWARE! The horn might need an extensive overhaul and a considerable amount of work. Educate yourself through this forum and other helpful sites. Feel free to email me with any questions or concerns. Make an educated purchase. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by swingstreet
              (315 posts)

18 years ago

A few posters here think that the reasons some of us may prefer vintage horns is because we want to sound like our old inspirations. That's not the reason at all, in most cases. I happen to admire Johnny Hodges and Benny Carter. However, I didn't buy a Beuscher Aristocrat or a gold-plated Selmer Mark VI to sound like either of them. I have a Conn 6M and a "The Martin" Alto, to sound like myself. However, vintage horns from Beuscher, Conn, King and Martin are also extremely well-made. They are solidly built horns, and because they have been played extensively, in most cases, the metal from the old horns achieve a resonance that comes from many years of playing. Also, I notice a difference in tone between vintage and modern horns. True, the vintage horn of today was once a new horn, and the new horn of today is tomorrow's vintage horn. However, having played and listened to so many horns in my life, I hear a distinct difference between old and modern horns. Much of it may have to do with the fact that in playing modern music, horns have to have a brighter, thinner tone in order to be heqard above all the noise of an electric band. Many young players do not play with a sense of dynamics. Old horns have more complex tonal characteristics than many modern horns in my opinion. Of course, there are modern horns that have these characteristics, but are extremely expensive. With the exceptin of a Mark VI, which I always thought was ridiculously overpriced, most top quality vintage horns can be had for half or less.

Reply To Post

4. by mels
              (13 posts)

18 years ago

Play every sax you can get your hands on when you are looking for a vintage horn, even if some of them aren't the more popular brands. I have a 1932 Holton that I would pick over my father's vi any day. I probably couldn't sell my horn for over $300 if I tried just because nobody would give it a chance. Sad, really.

Reply To Post

5. by pri_nce33
              (7 posts)

17 years ago

I can see why VIs are so nice they are just good horns they have the sound that people like, I mean there is a reason why poeple jack up the prices on them and thats becauses people will pay the money to get them. The people who want them mostly arnt even players, they are collectors, of course every one will pay the money to get a VI because it is a VI. Whether it be because its the best playing horn of your life or because its the feeling of having a Mark VI in your hands people will do it. And its not just mark VIs, SBA tenors can go for easily 11,000 bones to some collector in japan, but do you think and average player will pay that, no. Am I going to buy a gold plated Mark VI #86xxx, for $12,000, no.I had a Mark VI alto #114xxx that I bought and after I got it i tried a SBA alto that played so much better than it and the SBA went for $3800, about $500 less than the VI. And guess what, the SBA and BA altos are going to jump up just as high as the Mark VIs are now just becuase people are discovering them, and they are becoming fewer and fewer in numbers. I'm tring right now about the best horn 've ever played on and it's a Balanced action alto #25010 and I like it more than any other Mark VI I've ever tried. When it comes down to it I'll play on any horn, Martins, Conns, Kings, Selmers, Yamahas,Holtons,old,new, or even a Grafton. About the most expensive horn I've ever bought was a Ref 54 on WWBW for $4750 as joke just to see these things, and it was still a factory second. I've met my fare share of palyers that are my age , and I say Mark VI and they look at me like "what are you talking about?" As far as sounding like old players, I'm 17 my fav. player is Sonny Rollins, Why? Because I like his playing style and his Melodic Ideas that he puts in his solos. I could really care less about what his horn sounds like or what kind it is. I listen to the dynamics of the horn I'm playing on, I prefer a Solid center, slightly darker, and slightly more focused sound. I can get that on a Balanced action or an 82z. But i would play on a balanced action because its a better made horn. Better materials, better crasftmanship. I don't really feel like saying up long hours repadding my new sax. By and by we're not just kids who are trying to sound like every other player, or go buy some sax that is way too over priced just because Coltrane on the same one. Just like saxes we younger players are going to be old sooner or later.

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
            (282 posts)

17 years ago

What a lot of spirited discussion on the Selmer Mark VI subject. I appreciate many of the responses. Jim, Mr. 10M, sounds like the voice of reason near the bottom of these postings - at present. As the original owner of a 5 digit, 1961 Mark VI Tenor, I admit that I'll be biased. But I have tried other horns. And since I have some age and experience I can notice differences. The Buffet of the same vintage as my horn was clunky, heavy and stuffy to me - but I'm sure many people make beautiful music on them. THE Martin Tenor had a great sound, but the keywork was not as easy as a VI. I wanted to like Dolnet - but that kind of breathy almost stuffy quality that Lester Young had might be endemic to the horn. The 1950's Conn I tried had a nice bright sound - again the keywork seemed a bit more difficult - but I'm sure I could get used to it. The best alto man I know plays a 1940's Conn. And the best tenor guy I personally know usually uses a King Super 20, although he has an old Selmer. What a sound he gets! But I don't think he'd use the King in a classical setting. So although I have my personal likes and dislikes, I'm not conceited enough to think that you can't be good on anything but a Selmer. Recently a guy let me try a Selmer Reference 36 tenor. Wow what a beautiful horn! Nice action, easy blowing, good sound. But better than my somewhat cosmetically challenged 45 year old horn? I did not think so. How nice though for buyers today to have such a choice in a brand new horn, along with the modern Selmers, Keilwerths, Japanese brands et al. How nice it would be to have a new horn! But $200 for a re-pad sounds so much better than $2000 or $5000 or whatever. It all boils down to personal choice and fans of the slower selling brands should not be offended at the preponderance of Selmer fans for the simple fact that there can be more of us because they made more in the first place. As to new versus vintage, I'm personally thrilled to see youngsters appreciating and continuing to care for horns of the past. And since all the moving parts can get replaced, the only thing that would seem to doom vintage horns to obsolesence is the fad of stripping all the lacquer off. Isn't lacquer put there to protect the brass? Later cats.

Reply To Post

1. by mels
              (13 posts)

17 years ago

I have been watching an auction on ebay recently for a 1966 VI tenor. This horn was literally brand new, still in it's original plastic wrap. I couldn't believe it when the auction ended for almost $15,000.

Reply To Post

1. by Roccosm
                (113 posts)

17 years ago

Did You see the Brand New never played Tenor M6 for 25,000. but You must play it first I think. I cant remember the SN, keep an eye on these Mauriat sax's

Reply To Post